Would you buy Toyota's new $12k pickup truck?

At that price, why the fuck not? Only snooty asshats who focus on exterior gloss will bypass something like this. So pretty much most of North America.
A little lift and some beefier tires and that thing would look solid imo.

If it has Toyota reliability then it’s a great deal at that price
Youd probably be surprised to hear that toyota had defective frames that rusted and would break apart in wrecks. Causing people to get hurt severely. They were sued and finally made to recall thousands of trucks. I worked at the nissan plant and drove nissans for years. Finally got a tacoma cause I heard they were so reliable. They are not. Toyota probably never would have fixed the faulty frames if they were sued and made to.

Youd probably be surprised to hear that toyota had defective frames that rusted and would break apart in wrecks. Causing people to get hurt severely. They were sued and finally made to recall thousands of trucks. I worked at the nissan plant and drove nissans for years. Finally got a tacoma cause I heard they were so reliable. They are not. Toyota probably never would have fixed the faulty frames if they were sued and made to.

Well, I myself know enough people in the automotive industry to understand that every car manufacturer has at least 1 model that might have more defects or faulty somethings than others. Every conpany has gone through their lawsuits and issues. That being said, most everyone agrees Toyotas on average are the most reliable vehicles around and have been for quite some time.

I'd 100% buy one. This is an awesome move by Toyota. Flood the world market with reliable, reasonable, useable trucks.

It's 100% true. Or, at least in canada. There are two kinds of trucks, work trucks and then status symbols.

If you've got a 65,000 dollar truck with every available electric feature, and a tiny little useless bed that you'd never even load with anything because you're afraid of scratching the paint, that's not really a truck. It's a fashion accessory.

There are lots of these driving around Canada. So silly to have such a physically large and expensive to run vehicle mostly because you think it makes you look manly, or something. Or because you feel safer in it due to the fact everybody else on the road is driving a stupid, unnecessary truck. The safety issue in North America is a real thing. As trucks and suvs get bigger and their bumpers taller, you are much more likely to die if you get hit either as a pedestrian or in another vehicle.

This is an interesting video that goes into this traffic fatality concern , and also explains a bit about the import restrictions for japanese trucks and how this relates to the giant truck and suv culture in america.

LOL you nailed it. It's the exact same in the US. The most real work trucks here ever get used for is hauling some fat dudes ass around town

Well, I myself know enough people in the automotive industry to understand that every car manufacturer has at least 1 model that might have more defects or faulty somethings than others. Every conpany has gone through their lawsuits and issues. That being said, most everyone agrees Toyotas on average are the most reliable vehicles around and have been for quite some time.
The defective frames were on several years of Tacomas. It was a major recall that Toyoa was made to do after getting sued. The fought it for a long time and probably wouldnt have replaced the frames otherwise. Google tacoma defective frames it was real bad.
I never had any problems with my nissan trucks and got my last one at cost because I worked at the plant.
Toyota did replace my frame tho and its still runnning good.

The issue with Tacoma and Highlander is that they are unibody construction rather than built on a frame. In spite of these particular cases, when you buy a toyota you’re pretty much guaranteed that you’ll only have to pay for regular maintenance and not have to worry about things breaking.

The issue with Tacoma and Highlander is that they are unibody construction rather than built on a frame. In spite of these particular cases, when you buy a toyota you’re pretty much guaranteed that you’ll only have to pay for regular maintenance and not have to worry about things breaking.
Rusted frames breaking is things breaking. Some frames were so bad when they were put on a lift to work on trucks would break in half. Thats things breaking and this was on several year models. They had to replace other rusty things too tie rods or something. After they replaced my frame the truck started leaking oil. Ive never had a truck leak oil so that was it for me and toyota. They had a recall on the timing chain cover gasket and I thought that was what was leaking. The recall stopped before mine started leaking tho so no help there. Luckily it was the oil sending unit and was an easy fix. The timing chain cover gasket is major work tho.
So I put about 1000 miles on it and within that time it needed a new frame and started leaking oil. Thats not good or reliable.

I would. I got over caring what the vehicle that gets me to work looks like. I'd prefer something else for winter driving but I'd use it for my family's backup vehicle for sure.

Sure would be a great work car for a trades man.. can carry some shit, low gas cost, likely reliable being a Toyota. Why not

Hmm..Toyotas rep is well deserved. No company is perfect, but the 4runner, tacoma, hilux, landcruiser, lexus gx are certified workhorses. Even supra and their cars have great reps.

Well toyota has one such story for 3 such stories on average for other manufacturers. Still the most reliable vehicles out there.

Hmm..Toyotas rep is well deserved. No company is perfect, but the 4runner, tacoma, hilux, landcruiser, lexus gx are certified workhorses. Even supra and their cars have great reps.
My first car was a 2000 corolla. It wasn't perfect (shitty material used for bolts and brake lines), but it never let me down, had great gas mileage, and was cheap as hell to maintain. I finally sold it at 275,000 miles because I wanted a better vehicle for the winter. I got a 2011 F-150, which I have liked a lot, but it does have a couple annoying issues (basically needs 3000k mile oil changes to avoid fucking up the timing system, and the slip yoke is a totally shit design).

If I decide to not get another truck, my next vehicle will probably be a 4Runner or GX.

I always wondered why certain companies didn't come out with at least one of these spartan models. Surely there's a market for it.

That big ass grill is ugly though. They should have just remade the early-mid 90s look of the Tacomas

1708196490225.png

absolutely I would. That's exactly what I need actually, a small cheap truck that I can put around in when I don't want to drive my car or put shit from Home Depot in it.
I would even take something like this, or the mini truck version of this.

I would totally buy one of those if they brought it to the US.

screw all the safety features. Let the customer decide what level of risk they're willing to take.

How are they going to say I can't drive that truck because it's not safe enough when it's perfectly legal for me to buy a 50-year old car or a motorcycle ? Those are not safe either

Back