• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would GSP be as successful if he were fighting in today's UFC?

Gsp could compete in any era, unless MMA evolves massively his skill set was that well rounded. The game isnt that much removed. Biggest difference is conditioning and the submission defence as the guard is now near none existent for elite male MMA fighters

Reactions: lsa
Certainly his style would translate. High fight IQ, great wrestling, and good jab. He could easily beat anyone in the current WW division.

The Usman from a few years ago had the strong legs. He's the one guy who would give GSP many problems and likely beats him.
Actually Edwards and Colby are very tough matchups as well.

iu

I think it's impossible to say because fighters are generally more well-rounded now. GSP fought a lot of one-dimensional fighters. He fought grapplers on the feet and grappled with strikers. He was the best at exploiting his opponents weakness.

Not always; GSP spent plenty of time wrestling wrestlers (Koscheck 1), grappling grapplers (Penn 2) and striking with strikers (e.g. second half of the Diaz fight). He was pretty good...

GSP was a high caliber fighter and he was champion just 10 years ago at WW. I highly doubt the game has drastically changed to a point where he wouldn't be highly competitive.

I think more than anything GSP had a very very high fight IQ and he heavily invested in his skills.

The meta of MMA changes frequently but I think GSP would still be 170 champ if he were around today and in his prime, simply because he can adapt and always fought intelligently.

he got crushed like a bug by matt serra also he wouldn't be gifted title shot early!

Yes 100%, he would dominate Edwards everywhere, GSP is so much better. He can wrestle him to death, but in the striking GSP is way faster and so much more dynamic also.

I honestly think Prime GSP (before he had his knee surgeries) would still he a dominant champ today.

His game is too complete and he's probably the most capable to exploit his opponents weaknesses.

Nope hed get sent to the shadow realm by prime Tyron and Usman

<{shaqs}>
we saw what jonny hendrixs did to em, and we saw what condit did to em too.

<{RoseRun}> Prime tyron was a sight to see, same with usman.
Bisping almost knocked out GSP on the feet<OKC16>remember that

He would dominate similarly to how he did previously, no question in my mind. Still the best all round fighter we’ve seen I believe

Yes, though I do think Shavkat might turn out to be the next big thing.

Gsp loved to pick fights and duck Spider. He got tapped to strikes by lw Sera who wasnt good enough to get a#1 contender spot. GSP broke koscheks eye and he played paddy cake for 25min boring Canadians out of the arena.

Gsp retired as a exciting fighter after Sera punched him into tapping 2min into rd 1. If Usman and GSP fought I'd hope for a double KO. ITS incredible how boring their styles are and a shame given GSPs striking originally.

Strickland by Brootal KO.

You're one of the worst, stupidest posters in this forum. Seriously, read a book or something.

Today's fighters aren't just one-trick ponies; they're Swiss Army knives. GSP was a genius at playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers. He'd out-strike grapplers and out-grapple strikers. But today? Fighters are bringing full toolkits to the cage. Would be dope to see how prime GSP would adapt to this new era of MMA warriors. His fight IQ's off the charts, so I wouldn't bet against him,.

Last edited:
GSP is from the past..cmon

Just imagine one of his generation, like I don't know, Jon Jones, against one of the best modern fighter of today's UFC..

What he would do? training evolved, skills evolved, food evolved..he would be absolutely blasted

Oh wait..

Back