Would you rather be remembered as a piece of sh*t or not remembered at all?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Take someone like Charles Manson. Lunatic who started a cult and ordered the murders of people. He will go down in History as one of the most famous criminals ever. People write books about him. Would you rather be remembered like that or say die as someone who never really did anything memorable in his life never had kids...etc?I honestly dont know which i would choose.

I started wondering because i have a cousin who is 46 never been married (never had a serious gf i dont think), no kids, overweight, and is poor. I hang out with him frequently though and i always feel bad because i think to myself if he dies the world would be like he never existed. Weird i know but i think that would suck.

Last edited:
Infamy is still a kind of fame, isn't it?

Personally I'm not really worried about how many people remember me (which is kind of what fame is) but how well the few people who do think of me.

It doesn't really matter to me, I'm not concerned about leaving a legacy or anything. Everyone will be forgotten from history at some point, just some take longer to forget than others.

i place no value on being remembered by anyone other than my loved ones.

I won't care after I'm dead and don't really care now.

Maybe. Depends on the circumstances.

Napoleon Bonaparte has a famous quote about this.

I rather be forgotten, in fact I prefer it over even positive fame. Even with a large family the vast majority of us are forgotten within two generations.

Isn't there a name for this? Being remembered for bad stuff I mean. I heard it often when that german pilot crashed the airplane on purpose some time ago but I forgot it now.

Tupac-Shakur-i-dont-give-a-fuck.gif

...that answer your question?

I don't want to be remembered for bad things. Shoot for a great legacy and as long as you aren't a top 1% worst piece of shit in the world, the worst you should suffer is your memory fading away.

I would never want to be remembered like Charles Manson. I can't believe that it's hard for you to choose.

imagine being so insecure that you care about what people think of you during the eternity after your consciousness has ceased to exist

Take someone like Charles Manson. Lunatic who started a cult and ordered the murders of people. He will go down in History as one of the most famous criminals ever. People write books about him. Would you rather be remembered like that or say die as someone who never really did anything memorable in his life never had kids...etc?I honestly dont know which i would choose.

I started wondering because i have a cousin who is 46 never been married (never had a serious gf i dont think), no kids, overweight, and is poor. I hang out with him frequently though and i always feel bad because i think to myself if he dies the world would be like he never existed. Weird i know but i think that would suck.

So youre hung up on rather or not it's preferable to be remembered for hurting people or to go the route 99.9 % of us go anyhow and not be remarkable outside of our immediate circle ? Thats Some ego you got there dude.

You were space dust once upon a time , and you'll be space dust once again . Better get used to that and make the most of what you got going on now, in a positive way preferably.

imagine being so insecure that you care about what people think of you during the eternity after your consciousness has ceased to exist

So youre hung up on rather or not it's preferable to be remembered for hurting people or to go the route 99.9 % of us go anyhow and not be remarkable outside of our immediate circle ? Thats Some ego you got there dude.

You were space dust once upon a time , and you'll be space dust once again . Better get used to that and make the most of what you got going on now, in a positive way preferably.

Neither of you have a desire to leave a mark on the world?

Unless you make some significant contribution to the arts or technology etc,etc then the world isnt going to remember you and as the other poster noted those with a legacy will eventually be forgotten in time too it will just take longer than others.

And even if you're family remembers you so what? Youre family line is insignificant as well in the grand scheme of things and even they will eventually forget who you were in a few generations as well.

Back