Would you want to engage in an experiment similar to the one in The Village?

Again, you're making assumptions and treating them as evidence for your argument. While I believe there is a possibility of intelligent life outside Earth, I'll wait for the evidence. I'm not going to assume:

a) there are aliens --> b) they are more advanced than us --> c) they can travel long distances through space

Remember, the movie "Independence Day" is a work of fiction. Also, unless you have evidence of the contrary available why wouldn't I think humans are the most advanced seeing as we have no other civilization to compare.

I did not ask you to assume. I specifically used the word "imagine". Inviting the reader to look from a certain perspective. I would not present it as fact. I would say that if the civilization could reach us it would have to be more advanced as fact.

That movie was a huge disappointment for me. I went in expecting an ancient feud between forest monsters and humans, but instead received monster costumes and a stabby retard.

Back on topic, I would not want to participate in an experiment like the Village as I enjoy technology and the benefits of modern day life. Getting away from it for a few days or a week is nice from time to time i.e. camping, but I absolutely would not want to live that way permanently. It would be days filled with hard manual labour with little variety of food, drink and recreation available.

Life exists outside of planet Earth, that's a fact. All of the other stuff is theoretical, but there is no disputing that there is life elsewhere. If we exist, of course others exist. It would be out right idiotic to assume otherwise.

The notion that aliens exist is a logical presumption, the idea that they don't is actually the assumption.

We have evidence intelligent life exists elsewhere? No shit, link me to the evidence. I haven't heard about this.

Also, "we exist so of course others (assuming you mean aliens) exist" is pretty LOL logic

You don't get the hate and you think THIS movie is Shyamalan's best? Ok, cool I guess.

It's an awesome tale of a group of people who experienced great loss and, in their sorrow, dared to do something radical to create a better world for future generations. To me, the story is the most interesting of all of M. Night's movies, and I think the film is near-perfectly executed.

1. The Village
2. Signs
3. The Sixth Sense
4. Unbreakable
5. The Happening
6 (tie): Lady in the Water / The Last Airbender

Yep, gotta love the "innocence" of 18th century America. Darn technology taking us away from that "innocence." lol wtf

Have you even seen the movie? I'm not saying the 1800s were an innocent time, I'm saying the founding villagers in the movie used the trappings of the 1800s to build a more innocent society within the modern world. Consider this quote from William Hurt's character:

Who do you think will continue this place, this life? Do you plan to live forever? It is in them that our future lies, it is in Ivy and Lucius that this way of life will continue. Yes I have risked, I hope I am always able to risk everything for the just and right cause. If we did not make this decision, we could never again call ourselves innocent, and that in the end is what we have protected here, innocence! That I'm not ready to give up.

In the world of the film, this is what they set out to do and they were pretty successful at it.

You've watched the Terminator movies too much. Movies like that have given people this weird notion that technology is something to be wary of.

I have this notion because I existed before the Internet and other digital technologies had taken over everything and I very clearly remember what that was like. And in a lot of ways, I think it was better.

How would this experiment play out? I mean everyone participating would know there is an outside world that they can go back to at anytime.

Sure, they would know. But the founding villagers in the movie also knew. It doesn't have to be about not knowing the outside world exists. It's about choosing to be part of something different because you find value there.

But if you're really intoxicated by the romantic view of this simple life, you could always join an Amish community if they allow it.

I'm not really interested in that. Their whole community and way of life is fueled by religious beliefs that I don't share.

If not that, you could always go buy land when you have the means and live out the rest of your life on a secluded farm. Or go live in the woods. I'm pretty sure there have been stories of a couple raising their kids in an environment with no electricity or running water.

Well then it's just me, or just me and my family. I'm more thinking along the lines of creating an entire self-contained community. In fact, I'm thinking not just one village but three, each having somewhere between 50 and 100 members and each separated by about 20 miles. That way there's room to move around and satisfy the need to explore and get to know other people while remaining true to the original vision for the place.

It's an awesome tale of a group of people who experienced great loss and, in their sorrow, dared to do something radical to create a better world for future generations. To me, the story is the most interesting of all of M. Night's movies, and I think the film is near-perfectly executed.

1. The Village
2. Signs
3. The Sixth Sense
4. Unbreakable
5. The Happening
6 (tie): Lady in the Water / The Last Airbender

Either you're a troll or insane. Either way, there's probably no point in trying to have a coherent discussion here lol

Either you're a troll or insane. Either way, there's probably no point in trying to have a coherent discussion here lol

You've been combative since the moment you entered the thread, for some reason. That's not very Mayberry of you. In any case, I assume you feel those movies should be ranked HIGHER?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic, I would not want to participate in an experiment like the Village as I enjoy technology and the benefits of modern day life. Getting away from it for a few days or a week is nice from time to time i.e. camping, but I absolutely would not want to live that way permanently. It would be days filled with hard manual labour with little variety of food, drink and recreation available.

I don't know that I would want to do it forever, but I could definitely get on board to try it out for a year. I think it would be a very interesting experience and possibly one that I could grow accustomed to, provided most of my fellow villagers were cool.

The_Village-22.jpg

Jesse Eisenberg still looks the same.

Jesse Eisenberg still looks the same.

Funny thing is, I had no idea he was even in the movie until last night when I saw him in the opening credits. I was like, "No shit, Jesse Eisenberg's up in this motherfucker?" And I've seen the movie several times.

TS, life has always been riddled with violence and such, because people bring that about -- not technology. In fact, the idea that a simpler life is more peaceful isn't true at all. People have been butchering each other since the beginning of recorded history and it's actually better now than it use to be.

