Would you buy a used couch?

zere0wn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Buying used furniture is a great way to save money. Especially off craigslist. But,
buying some things, like a couch, used, seems dirty. Couches are expensive. Would/have you? What about if pullout bed. What about recliner chairs?

Edit: Question 2:
What's the best deal you've got on a new couch from a not-going-out-of business place? I'm finding clearance new couches for like $200. Are these junk?

Last edited:
If I knew the owner personally, yes.

What if it was this couch?

backroom-casting-couch.jpg

I was given a disgusting couch. It smelled like cig smoke, had cat hair and many stains. My friend said it was never coming back, but it was a lazyboy brand and I knew it had potential. I used a carpet cleaner and went over it multiple times. It looked brand new when I was done and smelled like a woman.

buy......... get for free man, there are always people that want to get rid of stuff.

My couch came from a friend's German colleague, free couch for me.

I've gotten tons of things off of Craigslist and for the most part never had a problem.

Things I've gotten from Craigslist:
Motorcycle- Ride it daily. Love it.
Jobs- Never had a problem.
Fiance- Nothing, but problems. That's women for you. Ultimately I guess my daughter came from Craigslist too in a round about sort of way.

Im looking to put my couch on Craigslist soon. Its a microfiber sectional, its steam cleaned every month and no smokers or anything like that. Perfect condition, but just has been too big for the living room. Was an impulse buy

I did & discovered a pee stain on the cushion

I've got a friend in the high end furniture business. Some wealthy people buy new furniture every couple of years just to redecorate. Some of it is in rooms that are seldom used. Usually they charge these people to remove the old furniture then sell it at a different location. I've gotten some good deals by helping deliver the new and remove the old.

As has been posted, cleaning furniture isn't very difficult. A good way to make certain there are no critters in it is to cover it with plastic on a concrete surface outdoors and put a tank of carbon dioxide under the plastic and let it flow.

I have before, just clean it really well and you'll be ok.

buy......... get for free man, there are always people that want to get rid of stuff.

My couch came from a friend's German colleague, free couch for me.

This. The majority of my couches have come from beside the curb.

Wait.. two.. three... yup the majority.

Back