Would you want to engage in an experiment similar to the one in The Village?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Guestx

Guestx Guest

So I rewatched The Village last night.

First, I'd just like to say that The Village is a great, and underrated, movie with an interesting concept, excellent direction, excellent performances, an excellent score and absolutely gorgeous cinematography on the part of Roger Deakins. Furthermore, M. Night Shyamalan is an underrated director, and of all his films, The Village is probably the best. The more I watch this movie, the more I realize how masterfully crafted it is. I do not get the hate.

Second, it got me to thinking, what would it be like to actually attempt an experiment like this? Let's get past all the logistics of keeping planes from flying overhead and whatnot, and instead focus on the core idea: To recreate innocence via isolation from all modern cities and peoples, isolation from modern technology, and living a way of life according to the ways and customs of 18th century America.

Personally, I find the idea intriguing, and perhaps even appealing. I am very wary of the permeation of technology in today's society, and have come to believe that for all its benefits it is actually doing us more harm than good by making us more cynical, less trusting, less considerate of others, and in some cases more perverse. And then there are the privacy concerns, which are innumerable.

But even going beyond modern technology, I sometimes wonder if we've gone too far as a culture in terms of rejecting traditional values in favor of modernism and liberalism. I actually regard myself as fairly liberal in many ways, but I do often think that things have gotten out of hand, especially in regard to the sexualization of pretty much everything today. And while many call that "progress," the more I stop and think about it the more I think it might actually be a regression.

It may be a hopelessly romantic notion, but I find something appealing about the idea of a simpler society, based upon community, family, honest work and simple pleasures. If I had the opportunity to participate in an experiment like this, I would definitely take it. I'm not saying it wouldn't eventually get old or I wouldn't eventually want to return to modern society, but I at least would be down to have that kind of experience once in my life.

Am I alone in this? Or are there others out there who find this an intriguing proposition?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scrubido

scrubido Brown Belt

You could walk in with a rifle and a couple of pistols and literally take their women from them.

3. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

I was disappointed when I found out the twist . I didn't care about the movieafter I found out the monsters in the woods were just the old people, but the twist about them being in isolation was cool.

4. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I can understand why someone who was looking for a horror movie would be disappointed, but what's more intriguing to me are the ideas behind the movie. So this group of people create this society and also create this whole mythology to keep the younger people within the borders of the village. From time to time, naturally, they have to provide some evidence of this mythology to keep the kids believing. It's pretty ingenious, really.

5. philth

philth Purple Belt

Doesn't that place already exist?

[​IMG]

6. $uicideboy$

$uicideboy$ ROPE GANG Banned

lol @

7. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

You don't get the hate and you think THIS movie is Shyamalan's best? Ok, cool I guess.

Yep, gotta love the "innocence" of 18th century America. Darn technology taking us away from that "innocence." lol wtf

You've watched the Terminator movies too much. Movies like that have given people this weird notion that technology is something to be wary of.

Even in this age of technology, there are still people who hold onto traditional values so obviously technology isn't destroying those values. Maybe there is a different reason the next generation largely rejects traditional values? Maybe because a lot of traditional values are bunk.

How would this experiment play out? I mean everyone participating would know there is an outside world that they can go back to at anytime.

But if you're really intoxicated by the romantic view of this simple life, you could always join an Amish community if they allow it. If not that, you could always go buy land when you have the means and live out the rest of your life on a secluded farm. Or go live in the woods. I'm pretty sure there have been stories of a couple raising their kids in an environment with no electricity or running water.

However, I don't think the reality of the situation will match the romantic take that movies portray.

8. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

No one was looking for a horror movie going into The Village. It was presented as a horror movie up until the twist.

And I'm sorry, what is ingenious about scaring kids into behaving a certain way? It's not like humans haven't been doing that for centuries.

9. Hyperglide

Hyperglide Bonafide. Known To Ride.

The Village is complete trash.

10. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

I liked the movie but the village is full of idiots. Bad things have been happening throughout time there is no time when things were perfect. So I see no point in going back. If we really want true peace we're only going to find that in our future if it even exists.

11. ultraninjastar

ultraninjastar Supreme Overlord

The technology of destroying our own environment? Or the technology where we blow each other up? Imagine an Alien species with real technology. They would think we are worse than cockroaches. At least they don't have wars or destroy their environment and the environment of every living thing on the planet. They might even be inclined to prevent our possible spread to other planets. (typed from my solar powered, wooden telegraph)

12. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

lol what? Not only are you assuming the existence of aliens with advanced technology, you are also assuming they don't have wars or destroy their environment? Do you really think the stories you make up in your head are in fact reality?

Also, humans have been warring with each other for a LOOOOONG time. Yes, technology has given us more firepower, but that doesn't mean they weren't fighting each other and using the land's resources for sustenance centuries ago.

13. Krav McGraw

Krav McGraw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I don't know anything about this movie but the myth that people were safer and happier back in the good ol' days has been strongly challenged and imo debunked thoroughly:

14. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

It's weird. It seems those history classes we all took in school were wasted if we have people thinking that there was a time in history that was peaceful and glorious (or innocent lol).

15. ultraninjastar

ultraninjastar Supreme Overlord

I really don't have a solar powered telegraph I was being mostly sarcastic. If an alien civilization exists which can observe or travel here it would be more advanced than ours. If it wasnt they couldnt make it this far. Are you assuming we are the most advanced? I wont hate on you. Most people thought the earth was the center of the universe not long ago. What is real though is the earth population more than doubling in the last 40 years. We are using more than double the resources we were using then.
    ( I am becoming too much of a negative person lately, some say)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  16. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

Again, you're making assumptions and treating them as evidence for your argument. While I believe there is a possibility of intelligent life outside Earth, I'll wait for the evidence. I'm not going to assume:

a) there are aliens --> b) they are more advanced than us --> c) they can travel long distances through space

Remember, the movie "Independence Day" is a work of fiction. Also, unless you have evidence of the contrary available why wouldn't I think humans are the most advanced seeing as we have no other civilization to compare.

17. Real_Magi

Real_Magi Black Belt

TS, life has always been riddled with violence and such, because people bring that about -- not technology. In fact, the idea that a simpler life is more peaceful isn't true at all. People have been butchering each other since the beginning of recorded history and it's actually better now than it use to be.

Now, if you find the idea of a simpler life appealing in the sense that you'd only have to worry about putting food on the table, and not social media updates, business marketing, etc. then I can see where you're coming from. But as far as compassion or morality goes -- people have always been fucked up to one another.

Life exists outside of planet Earth, that's a fact. All of the other stuff is theoretical, but there is no disputing that there is life elsewhere. If we exist, of course others exist. It would be out right idiotic to assume otherwise.

The notion that aliens exist is a logical presumption, the idea that they don't is actually the assumption.

18. Krav McGraw

Krav McGraw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think all of your assumptions here are false.

Information and communication increase empathy, trust, consideration, etc. Not the other way around.

19. Flemmy Stardust

Flemmy Stardust King of Lea

Amish country is a hop, skip, and a jump away from me and I've never been there...so I guess I wouldn't.

20. zackryder

zackryder Long Island Iced Z Platinum Member

holy shizz is dat lex luthor? didnt even notice him watchin the 1st time around