• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wow a Whole Episode Just to Spin...

I think Zacharias' commentary on cults correlates well with this discusion.

Hold your breath while I take what you think seriously.....................................................................................

what are you disagreeing with? do you really think dana wouldn't prefer to have the most marketable fighter possible? of course he would. it's common sense. why is this even being debated. it's common sense.

Probably because Dana is a better marketer than you and obviously disagrees with you?

Miesha saying Ronda didn't deserve a title shot, questioning her skills and reputation as a fighter, and accusing Ronda of getting a shot on looks alone isn't "par for the course", its completely childish, immature, and totally disrespectful. She was mad because she knew she had to defend her title against a better fighter who was getting more publicity for her. Ronda giving her the finger because she's trying to pretend to be respectful now is just giving Tate what she has coming.

I don't mind the pranks, and I get that its tradition. I'm not even saying Tate should stop. But you're pretending, like Tate is, that its all just for "fun" and its clearly not. She knows exactly what she's doing. That's why guys like me chuckle when Tate supporters keep calling out Ronda's behavior as "childish" (and I never disagreed by the way) while pretending Tate is just some poor innocent girl, trying to show respect and be "professional". That has nothing to do with it. She's resented Ronda from the start. And why not? She knows deep down she never earned the chance to be on TUF, she's there because of Ronda. She wasn't even the next fighter ranked after Cat so that doesn't wash. Its because of Ronda. She's only in the UFC because of Ronda.

ronda didn't deserve a shot in the eyes of many, but that's just mind games, trying to make her doubt herself.

ronda didn't deserve a shot in the eyes of many, but that's just mind games, trying to make her doubt herself.

So you went from demanding evidence from me that Miesha was "manipulating" Ronda to now arguing that Miesha was trying to "manipulate" Ronda?

athletes are a product, they are a brand, and ronda's brand has been damaged as a result of the show.

You keep saying it, but with no evidence.

Why did Dana White, in his first sentences introducing Rousey to the UFC audience, call her mean, nasty and say she talks like a "female Diaz brother". He basically announced to the world "Hey everybody, we're bringing in a b*tch!". That's her brand. A badass b*tch who doesn't care what anyone thinks of her.

When asked about TUF the other night, he referenced these original comments, perplexed that people were expecting anything different.

Hold your breath while I take what you think seriously.....................................................................................

"Thankfully, that's not very hard." - Charlotte Whitten :wink:

Professional wrestling has nothing to do with MMA, that's the point. The only boxing example you gave was Mike Tyson, a guy who was in prison for rape and disqualified in a fight for biting off someone's ear. The fact that you're comparing him to Ronda giving Tate the finger is just ridiculous and over the top. You have no facts. Its a FACT that Dana has done nothing to try and change the way Ronda is portrayed or defend her "image". If he was losing money, or leaving money on the table, he'd certainly do "damage control". But he's not, so.......?

it has nothing to do with what mike did, the spirit of what i'm saying still rings true.

i used mike as an example, but it wasn't needed because it's common flipping sense! the more marketable you are, the more you will be marketed, the more sponsors, the more money, the more asses in seats, etc etc etc. dana is a promoter, so he'd obviously like to have the most marketable fighter.

mike tyson is a PRIME example of a fighter who could have been extremely marketable, but wasn't as a result of his behavior. i mean, is there ANY better example? he admits this himself. and it's like this for any sports star.

Probably because Dana is a better marketer than you and obviously disagrees with you?

he doesn't disagree with me. if your sports star turns off fans, they are going to be asked to market less products. it's pretty simple really.

he doesn't disagree with me. if your sports star turns off fans, they are going to be asked to market less products. it's pretty simple really.

That's why Dana is trying like all get out to reverse this tide of misfortune isn't he? oh, wait.....

So you went from demanding evidence from me that Miesha was "manipulating" Ronda to now arguing that Miesha was trying to "manipulate" Ronda?

i thought you were speaking about the show, but of course both parties will play mind games leading up to the fight. but keep it professional. don't flip people off, don't cuss them out, don't claim they are racist, don't disrespect their spouce, don't do it. stick to the fight.

in this case i think ronda, like she said, is trying to piss meisha off, and meisha not falling for it, is driving ronda nuts. she's losing the mind games element of the lead up. she's still going to win imo, but she is being exposed as mentally weak.

That's why Dana is trying like all get out to reverse this tide of misfortune isn't he? oh, wait.....

what can he do? the show is the show. and if you don't think they are going to try to rehab her reputation you don't know shit about promotions. that's one of the things promoters do.

i thought you were speaking about the show, but of course both parties will play mind games leading up to the fight. but keep it professional. don't flip people off, don't cuss them out, don't claim they are racist, don't disrespect their spouce, don't do it. stick to the fight.

in this case i think ronda, like she said, is trying to piss meisha off, and meisha not falling for it, is driving ronda nuts. she's losing the mind games element of the lead up. she's still going to win imo, but she is being exposed as mentally weak.

I don't disagree with that, other than the "mentally weak" part. You don't go through what she has and overcome what she has by being mentally weak. Clearly immature, sure. My only beef is that Tate is no less immature. Her childishness is more underhanded and less confrontational, but its still childish.

You keep saying it, but with no evidence.

