Would Woodley hang with the BJ Penn who choked out Hughes?

Yes I think Tyron Woodley would defeat 2004 BJ Penn. I think people exaggerate how much the game has evolved but still, the game has evolved.
Indeed, da game has evolved so much that Till is already in the 'post-[no-]guard' era...

Well it would be good I think. Wood would have the size strength advantage for sure. Skill wise and fighting spirit wise obviously BJ. Leaning towards BJ a little.

Mma is so massively improved from bj penns hay day
No it hasn't. Its a common misconception that mma grows leaps and bounds every year. There are small improvements but certain older fighters in their heyday would still beat most current fighters. Fighting spirit means a lot.

Way too big and powerful for Penn. love BJ though and Bj is a top ten fighter of all time

By "hang" do you mean fuck the bald little midget up in 2 rounds?

Then yes.

Would Woodley choke out BJ who hanged out with Hughes?

I could see them hanging... especially if BJ brought weed

But if shit went sour T Wood would beat the shit outta BJ.

The sport has evolved so much that I wonder how even GSP circa 2009 would do against Woodley. Not that Woodley is the better fighter, it's just unfair to compare different eras.

To the answer the question. If Woodley took a time machine to 2004 and fought Penn he would annilate Penn.

Perhaps if he was seriously training with the Marinovitch system. Yes.

Depends on what version of Woodley shows up. He hasn't exactly been Mr. Consistency himself so if he showed up quivering against the cage like he did against Rory, I think he'd lose

The sport has evolved so much that I wonder how even GSP circa 2009 would do against Woodley. Not that Woodley is the better fighter, it's just unfair to compare different eras.

To the answer the question. If Woodley took a time machine to 2004 and fought Penn he would annilate Penn.
GSP would jab the shit out of Woodley for 5 rounds easily. Woodley struggles when facing a wrestler (notice how his recent wins aren't over them?) and wouldn't come close to taking GSP down. He has a puncher's chance but Prime Georges was arguably the best ever at not taking damage. I haven't seen anything from Woodley to suggest he is anywhere near that level and he has had multiple shoddy performances to suggest that he'd crumble when the fight isn't going his way. GSP via UD easily

BJ fought Machida. How would Tyron do vs Machida then compare it to that.

Different styles and Machida was green and had the utmost respect for Penn back then. MMA was still mysterious and Lyoto was ultra-cautious since he was still developing.

Last edited:
Read it like hang as in hang out.
Matt-Hughes-And-BJ-Penn-On-Bike.jpg

BJ Penn may be the most overrated fighter of all time. Yes hes a goat but he was never an elite ww and both Khabib and Conor run through him. He wouldn't beat anyone in the top 10 at ww

BJ Penn may be the most overrated fighter of all time. Yes hes a goat but he was never an elite ww and both Khabib and Conor run through him. He wouldn't beat anyone in the top 10 at ww
"but he was never an ww"

Fixed.

Depends on what version of Woodley shows up. He hasn't exactly been Mr. Consistency himself so if he showed up quivering against the cage like he did against Rory, I think he'd lose
The Rory fight was 4 years ago. Why not bring up the 2 Wonderboy fights where he stuck his back to the cage instead? But I don't think BJ is a volume puncher to take advantage of that.

Back