Would Max overtake Volk legacy wise with a W over Justin?

You sure can. It almost never happens, because that usually means he's racking up title defenses and you're not, but simply beating someone (no matter how many times) doesn't automatically make your legacy better than his.

Someone mentioned Adesanya, and I think that's a great counter-example. He's lost to Pereira three times, but no one would argue Pereira has a better legacy than Adesanya does.
They both have similar opponents except Volk beat Max and Mendes. 3 wins over max and most of the same wins as max.

They both have similar opponents except Volk beat Max and Mendes. 3 wins over max and most of the same wins as max.

Arnold
Kattar
Frankie
Lamas
Stephens
Pettis
Charles
Cub

It isn't just Mendes and Max himself lol.... Max has a far deeper resume than Volk. Volk resume relies heavily on the H2H wins against Max.

Arnold
Kattar
Frankie
Lamas
Stephens
Pettis
Charles
Cub

It isn't just Mendes and Max himself lol.... Max has a far deeper resume than Volk. Volk resume relies heavily on the H2H wins against Max.
Ortega
Aldo
KZ
Yair
Max x3
Mendes

Beating max 3 times are better quality wins than any of Maxs wins. Plus we already know Volk would’ve won those same fights if he had to face them. Either way Volk is clearly the better fighter.

Beating Max, Aldo and Mendes should automatically give you the best legacy at featherweight

No, but it takes off some of the stink from losing to Volk. Almost like DC beating stipe after losing to Jones.

If I lose to someone at anything three times in a row I don't know how I turn around and say I'm better than them.

If Max beat Topuria multiple times or Islam x 2 then maybe there's an argument for a 3 way tie or something, but beating Gathje doesn't make up for that.

Volk is the better fighter of the two. Proven 3x while both were in their absolute primes.

I'm the first one to say just having a H2H win doesn't put you above someone. But 3?!?! Some of ya'll are crazy. No, there is no way to spin Max as having done so much more at FW that he should be above Volk after THREE losses.

Beating a guy who has never held a real UFC belt isn't going to put Max above the guy who beat him 3 times in a row, and outclassed him completely the final time.

Volk is Max's dad, now and forever.

Max already has a better resume and it isn't close... head to head Max should at minimum be 1 and 2 or even 2 and 1.. if Max beat Justin he'd be all time better if he beat Topuria after it wouldn't be debatable

I was on to something.

God dammit, get through the BS and hear me out sometimes y'all...

Nevermind this nonsense, the big concern is whether Max gets hurt bad against Gaethje.

Some people hit really hard.
If Gaethje lands clean on Max, especially more than once, it won't be good for Max's longterm health.

I guess anything is possible, but I predict destruction.
Yeah Justin gaethje got knocked silly and possibly retired.

Destruction indeed.

Max won the first fight imo and there's a good argument he should have won the second. Those were close decisions.

He got destroyed in the 3rd fight tho. There can't be a 4th imo, even tho he might beat Volk now, who appears shot.

You can’t have a better legacy than the guy who you lost to 3 times
Silva lost to Weidman twice, ik it wasn't 3x but at least the 2nd fight with Volk was a close one. Silva lost twice to Weidman in brutal fashion, does Weidman have a better legacy?

Max won the first fight imo and there's a good argument he should have won the second. Those were close decisions.

He got destroyed in the 3rd fight tho. There can't be a 4th imo, even tho he might beat Volk now, who appears shot.
All 3 judges gave the first fight to Volk, all media scorecards were in favor of Volk, fan scoring was 84% for Volk... Never seen anybody claiming Max won the first fight before.

Sorry, but he can't unless he beats Volk once. You can't be 0-3 and claim to be better than the guy. Similar to claiming Aldo has a better legacy than Holloway. Nope.

Back