Would Khabib Nurmagomedov be considered the 1st Asian Champion in UFC history?

Turkey is generally considered part of Europe because:
1. Its capitol is in Europe.
2. It dominated the Balkans for centuries.

However, the bulk of its territory lies in Asia Minor, the part of the world from which present day Asia takes its name.

Generally my ass. It's considered both. There is nothing even close to resembling a consensus on that.

Turkey Listeni/ˈtɜrki/ (Turkish: T

LOL How is that being ignorant and racist? He's a white dude. Oh wait, that's racist too, huh? :icon_neut

No, he's definitely fair skinned. But that has nothing to do with being Asian or not.

It's both ignorant and racist to claim he's a "white guy and therefore not an Asian guy".

Yeah, I wouldn't consider him to very Asian. I always thought him and Ali had that sort've ethnic russian look. He is Muslin though.

Turkey is generally considered part of Europe because:
1. Its capitol is in Europe.
2. It dominated the Balkans for centuries.

However, the bulk of its territory lies in Asia Minor, the part of the world from which present day Asia takes its name.

Not disagreeing. It's capital is in Europe and it's landmass was largely dominated by European cultures for a long time. It's another borderland country tho, for sure.

No, he's definitely fair skinned. But that has nothing to do with being Asian or not.

It's both ignorant and racist to claim he's a "white guy and therefore not an Asian guy".

Please explain how that is remotely racist.

further clouding the picture is there's often confusion between birth country, current citizenship, race and ethnicity.

Not disagreeing. It's capital is in Europe and it's landmass was largely dominated by European cultures for a long time. It's another borderland country tho, for sure.

Yep, the border between Europe and Asia is ill-defied at best. The Urals is a handy dividing line, but it does not help at all with the southeastern borders of Europe. It is also worth pointing out that Dagestan is much more akin other central Asian countries than it is to eastern European countries.

If he were to win the belt?

Dagestan isn't in Europe, right?

Here is the /THREAD:

I was born in Iran very close to Dagestan. The ethnicity/race of people is very similar.

When I was in elementary school and took standardized tests, I would click the "asian" box because Iran is in Asia... made sense to me.

Turns out, I'm not Asian. Modernly people say I'm Persian. In reality, I'm indo-aryan/ indo-iranian--the first white people to walk down from the caucus mountains.

That's why a lot of people from that region are named Arya.

There's your strange history lesson for the day.

Please explain how that is remotely racist.

It may just be ignorant, I conceed. It's probably racist, as people who make distinctions between "white people" and "other people" are probably inserting a hierarchy.

When people say there's never been an Asian champ, they don't mean a Russian/Middle Eastern one. When people say Khabib is Russian (Dagestani, whatever) they don't consider him Asian. It's semantics, but it corresponds to the way people's brains are racially.

It may just be ignorant, I conceed. It's probably racist, as people who make distinctions between "white people" and "other people" are probably inserting a hierarchy.

I'm just going by what I see. If you give Khabib a cowboy hat and an asian dude a cowboy hat, one is going to look the part.

The majority of Russia (land) is located in Asia

while most Russians are located in Europe, and russia stretches from west to east, and not from the east to west

Right, you are one of those some people apparently. The fact is, the Europe/Asia distinction is originally an ethnic one, and dates back to when maps looked like this.

600px-T_and_O_map_Guntherus_Ziner_1472.jpg

There is no point debating it at all.

irrelevant, but the debate is pointless, i agree

Look at a map and locate the Ural Mountains.

Also: Sakaraba.

Dagestan is a part of Russia, and even if it were an independent nation, it'd be in the Caucasus which is typically considered Europe (west of the Urals).

I dunno. Europe is a political and cultural entity as well. Why is it preferable to look at geography and not look at which countries use the Euro, are members of the EU, or have members in the EU Parliament? I'm not even sure Russia is part of Europe and current tensions demonstrate.

Russia is trying to make its own customs union with Kazakstan and is more closely tied with China on matters of UN security council.

It seems odd to ignore that and pretend there is a consensus/

Is Alexander Shlemenko the first Asian Bellator Champ cause he's from Siberia (Asia)?

LW has Pettis who I heard a mix of things and I'm not sure what all those are, but half of it being Korean.

Penn's half-korean, so is Ben Henderson. Pettis is Puerto Rican/Mexican.

Back