Would you change your beliefs if you only had exposure to the other sides message?

ProBoxingInsidr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is for those who are very right or very left. Do you think you would change your beliefs over time if you ONLY had exposure to media from the other side of the aisle? For example, if you were a democrat and you could only watch Fox News or read newspapers or internet sites that were heavily right leaning?

Or if you were a Republican and you had to watch MSNBC or read their papers or the Young Turks, etc.

How long do you think it would take to switch? I know most will say never, but if you are only getting one side, I would think you would wear down.

I don't think it would take people very long. They'd be like "This is a bunch of crap!!" as it seeps into their subconcious.

it's dependent on the age of a person, i think, and most of the media is see is counter to what i believe anyway, so it's been. . . a lot of years watching what i believe to be [mostly] crap without much of a change (overall). we are all influenced by what we watch and read though. framing something in a certain way skews the story, and most of what we see is framed in a certain way [depending on the station].

i'm glad i grew up without TV. these cable shows invoke the most partisan feelings within a person. it's quite silly.

To be honest, my radical changes in ideology didn’t come from fox news, CNN, Huff Po, Young Fucktards, etc..

It came from personal experience and my occupation.

It’s amazing how the real world, and living it, and realizing that most of the liberal nonsense you learned in college was complete bullshit.

I’m not saying conservatism is the end all, be all to political ideology, but when it comes to the criminal justice system and social service programs, liberals have their heads, way up their asses.

". . . subject through three sequential stages: (1) the stripping process, in which the old preference and value structures are removed; (2) identification, in which the subject attempts to become as much like the other cult members as possible; and (3) symbolic death and rebirth, in which the subject internalizes the new structure of preferences and values." (zablocki, '98).

". . . situational steps are: (1) a sudden opportunity to abandon an old way of life and embrace an entirely new one; (2) development of intense emotional bonds between the individual and group members; (3) atrophy of relationships with nonmembers; and (4) intense communal involvement in a totalistic social structure." (ibid. '98).

only way to be sure
65102273.jpg

Hard to say. Do you mean there is no other access to any information and there's no internet? If you just mean not watching any other news network but still having normal interactions and experiences, I did used to only watch liberal reporting and did agree with them for probably close to a year, but TYT are the ones who talked me out of it by going so far over the top with dishonest reporting.

I guess what you're driving at is how persuasive the shows are, and they are definitely very persuasive, liberal ones for young people surrounded by other liberals without much work experience, and Foxnews for old people without many interactions at all. For people about 10-20 years into their careers, I don't think opinions are based as much on media coverage.

Last edited:
Hard to say. Do you mean there is no other access to any information and there's no internet? If you just mean not watching any other news network but still having normal interactions and experiences, I did used to only watch liberal reporting and did agree with them for probably close to a year, but TYT are the ones who talked me out of it by going so far over the top with dishonest reporting.
yea, normal interactions and you can use the internet. but you only get to read the huff post, for example, if you start as a conservative.

I think it's inevitable that given access to only half the information, everyone would gradually come to agree with it. They might debate nuances within that half but they would be unlikely to completely imagine the full extent of the counterpoints.

Of course, if they have exposure to factual data plus only the other side's message, the amount of belief would change based on their ability to properly interpret raw data. So mostly the same as above.

yea, normal interactions and you can use the internet. but you only get to read the huff post, for example, if you start as a conservative.
I added to my post. Young people and old people are more susceptible than people around 30-50. I think career status is more of a factor than reporting. If you're a white man, you'd have to eventually start smelling bullshit in all the "white men are evil" propaganda.

If I only read Huffpost, I would probably think gays were like half the population though, and my guesses

I guess what you're driving at is how persuasive the shows are, and they are definitely very persuasive, liberal ones for young people surrounded by other liberals without much work experience, and Foxnews for old people without many interactions at all. For people about 10-20 years into their careers, I don't think opinions are based as much on media coverage.

I actual enjoy tyt. Cenk gets very passionate about things he believes. I can't stand Ana and comedian dude though.

The general public for years believed trickle down economics would benefit them.

So it is quite possible to start to believe everything you're told by "authority figures"

All are the same in politics at this stage of history due to education. If you are a smart citizen you know they are all crooked in some way but different in approach.

Either you would start to agree, or totally rebel.

I did the later for awhile, and started opening up again once I actually started researching topics on my own.

Yes. And I aready have. I haven't switched sides or anything, but my views have certainly changed.

I became an anti-leftist after spending 5 years in university. The endless pushing of leftist bullshit from lefty professors and indoctrinated students made me realize that universities are dangerous leftist propaganda mills.

"In Truth, professors are the merest of mere mortals." -J.L. Granatstein from Who Killed Canadian History?

Who knows, maybe I'd be a born again Christian who believes the earth is 5000 years old but I'd like to think not.

I became an anti-leftist after spending 5 years in university. The endless pushing of leftist bullshit from lefty professors and indoctrinated students made me realize that universities are dangerous leftist propaganda mills.

"In Truth, professors are the merest of mere mortals." -J.L. Granatstein from Who Killed Canadian History?
Your literally everything that's wrong with politics today

That's why you gotta stick to the hard sciences. I didn't, but I wish I did.

Back