Now, if you find the idea of a simpler life appealing in the sense that you'd only have to worry about putting food on the table, and not social media updates, business marketing, etc. then I can see where you're coming from. But as far as compassion or morality goes -- people have always been fucked up to one another.

I don't think that simply living without technology would make a person or a society more peaceful or moral. No doubt plenty of despicable people lived before the advent of electricity. But I think that, within the framework of a group of people committed to building a certain type of society--like the people in the movie, trying to preserve innocence, willing to risk everything for the just and right cause--then the trappings of 18th century life could be a useful tool.

For instance, let's take the village scenario in the movie. A group of very principled people already have the right mindset to create a peaceful and harmonious environment. And they use an 18th century framework to do that, specifically a framework that will, for instance:

1. Eliminate all drug addition because drugs simply are not around

2. Bind the members of the community together for a common purpose

3. Eliminate the possibility of kids getting fat because of potato chips and video games; instead they eat sensibly and go play outside

4. Increase interpersonal communication skills because all communication must be handled face to face rather than over e-mail or text messaging

5. Strengthen a sense of community, because so many more activities are necessarily communal in nature

These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I'm certain there are more. All I'm really saying is that in the right hands this framework could be used as a tool to good effect.

I don't think that simply living without technology would make a person or a society more peaceful or moral. No doubt plenty of despicable people lived before the advent of electricity. But I think that, within the framework of a group of people committed to building a certain type of society--like the people in the movie, trying to preserve innocence, willing to risk everything for the just and right cause--then the trappings of 18th century life could be a useful tool.

For instance, let's take the village scenario in the movie. A group of very principled people already have the right mindset to create a peaceful and harmonious environment. And they use an 18th century framework to do that, specifically a framework that will, for instance:

1. Eliminate all drug addition because drugs simply are not around

2. Bind the members of the community together for a common purpose

3. Eliminate the possibility of kids getting fat because of potato chips and video games; instead they eat sensibly and go play outside

4. Increase interpersonal communication skills because all communication must be handled face to face rather than over e-mail or text messaging

5. Strengthen a sense of community, because so many more activities are necessarily communal in nature

These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I'm certain there are more. All I'm really saying is that in the right hands this framework could be used as a tool to good effect.

Amish community. Yea they have a religion but I'm sure the overwhelming majority believe in that religion and obviously they think the way they're living is for a just and right cause.

Seriously, it seems like your view of reality comes from movies.

Will there be orange soda in the village?

Well then it's just me, or just me and my family. I'm more thinking along the lines of creating an entire self-contained community. In fact, I'm thinking not just one village but three, each having somewhere between 50 and 100 members and each separated by about 20 miles. That way there's room to move around and satisfy the need to explore and get to know other people while remaining true to the original vision for the place.

It's called a commune.

They're not as popular as they were in the 70's but I'm sure there are still some around if you look hard enough.

Just be prepared for everyone to fuck everyone and to do other people's work when they're too lazy.

That movie was a huge disappointment for me. I went in expecting an ancient feud between forest monsters and humans, but instead received monster costumes and a stabby retard.

I think the marketing was misleading here--and if that's what people went into the movie wanting I can see why they would leave unsatisfied. But ultimately, the movie tackles much greater themes than people vs monsters, and I think that if you go back and watch it, paying very closely to what the movie is really trying to SAY, you'll see that what M. Night ultimately gave us is much grander than any cheap horror movie could be.

It's called a commune.

They're not as popular as they were in the 70's but I'm sure there are still some around if you look hard enough.

Just be prepared for everyone to fuck everyone and to do other people's work when they're too lazy.

I'm aware of communes. I'm specifically talking about the sort of village we see in the movie, with the same sorts of beliefs, ideals and practices.

We have evidence intelligent life exists elsewhere? No shit, link me to the evidence. I haven't heard about this.

Also, "we exist so of course others (assuming you mean aliens) exist" is pretty LOL logic

We have located a planet that is basically identical to Earth and could potentially house life at the same capacity that Earth does. We have also found bacteria on a meteorite that traveled from Mars.

And no, that's not "lol logic" -- it's perfectly logical. It is out right impossible for a truly isolated incident to exist. If absolutely anything transpires, it transpires across multiple happenings because it simply doesn't have the potential to transpire unless that potential is strong enough to recreate the same event. In order for an occurrence to transpire, the potential for that occurrence must be strong enough to bring about its existence -- which means that multiple occurrences are required for any occurrence to transpire. If something exists, it exists numerously.

I think the marketing was misleading here--and if that's what people went into the movie wanting I can see why they would leave unsatisfied. But ultimately, the movie tackles much greater themes than people vs monsters, and I think that if you go back and watch it, paying very closely to what the movie is really trying to SAY, you'll see that what M. Night ultimately gave us is much grander than any cheap horror movie could be.

I understood that he was trying to show how violence is inherent to the human condition, but that's not what I was expecting and not what I wanted to see at the time. I was expecting human vs monster violence and not a look into the nature of human vs human violence. The marketing was indeed misleading here as all of the trailers suggested that there was going to be a rumble between the village people and the forest monsters. I probably wouldn't dislike the movie if I were to watch it now, but it's not what I wanted when I went to the theater back then.

It's not exactly a recent experiment.

They were tried long before the hippie days: New Harmony, Indiana or the Amana(?) Colonies in Iowa off the top of my head.

They ones that have some success (in terms of longevity/ population stability) are almost always based on religion.

Back