Would pre-Kronk Fury have done better?

johndhi

If you love a flower, don’t pick it up.
@purple
Reaction score
Fury's aggressive, bullying approach that he developed for Wilder didn't work on Ngannou because Ngannou is too strong to be pushed or leaned on.

Would the old Fury - who popped jabs from the outside and was happy with a decision - have looked better against Ngannou?

He may have won a boring decision. But he also may not have survived against Wilder with that style.

I think the old Fury who respected his opponent enough to show up in shape would have won quite comfortably, instead of just edging things out. I don’t know if that Fury exists anymore.

Probably so because he used his legs more and boxed behind the jab. Under Steward he's become more of a mauler. Either way he was never going to box & move against Ngannou for 10 rounds coming in so heavy (277 lbs). You have to be well conditioned to do that and in much better shape than he was.

He won some rounds using that style after he got dropped, from somewhere round 5 to round 10. But he looked like shit in the process too and with super low activity made every one of those rounds close...

...And not only because he didn't train for Ngannou as some people want to justify.

But because Fury always had a problem with volume. He was always a low output guy. And Ngannou managed to hit him with power punches more often than he was supposed to for two reasons. First Ngannou is a fast talented puncher with a huge reach. And second, Fury's defense has always been extremely over rated. Casuals saw tik tok videos of him dodging four punches from a german taxi driver and thought he was an updated version of Ali lol. Neven Pajkic of all people flatlined him and Steve Cunningham who had never KO'd anybody floored him as well. He is a very good boxer but never was what many people thought he was.

He won some rounds using that style after he got dropped, from somewhere round 5 to round 10. But he looked like shit in the process too and with super low activity made every one of those rounds close...

...And not only because he didn't train for Ngannou as some people want to justify.

But because Fury always had a problem with volume. He was always a low output guy. And Ngannou managed to hit him with power punches more often than he was supposed to for two reasons. First Ngannou is a fast talented puncher with a huge reach. And second, Fury's defense has always been extremely over rated. Casuals saw tik tok videos of him dodging four punches from a german taxi driver and thought he was an updated version of Ali lol. Neven Pajkic of all people flatlined him and Steve Cunningham who had never KO'd anybody floored him as well. He is a very good boxer but never was what many people thought he was.
Yeah when Fury was boxing behind the jab and using lateral movement he was outboxing Francis handily. Especially in rounds 5 & 6. He just didn't seem to have a clear gameplan to me. Or he did at first until Francis put him on his ass early in the fight. Then it was out the window once he felt his power.

no i don't and I really wish everyone that calls me nostalgic when I say how bad todays guys are would just stop it. Might seem silly but I love the sport and it really disgusts me what's happening today. And no one seems to know just how bad it is, just gullible fans.

Last edited:
Kronk wasn't the problem, Fury was out of shape and was winging it. He expected Francis to throw a couple haymakers and gas out.

Fury has consistently shown disregard for all of his opponents that weren't in the top 3. He seems to think that he can half ass everything, and rely on his natural talent.

That's a story that we have seen over and over again. Fighters that rely too heavily on natural talent always end up paying for it.

People make a lot out of the mauling tactics because Wilder talked about it after the fight.

David Haye called the first round of the second Wilder fight the best round of Fury’s career.

There wasn’t one clinch in that round. I suspect he said that because Fury’s footwork looked sharp as fuck in the early stages of that fight.

I’m comparison he looked stuck in the mud against Ngannou. It looked like he had substituted 20 pounds of muscle for 20 pounds of fat and was in general in too poor condition to move his feet much.

In comparison he looked stuck in the mud against Ngannou. It looked like he had substituted 20 pounds of muscle for 20 pounds of fat and was in general in too poor condition to move his feet much.
That was my impression, too. Not to take anything away from Ngannou’s performance - he far exceeded my expectations of him - but Fury was in terrible condition, and when you’re that out of shape you just can’t make your body do the things it should be able to do. I’m not sure he’ll be able to get where he needs to be by the time he fights Usyk, either. Getting those legs back is going to be a months’ long process.

His shape is an excuse he doesnt even use himself at the moment. Why use it for him? The man was in optimum shape yet won a razor close decision (rightfully in my opion). But this fight feels like a loss to him and his fans.

Pre- kronk fury would have won an extra round or two at max. For a majority decision.

Francis and his team however paved the blueprint to beat the kronks setting up and sitting down on the right hand. Blast quick counters with the take one to give one Froch style.

That one- two landing isnt going to cut it

His shape is an excuse he doesnt even use himself at the moment. Why use it for him? The man was in optimum shape yet won a razor close decision (rightfully in my opion). But this fight feels like a loss to him and his fans.

Pre- kronk fury would have won an extra round or two at max. For a majority decision.

Francis and his team however paved the blueprint to beat the kronks setting up and sitting down on the right hand. Blast quick counters with the take one to give one Froch style.

That one- two landing isnt going to cut it
I don’t believe he was in optimum condition. 277 was a career high for him as far as I know and an indication of how seriously he took his training. He was about 30 lbs lighter when he beat Vlad and that would have been optimum condition. I wouldn’t expect him to admit to taking his opposition lightly and under training, either. The guy has future fights to sell, and to admit you don’t train much these days won’t shift many units.

I don’t believe he was in optimum condition. 277 was a career high for him as far as I know and an indication of how seriously he took his training. He was about 30 lbs lighter when he beat Vlad and that would have been optimum condition. I wouldn’t expect him to admit to taking his opposition lightly and under training, either. The guy has future fights to sell, and to admit you don’t train much these days won’t shift many units.
Wilder 3 he weighed 277lbs as well. Wilder 1, 255lbs. Wilder 2 something in the Middle.

He was fit allright. Just got figured out and now he needs to adapt. Yet, the usyk fight is a totally different one.

Fury was never untouchable. He's had close calls many times in his career. Here he is getting wrecked by a feather fisted cruiser weight.
XAKc0i.gif

Here's Otto Wallin busting his face open-
Otto-Wallin-continued-to-target-the-deep-cut-2058297.jpg

upload_2023-11-4_22-12-24.jpeg
Against Pajkic-
upload_2023-11-4_22-16-41.jpeg
Not to mention getting dropped 4 times by Wilder.
The myth of Fury the untouchable boxer is just that- a myth.

Boxing fans are reaching now. Your guy got beat bad and HW boxing is a joke and was exposed. There's no amount of revisionist history that will change that

Kronk wasn't the problem, Fury was out of shape and was winging it. He expected Francis to throw a couple haymakers and gas out.

Fury has consistently shown disregard for all of his opponents that weren't in the top 3. He seems to think that he can half ass everything, and rely on his natural taleisnt.

That's a story that we have seen over and over again. Fighters that rely too heavily on natural talent always end up paying for it.
I agree with this. While Ngannou did much better than expected, it was obvious that Fury massively underestimated him. He looked like crap and I doubt if he trained much at all. Too busy focusing on Usyk. If Fury rematches him and takes him seriously I think he has a much easier night.

Boxing fans are reaching now. Your guy got beat bad and HW boxing is a joke and was exposed. There's no amount of revisionist history that will change that
I'm as much of an MMA fan as I am a boxing fan but what I saw is a fighter who didn't take his opponent seriously. We've seen lackluster performances from Fury before against average opponents and then he focuses and beats Wlad and Wilder. If Fury takes Ngannou as seriously as Ngannou takes Fury I think he wins a rematch easily. If not, good for Frank.

Back