Would you be surprised if Holm takes a round from Rousey?

FMAxBoxing

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Im not saying Holly Holm is going to win, but I do think she has a good chance of taking a round from Ronda, maybe even win by decision.

Holm has an excellent corner and her footwork and stand up is arguably the best in the WBW division. Not to mention, she may have a slight size advantage in this one.

The only questionable thing is, can Holly Holm handle the pressure of a big fight like this considering her first performance in the UFC where she was clearly nervous?

Could Holly Holm be Ronda's toughest test?

Don't see holm evading rondas clinch and submissions for 25 minutes

This fight will look a lot like Rousey/Kaufman. Holm only has anything to offer as long as the fight remains at kickboxing range. Ronda will be inside that range in seconds, push Holm against the fence, attack with short knees, elbows and uppercuts, get a very quick throw or trip takedown and submit Holm.

I would be surprised if Holm makes it out of the first round. Her only hope of going deep into the fight is to fight very defensively and keep Rousey at bay with her striking. I can't understand why fighter after fighter elects to charge Rousey when it clearly doesn't work.

She could if she's able to keep it at range. I'm skeptical that will happen. Would make it interesting though.

I think she gets thrown all over the place, so yes. I'd be surprised if she survives a round, let alone wins one.

The more appropriate question is would I give a shit

Answer: no

Unless and until Ronda loses she's cemented herself as the p4p/g4g MMA GOAT

I'd be very surprised if she even makes it out of the first round.

I would be surprised if Holm makes it out of the first round. Her only hope of going deep into the fight is to fight very defensively and keep Rousey at bay with her striking. I can't understand why fighter after fighter elects to charge Rousey when it clearly doesn't work.

Because fighting defensively doesn't work either. Kaufman was a better striker than Ronda (at the time) and came out fighting defensively. Ronda cornered and trapped her in under 5 seconds. The only way to beat Ronda is to try to match her aggression and get her before she gets you. Alexis Davis and Cat Zingano both ended up looking foolish, but at least they went for it.

The only chance I see Holm getting out of round one is if she manages to hit roussey hard as she moves in at the start of the round. It might stun her enough to get hesitant. But even if that happens, there is no way Holm is going to keep this standing for 25 minutes, and on the ground it will be a short night.

This fight will look a lot like Rousey/Kaufman. Holm only has anything to offer as long as the fight remains at kickboxing range. Ronda will be inside that range in seconds, push Holm against the fence, attack with short knees, elbows and uppercuts, get a very quick throw or trip takedown and submit Holm.

This.

I don't think this will last more than one round, so yes, I would be VERY surprised!

I'll be surprised if Holm can last 2 minutes with her pillow punches.

The only chance I see Holm getting out of round one is if she manages to hit roussey hard as she moves in at the start of the round..

You're exactly right. Holm's big weapon is the high kick, but she'll never have the opportunity to throw it. She'd have to snipe Ronda with a hard, accurate punch in the first exchange. Of course Julia Budd did that and Ronda just walked right through it.

The 3 minute mark will be a moral victory at this point in time.

The one thing Holm has going for her, and its a biggie, is that she's shown that she's smart enough to not get dragged into dog fights and is more than content with picking her shots from the outside. That's the one thing we haven't seen anyone do against Ronda, and if she can get her frustrated enough to make a mistake, we got ourselves an upset.

Back