Would Max overtake Volk legacy wise with a W over Justin?

You can’t have a better legacy than the guy who you lost to 3 times

I think its all complicated.

Arnold Allen is a better win than anything contemporary Volk has in the division.

Volk had a stinker decision over Aldo where he was risk averse and point fought. Max had spectacular TKO wins over Aldo when he was still at the top of his game.

They both beat Zombie, Yair and Ortega. They both got 2 out of 3 stoppages in that circuit. They both beat former top fighters outside their prime in Edgar/Mendes and won.

The first fight between Max and Volk was a razor thin 3-2 decision. The second fight was a split decision and I thought Max was the clear winner and got robbed. Both of those fights featured a lot of point fighting from Volk. The third fight was solid UD from Volk.

In any event these are the two great fighters of this generation and they both have stellar resumes. Volk has now gone up to lightweight twice and dropped a decision then got murder KO'd.

Certainly wouldn't hurt Max's overall legacy to move up a second time (after a 3-2 decision loss to Poirier) and beat a top 3 lightweight.

max's resume IS better than volk's
but he'll be forever the dude that lost do volk three times

Volk has a decisive victory and competitive fight vs Islam. Max close with his accomplishments. If Max drops and clearly defeats Justin then gets foggy. I do not think Max will triumph over Justin. It is too soon to decide on Volk vs Max. They might even fight again. For now due to head to head Volk has most recent win. But tide could turn they r close.

Volk wouldn't even dream of taking a beating from Gaethje; so yes, Halloway is superior. He even took a Prime McGregor to decision!!

P.S: Max also finished Oliveira, Pettis & Aldo x2!!

Volk ducked Frankie Edgar, Arnold Allen and is a decision queen.

I mean I would have loved to see Frankie vs Volk if it was like 8 years ago lol

If he beats Justin, goes and wins the 145lb title and then moves up and beats Islam you can say he had the better legacy overall and Volk just had his number. Otherwise no.

I'm oversimplifying big time, but they both have accomplished great things but they have totally different resumes. Both guys have some awesome opponents that the other doesn't have. Islam, Topuria, Mendez on one hand. Edgar, Poirier, McGregor on the other. Grapple-focused fighting best grapplers, striker-focused fighting best strikers. Totally different bodies of work and interesting that they found themselves fighting each other to decisions 3 times. I'm more partial to the list of names that Max has. I'll always be impressed by what Volk did with his stature.

Volk has the better resume than max. The three head to head victories are big, but not the end all be all. I still have Aldo as the FW goat and he lost to max twice and Volk once. Volk had dominant wins over Yair and Ortega while champ and a good win over mendes before winning the championship. Two defenses were against max but max was pretty clearly the best contender at 145 so that counts as much or more than having two other names added to his resume. If max beats Justin convincingly it closes the gap a little but max would have to do something else spectacular to pass Volk, like beating Islam lol it’s a bit of a long shot

Nevermind this nonsense, the big concern is whether Max gets hurt bad against Gaethje.

Some people hit really hard.
If Gaethje lands clean on Max, especially more than once, it won't be good for Max's longterm health.

I guess anything is possible, but I predict destruction.

Volk resume is kinda ass other than max
He has wins over every previous FW champ except Conor who was the only one to ever not try and defend his belt prior to being beaten himself.

5 defences, a close loss to the champ above and beat multiple ranked guys on his way there.

Max has less defences, 3 head to head losses and Volk beat everyone he also beat.

Beating Gaethje whilst impressive, is just a top 5 LW win against someone who has failed to win the belt 2x.
Volk is head and shoulders above him.

Volk has the better resume than max. The three head to head victories are big, but not the end all be all. I still have Aldo as the FW goat and he lost to max twice and Volk once. Volk had dominant wins over Yair and Ortega while champ and a good win over mendes before winning the championship. Two defenses were against max but max was pretty clearly the best contender at 145 so that counts as much or more than having two other names added to his resume. If max beats Justin convincingly it closes the gap a little but max would have to do something else spectacular to pass Volk, like beating Islam lol it’s a bit of a long shot
If Holloway beats Gaethje then Islam, he would definitely have a better resume than Volk for sure

This is like those "If Charles beats Islam,it destroys Khabib's legacy" nuthugger wet dream threads.

Those motherfuckers scattered like roaches after that fight ahahaha

Maybe if he beats Justin and then comes back to dethrone Topuria.

Regardless how close the decisions were, he lost 3of3 (!) attempts at Volk … so history will show Volk as being clearly superior and unbeatable for Max, regardless where Max career trajectory goes next.

Reactions: HHJ
You can’t have a better legacy than the guy who you lost to 3 times

You sure can. It almost never happens, because that usually means he's racking up title defenses and you're not, but simply beating someone (no matter how many times) doesn't automatically make your legacy better than his.

Someone mentioned Adesanya, and I think that's a great counter-example. He's lost to Pereira three times, but no one would argue Pereira has a better legacy than Adesanya does.

As long as everyone can agree that Aldo is the FW GOAT

Back