Why did Dana White, in his first sentences introducing Rousey to the UFC audience, call her mean, nasty and say she talks like a "female Diaz brother". He basically announced to the world "Hey everybody, we're bringing in a b*tch!". That's her brand. A badass b*tch who doesn't care what anyone thinks of her.

When asked about TUF the other night, he referenced these original comments, perplexed that people were expecting anything different.

if she was a diaz and acted like them then this would all be good. the diaz bros are crack ups. ronda doesn't look like a diaz bro, she looks terrible.

would a diaz bro flip out and cry and call people racist? lol.

what can he do? the show is the show. and if you don't think they are going to try to rehab her reputation you don't know shit about promotions. that's one of the things promoters do.

This particular promoter just openly mocked people who hate on Ronda because of how she was portrayed on TUF. So maybe Dana doesn't know shit about promotions? I find that an odd position to take, considering how he's turned the UFC into practically a mainstream sport.

i've given you several examples, from pro wrestling to boxing, if you cant accept facts i don't know what to tell you. but to suggest that a hated fighter is as profitable as a loved fighter is nonsense. this is common sense.

athletes are a product, they are a brand, and ronda's brand has been damaged as a result of the show.
Semi interesting concept I've ruminated on a few times.

There are two types of "hated" fighters. Fighters like Sonnen are hated but still watched.

Then there are fighters who are what I refer to as disliked. That means they really don't generate great emotion from the fans. Nobody wants to see them.

And the emotion that they do generate is one of dismissal than anything else. Tim Sylvia was a good example of this type of fighter. Some thought he had a bit of arrogance to him. Some thought he was a good guy. But he never really meshed with his fan base. He wasn't ever very popular.

Now, I don't disagree with what you say about heels making less money overall. However, I think in the short term, with a big enough push, Ronda's villain/heel could pay off rather well.

However, she can easily be changed into a hero/face again afterward. Miesha herself is in the process of doing it this season. Hell, she pretty much already has.

Ronda's biggest issue would be entering the disliked territory. I don't think she has with the most important fan base, the casuals.

As long as they see Ronda as hard core and an anti hero, or a sweet girl who just goes crazy when Miesha gets involved; they are going to be interested.

Even if the more wise MMA fan sees through the charade.

I could be wrong, but I've kicked it around some, and it seems to be what is happening here. Dana doesn't give two squirts about the hard core fan. As long as he can get that casual buy; he is happy.

He knows that most core fans will tune in regardless.

Plus, this is just the co-main. The greatest champion in UFC history looking to avenge his first defeat in the organization he became famous in. With the added WMMA super grudge match playing supporting role.

Again, if I am wrong, please feel free to pick me apart. I could be missing some crucial information.

I think McMann captures this sentiment well:

In the meantime, she wishes Rousey would represent herself and the sport with more class. Rousey recently criticized Olympic great Michael Phelps

I don't disagree with that, other than the "mentally weak" part. You don't go through what she has and overcome what she has by being mentally weak. Clearly immature, sure. My only beef is that Tate is no less immature. Her childishness is more underhanded and less confrontational, but its still childish.

well fuck bro, that's the whole point. sure pranking is childish, it's the degree of childishness that matters here. and ronda is like leval 4000 childish lol.

Semi interesting concept I've ruminated on a few times.

There are two types of "hated" fighters. Fighters like Sonnen are hated but still watched.

Then there are fighters who are what I refer to as disliked. That means they really don't generate great emotion from the fans. Nobody wants to see them.

And the emotion that they do generate is one of dismissal than anything else. Tim Sylvia was a good example of this type of fighter. Some thought he had a bit of arrogance to him. Some thought he was a good guy. But he never really meshed with his fan base. He wasn't ever very popular.

Now, I don't disagree with what you say about heels making less money overall. However, I think in the short term, with a big enough push, Ronda's villain/heel could pay off rather well.

However, she can easily be changed into a hero/face again afterward. Miesha herself is in the process of doing it this season. Hell, she pretty much already has.

Ronda's biggest issue would be entering the disliked territory. I don't think she has with the most important fan base, the casuals.

As long as they see Ronda as hard core and an anti hero, or a sweet girl who just goes crazy when Miesha gets involved; they are going to be interested.

Even if the more wise MMA fan sees through the charade.

I could be wrong, but I've kicked it around some, and it seems to be what is happening here. Dana doesn't give two squirts about the hard core fan. As long as he can get that casual buy; he is happy.

He knows that most core fans will tune in regardless.

Plus, this is just the co-main. The greatest champion in UFC history looking to avenge his first defeat in the organization he became famous in. With the added WMMA super grudge match playing supporting role.

Again, if I am wrong, please feel free to pick me apart. I could be missing some crucial information.

I don't disagree, but just curious: why did you go with "squirts" there? Seems like an odd word usage. Not hating on it, just fascinated me.

This particular promoter just openly mocked people who hate on Ronda because of how she was portrayed on TUF. So maybe Dana doesn't know shit about promotions? I find that an odd position to take, considering how he's turned the UFC into practically a mainstream sport.

dude, stoked they took the dubs off, i felt like shit for that lol.

what do you expect dana to do? say ronda is a nut case and is losing fans and he wishes she could be more professional?

I don't disagree, but just curious: why did you go with "squirts" there? Seems like an odd word usage. Not hating on it, just fascinated me.
That exact reason.

You probably wondered what type of squirts they were too.

Back