Would GSP have still fought for the MW title if Hendo beat Bisping and retired?

Oh good, a speculative thread where all the chubby couch riding GSP haters can call a legendary professional fighter a chicken and claim to know his motivations.

GSP hasn't dodged anyone, or ''escaped'' from MW. You kids need a bit more perspective on life.

Fighting is a buisness, not some way to fullfill your fantasies. If you're GSP, set for life money-wise, of course you're gonna ''Cherry-pick''. Bisping was beatable, titled holder AND sold PPVs.

GSP has already done all the climbing up the ladder, he can now dictate who he fights and when. There's a massive difference between the GOAT cherry-picking money fights at the end of his career vs some nobody dodging contenders.

Why would anyone in their right mind pick a riskier fight for less money when they're already worth 30+ millions?

I don't think so. GSP doesn't like to fight against guys with KO power, like Silva, Woodley, Whittaker etc

GSP hasn't dodged anyone, or ''escaped'' from MW. You kids need a bit more perspective on life.

Fighting is a buisness, not some way to fullfill your fantasies. If you're GSP, set for life money-wise, of course you're gonna ''Cherry-pick''. Bisping was beatable, titled holder AND sold PPVs.

GSP has already done all the climbing up the ladder, he can now dictate who he fights and when. There's a massive difference between the GOAT cherry-picking money fights at the end of his career vs some nobody dodging contenders.

Why would anyone in their right mind pick a riskier fight for less money when they're already worth 30+ millions?

So you have no problem with what Conor is doing then?

Also, if fighting is indeed a business, then it's 100% fair to say GSP dodged and ducked fights (investments) that he didn't think he had a high probability of cashing in on.

Huge GSP fan, but honestly don't think he would have challenged Romero, and it's not like he's calling out Whitaker now that his colitis is better. GSP is back for money fights because Conor made him realize how much he underplayed his hand as a one of the very few mma superstars.

Lol. Of course not. It was opportunistic of GSP. Cherry picked.
Super Fights by there very nature of being non required fights are all cherry picked for whatever reasons the guys want to take them (glory, money, stylistic matchup, etc).

Super Fights by there very nature of being non required fights are all cherry picked for whatever reasons the guys want to take them (glory, money, stylistic matchup, etc).

Yep. But DC going to HW to fight the most successful UFC HW champion in history is a lot different to GSP going up to take on a guy who wasn't even in the top 5 at MW despite having the belt.

During the prime of their reigns GSP vs. Silva would have been an organic super fight that everyone wanted. Both more than fulfilled their championship obligations and it was by far the most intriguing matchup. If it happened it wouldn't be considered cherry picking in anyway, it would have been a natural crossing of paths between two dominant champions. But of course, GSP cherry picked against it with a bus load of excuses.

At the time, Romero vs Jacare 2 would have been the MW title fight to make.

Whittaker had yet to beat Jacare. GSP doesn’t fight anyone else for the title other than Bisping,

There are no Circumstances under which jacare ever should have fought for a belt.

And I think gsp would have fought anyone.

The guy is the goat. He defended his ww belt a record number of times and has avenged every loss he’s had. He faced a murderers row of competition.

This “gsp was scared” nonsense is ridiculous.

French media here in Quebec, he did numerous interviews about returning at MW, starting a year after he left.

Danahar is on record several times talking about how the entire plan for return was at MW, and fighting a more aggressive style.

GSP had multiple meetings with Dana and the Fertitas for more than a year before Bisping was champion. The Reebok deal was in the way.

People who hate GSP are going to stick to their narrative no matter what, but anyone paying attention saw that GSP has been making these moves for years. Dana's comments were always "GSP doesn't really want to fight", which is what he always says in the middle of negotiations.

GSP winning a belt in a second division must be a really tough pill for you guys to swallow. Even if you were right it wouldn't matter, GSP still finished a tough MW and won the belt, the same MW Anderson campaigned hard to fight while in his prime, a MW who actually beat Anderson.

So you have no problem with what Conor is doing then?

Also, if fighting is indeed a business, then it's 100% fair to say GSP dodged and ducked fights (investments) that he didn't think he had a high probability of cashing in on.

Are you saying you DO have a problem with Conor did?

Damn a prime Hendo and GSP moving up would be a big ass fight.

Are you saying you DO have a problem with Conor did?

Absolutely. I wanted him to go hard against Khabib's core belief system, maybe burn a couple of Qurans and talk about sex with goats, instead all I got was a bunch of lame ass Instagram posts about Chechens and loyalty. So yes, I got a very big problem with Conor.

Absolutely. I wanted him to go hard against Khabib's core belief system, maybe burn a couple of Qurans and talk about sex with goats, instead all I got was a bunch of lame ass Instagram posts about Chechens and loyalty. So yes, I got a very big problem with Conor.

I'm not really a popcorn guy.

I just hope the fight really happens, and that it's great.

French media here in Quebec, he did numerous interviews about returning at MW, starting a year after he left.

Danahar is on record several times talking about how the entire plan for return was at MW, and fighting a more aggressive style.

GSP is an international star, why didn't any of this come out through English media outlets when Rockhold was champion, but got immediately picked up by everyone in June 2016, after Bisping became champion?

If anything this just proves that although GSP had intended to fight at MW, he wasn't going to take on just any champion, and kept a low profile while he waited for the right opportunity to strike. When the right opportunity arrived in the form of Left hook Larry, he started actively campaigning for the fight, and that's why news outlets around the world picked it up. Minimum risk for maximum reward, that's his MO.

Yep. But DC going to HW to fight the most successful UFC HW champion in history is a lot different to GSP going up to take on a guy who wasn't even in the top 5 at MW despite having the belt.
All super fights are different.

Stipe was seen to be ruling over a very weak era of HW's much like when Randy Couture jumped at the chance to fight Tim Sylvia who was then the most dominant UFC HW champ.

GSP's pick was more like Anderson Silva picking Forrest Griffin but at least GSP picked a Champ of the division above who was a more relevant fighter and on his best win streak of his career. Anderson basically fought Forrest when he was a crushed fighter on his slide to irrelevance and yet Anderson got massive praise for it. GSP deserves more praise for his win over Bisping.

All super fights are different.

Stipe was seen to be ruling over a very weak era of HW's much like when Randy Couture jumped at the chance to fight Tim Sylvia who was then the most dominant UFC HW champ.

GSP's pick was more like Anderson Silva picking Forrest Griffin but at least GSP picked a Champ of the division above who was a more relevant fighter and on his best win streak of his career. Anderson basically fought Forrest when he was a crushed fighter on his slide to irrelevance and yet Anderson got massive praise for it. GSP deserves more praise for his win over Bisping.

I think Bisping and Forrest are pretty equal for GSP and Anderson. Forrest had only just lost his belt. And what Anderson did to him was one of the most amazing displays in MMA history. Bisping was on a great run but he was worn. Hendo at 46 nearly killed him twice just before. Both deserve similar praise. DC beating Stipe is way better than both.

Back