Would GSP have still fought for the MW title if Hendo beat Bisping and retired?

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Romero had just KO’d Weidman the next event after UFC 204.

Who would have squared off vs Romero? Rockhold was still coming off a KO Loss..Mousasi vs Romero maybe?

I actually think GSP probably would have. This was before his mild colitis flare up, and at the time he seemed very serious about challenging himself for the MW title. So I don’t see any reason why he would avoid Yoel during this timeline.

What do you think? Would it have been yoel vs GSP or someone else?

Last edited:
At the time, Romero vs Jacare 2 would have been the MW title fight to make.

Whittaker had yet to beat Jacare. GSP doesn’t fight anyone else for the title other than Bisping,

If my aunt had balls, my uncle would have fought for the belt.

At the time, Romero vs Jacare 2 would have been the MW title fight to make.

Whittaker had yet to beat Jacare. GSP doesn’t fight anyone else for the title other than Bisping,
Yeah I got my timeline messed up. After ufc 204 the logical choice for a vacant belt would have been the winner of Romero/Weidman(Romero) vs someone.

I think the UFC could have tried throwing money at Hendo once he retired with the belt.

Romero vs Hendo.

Romero had just KO’d Weidman the next event after UFC 204.

Who would have squared off vs Romero? Rockhold was still coming off a KO Loss..Mousasi vs Romero maybe?

I actually think GSP probably would have. This was before his mild colitis flare up, and at the time he seemed very serious about challenging himself for the MW title. So I don’t see any reason why he would avoid Yoel during this timeline.

What do you think? Would it have been yoel vs GSP or someone else?
Love this question. It was one of the most fun divisions aside from the Bisping GSP debacle.

I would like to believe Mousasi would somehow get a shot. Wanted him to fight Rockhold and Whittaker so bad!

UFC would have paid Hendo to fight GSP. We would have ended up with the exact same situation as what transpired.

Lmao GSP's plans for the MW would have been dropped as fast as his mandatory contractual title defense against Whittaker.

No way gsp would fight romero

romero wouldn't fight romero
...wait, maybe he would

Lol. Of course not. It was opportunistic of GSP. Cherry picked.

No, GSP was very selective in who he'd fight for the MW title. He saw Bisping as favorable style match up with no really prohibitive physical advantages.

He might have fought Whitaker or Gastelum, but he doesn't want any part of Romero or Rockhold.

Reposting this because it's relevant. GSP's career strategy at a glance
WjSJffE.jpg

Depending on who's the MW champion at the time GSP may or may not challenge for the title. If it's someone like Romero, no fucking chance. Danaher himself is terrified of Romero, calls him the most uncontrollable man in the universe. Impossible to gameplan for due to his burst speed.

No. Can't see GSP signing to fight someone like Yoel or Rockhold for the strap.

Well, considering GSP started campaigning for a MW shot when Rockhold was champion, it's a terrible theory.
I tried googling “gsp wants to fight Luke Rockhold”

But this is all that came up
9CBE5767-37BF-474B-98EE-4B5664D6496C.png

There's no truth to this. If you search Google news for GSP + middleweight, and use June 4th 2016 (UFC199) as cut off date, you'll find nothing. The first sign of GSP's interest in the MW title came weeks AFTER Bisping won the title:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/...s-michael-bisping-title-fight-as-first-choice
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattco...-too-big-for-the-ufc-to-pass-up/#4b282d412352
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...urn-to-ufc-interested-in-bisping-and-mcgregor

And I found the above article after resetting my Google date range from June 4th 2016 to July 4th 2016. See it for yourself. June 4th = no results. July 4th = tons of results. It's fucking hilarious.

Back