Would it be a bad idea to try and learn striking at home?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I’ve got mats, gloves and a speed bag and plenty of Jiujitsu friends that I know want to learn some striking.

So do you guys think I could learn some effective striking at home with other inexperienced people. My background is Jiujitsu, couple years of Kenpo and a few MMA classes over the years.

My main concern is you don’t want people that don’t know what they are doing punching each other in the head and people getting hurt

I’ve got mats, gloves and a speed bag and plenty of Jiujitsu friends that I know want to learn some striking.

So do you guys think I could learn some effective striking at home with other inexperienced people. My background is Jiujitsu, couple years of Kenpo and a few MMA classes over the years.

My main concern is you don’t want people that don’t know what they are doing punching each other in the head and people getting hurt

I mean you could hit the bag watch some boxing and muay thau fights and copy them to an extent (that is if your a visual learner) or you could contact some of your mma friends that you trained with an ask them if they want to meet up and train. If you did Kempo and had some mma classes you could learn to beat the average guy on the streets.

Only if your practicing on your wife..

Definitely. Even just shadowboxing can be effective. Try to get videos of yourself training so you can see for yourself what mistakes you're making and what you need to work on. If you're all beginners you need to teach one another not to have an ego and not to get angry when sparring. Start slow and just go over the motions

Definitely. Even just shadowboxing can be effective. Try to get videos of yourself training so you can see for yourself what mistakes you're making and what you need to work on. If you're all beginners you need to teach one another not to have an ego and not to get angry when sparring. Start slow and just go over the motions
i mean first he needs the knowledge to know what is a mistake vs what isn’t.

Personally I think someone will end up getting hurt before long, and if not probably won’t get too good. There’s a reason martial arts and instructors and coaches exist

i mean first he needs the knowledge to know what is a mistake vs what isn’t.

Personally I think someone will end up getting hurt before long, and if not probably won’t get too good. There’s a reason martial arts and instructors and coaches exist

Ameen to that

If you try to learn striking on your own youll end up getting some fundamental things wrong, and then youll practice your mistakes without a coach being able to correct you along the way, and your mistakes will become muscle memory and thus harder to correct once you do get a coach's supervision.

Bad idea. You don't need it later though. Then you can drill at home.

You can learn at home. But like others said, you're going to be limited by the lack of proper instruction as to what is and isn't a mistake. You'll get better but not as fast and not as good as with instruction. But unless you're trying to compete, you can probably learn enough to not get punched in the face by a random.

Can be done, I'm self taught mma fighter and even trained a fairly successful team at one stage. But be warned, you will do a lot of learning the hard way (my brother started fighting pro mma before he knew shit and took some pretty solid hammerings because of it). Also like someone else said if you get bad habits that become motor functions, they can become hard to correct.

Cant start a thread but wanted to ask what is the best way to train when having to fight a more explosive fighter who is faster with longer reach in boxing and in muay thai?

Cant start a thread but wanted to ask what is the best way to train when having to fight a more explosive fighter who is faster with longer reach in boxing and in muay thai?
Stay light on your feet, you need to stick and move, take angles, etc. You stay still and bang it out, you're playing into his game. You're basically going to be on a treadmill the entire fight. Work on your conditioning alot.

You are not going to become a striking champion for sure. You are going to progress slowly. It is possible to learn some bad habits, but... Yes- you can learn to strike, just a little, but still enough to use it.

Learning martial arts / combat sports at home is like self-learning a language with some audio tapes. Sure it's better than nothing, but you're never going to be good at it.

If you’re going to do this at least look up how to wrap your hands and make a fist. Know that you should aim for the chin mostly when you’re aiming for the head. It’s pretty easy to hurt your hands.

not a bad idea. 70% of gym goers go on youtube to learn techniques anyway, or some random online forum. get some proper gloves, and you should have at least 1 person mediate the intensity, most noobs just go 0 to 100 and they dont even know it. then when you want to graduate, go to a real gym to test your skills. or just do the 1 free week trial to practice sparring at all the local gyms . trust me

you mean how to train to fight a better fighter? or what

Best strategy when fighting someone same weight but more explosive and taller

The short answer is no.

You will more likely than not develop bad habits that will be difficult to break later when you actually join a striking gym.

Back