Would you buy a used couch?

Back when I was in college my roommates and I bought a huge corner couch for $50. Kinda nasty but we rented a carpet cleaner for it, and by the time we were finished it was damn near pristine. So to answer your question, yes.

I work in the furniture industry and can answer some questions here.

Yes, buying any kind of upholstered seating used is a bit like rolling the dice - you just never know what the former owners were doing on it. You put the odds in your favor by looking at something that's leather as it's potentially easier to clean and sterilize. Your best bet though is to make sure you're buying from someone who is wealthy and stable. It's not foolproof but it puts the odds in your favor that the furniture wasn't used as a prop for someone's deviant fetish.

If I was shopping for a sofa on CL I would always ask for the manufacturers name and then check online for prices on comparable models. If new sofas by that manufacturer retail for anything less than $3000 (that's actually not that much in the overall scope of things) then avoid it - end of story. If the original owner spent at least that much it's the best indication you can have that they didn't abuse it.

Same goes for pullouts and recliners although I'd adjust the number to $4000 and $1000 respectively. This really limits your choices on CL but also assures that you'll get a quality piece in addition to limiting the chance of any grossness.

As to the second question, any new sofa that you pay less than $1000 for is crap. $2000 get you into the almost-decent category. Don't take anything you read about "clearance" sales at face value. For that matter, the same goes for "going out of business" sales. There are companies whose entire business model is to lease spaces, open a store and close it as soon as legally possible just so they can conduct a big long GOB sale. They buy the cheapest furniture known to man - I mean absolute shit - mark the price way up and then tell you you're getting a big discount off of regular price. And of course the public eats this up because they think someone has lost their business and opportunity is to be had. Don't believe it!

Wow thanks for the info, very helpful. What do you reccomend to someone who is cheap and doesnt have 1000-2000 lying around to spend on this?

I refuse to finance a couch! haha.

if a female is selling you her used couch i would mosdef wipe it down with my TONGUE!

Didn't want to start a new thread, but next question:

What's the best deal you've got on a new couch from a not-going-out-of business place? I'm finding clearance new couches for like $200. Are these junk?

yeah theyre shit, uncomfortable and poorly made. the cushions will be shit and lose their shape,
best to spend 200-300 on a decent 2nd hand one

Wow thanks for the info, very helpful. What do you reccomend to someone who is cheap and doesnt have 1000-2000 lying around to spend on this?

I refuse to finance a couch! haha.

If I were you I'd take a chance with Craigslist then, but follow the steps I recommended. You see something you like - ask for the manufacturer (the name is usually on a label under the cushions) and check prices.

The reality is that if someone's selling furniture on that site, it's going to go for dirt cheap (the one exception being named designer pieces). A couch that originally cost $6000 may sell for the same as one that originally cost $600. This is because nobody knows jack shit about furniture manufacturers so they can't judge quality - price and one or two grainy photos are all most people have to decide on. I once bought a dining room set on CL for $350 dollars. I happen to know that a new set like the one I was buying would cost +$15,000. I once sold a sofa on CL for $200 that originally retailed for $3000 (I didn't pay that, of course).

The point is that value is to be had on CL but you have to know where and how to spot it - and in the case of upholstery, how to avoid purchasing a sponge filled someone's dried bodily fluids.

A cautionary point though about furniture manufacturers is that you've probably never heard of any of the ones who's product is worth owning. That's just the nature of the furniture industry. Rule of thumb - if a furniture manufacturer's name has made it into your consciousness and you haven't been researching furniture then they make a shit product. Examples: La-z-boy, Thomasville, Ashley, etc. I've seen La-z-boy mentioned in this thread and be warned that they do not make a good product and buying it second hand means you're running a serious risk of napping in someone else's jiz stains.

Last edited:
I used to buy a new couch or chair every year in college. One year, I found a pair of panties stuffed in the back of the couch. I felt like it was cindarella type story and I searched for the owner of the pretty silky panties. I never found her, so I soaked the panties in hot water and made soup.

Thanks again Gunny. I'm subscribed to craigslist searches for those brand names. Going to take my time and find something nice.

I just moved and don't have any legit way to transport the couch, any tips on that?

Only if you love bed bugs and other people's bodily fluids.

Probably the best and cheapest way to move it is to rent a pickup truck from Home Depot - I think it's like $20 for a couple of hours - and get a friend to help you move it in. Make sure you have standard door sizes but also - and this is very important - make sure you have a fairly straight shot from the door to where you want the sofa. A lot of people just measure the door and call it a day. They don't think about whether there are any tight corners or narrow hall ways the thing has to travel through. Every time I visit one of our dealers I see some piece of furniture on the floor that a customer ordered and couldn't get in their house. Because these pieces are often made-to-order, there's no sending it back to the manufacturer and the consumer ends up eating a 25% restocking fee in order for the dealer to keep it.

Also, that list of manufacturers I sent you was very short. There are dozen more worth you consideration. Let me know what city you live in and I'll check out what's up on CL at the moment. In Chicago there are tonnes of options to choose from and I can almost always find a good deal within five minutes or so. It'll take much longer though if you're unsure of what to look for.

Back