• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would GSP be as successful if he were fighting in today's UFC?

Simple question, if prime GSP were fighting in today's UFC, do you think he would be as successful and dominant as he was?
Gsp ducked Silva and tapped to strikes by a top 20 guy nowhere near #1 contender. He has 0 killer instinct. 1tD and a nap for 25min. He was boring AF. In 2023 he couldn't get in top 10. He also fled the sport after beat to a bloody pulp by Hendrix and only returned not to fight Usman but 1 eye Bisping after a career of ducking Silva.

GSP ducked Usman who was more boring and better at what he did.

Prime GSP vs current Leon Edwards I'd say the fight looks similar to the Condit fight with Leon being soundly beaten in a competitive but easy to score fight where he has one or two significant moments but ultimately was outworked.

Prime GSP vs Usman is a more competitive fight for GSP in my opinion I guess obviously not the Usman that rematched Leon lol

Yes Stricklands the kind of fight I think GSP would be very interested in.

Gsp loved to pick fights and duck Spider. He got tapped to strikes by lw Sera who wasnt good enough to get a#1 contender spot. GSP broke koscheks eye and he played paddy cake for 25min boring Canadians out of the arena.

Gsp retired as a exciting fighter after Sera punched him into tapping 2min into rd 1. If Usman and GSP fought I'd hope for a double KO. ITS incredible how boring their styles are and a shame given GSPs striking originally.

Strickland by Brootal KO.

Yes, a 30yo GSP would rule the division today and be a dominant champ.

He was the master, with his team, at preparing the right gameplan, and at adapting during a fight. And he was one of the most well-rounded fighters to fight in the UFC

Today's WW elite has nothing for prime GSP

Last edited:
I disagree.

As John Danaher dictated in more recent interviews, GSP went into his middleweight reign with the intent of finishing fights again. This is why he battered bisping in striking before finishing with a submission. He had a new lease on finishing fights when he came back.

In addition, Belal doesn't have 75% of the skills GSP has. GSP would be ragdolling and finishing the guys he's laying on.

Sure, but then look at what the UFC is doing with Shavkat. That dude's been demolishing everyone just as impressively as early career GSP and yet he's stuck in limbo while the UFC continues to play favourites and fuck up all the matchmaking in the division. I'd argue that GSP would be stuck in a similar position, and likely worse since he actually understands his own brand value & management which is something the UFC really, really hates.

There's no question that prime GSP still beats everyone in the division pretty handily with the possible exception of Shavkat, but given what we know about UFC business practices they're gonna fuck him over at every opportunity.

Pretty sure prime GSP could still be champ today. Usman would have been tough but GSP beats him with crisper boxing and unmatched gameplan/well-roundedness.
He maybe drops a round or two against Leon too but again, his stats were all but maxed in his prime so odds are he would have found a way to win.
Guys like Shavkat and Borz (if he was stayed at 170) would give him the most trouble imo

Yes. GSP would have been competitive in today's UFC. Dude is a VERY smart fighter.
Came in to say this, his iq is what set him apart from most fighters in both prep, training & the fight. He could be champion if he fought just the champions in LW, WW & MW.

Mops the floor with every WW except Shavkat

Sure, but then look at what the UFC is doing with Shavkat. That dude's been demolishing everyone just as impressively as early career GSP and yet he's stuck in limbo while the UFC continues to play favourites and fuck up all the matchmaking in the division. I'd argue that GSP would be stuck in a similar position, and likely worse since he actually understands his own brand value & management which is something the UFC really, really hates.

There's no question that prime GSP still beats everyone in the division pretty handily with the possible exception of Shavkat, but given what we know about UFC business practices they're gonna fuck him over at every opportunity.

totally plausible

He would have been great at Wa cause the only guy who would be a heavy favorite over him (khamzat) is no longer a WW.

at MW GSP would have not faired well today

Why is it when these threads come up, the guy moving from one era to the other always has fixed abilities that wouldn't differ, but the opponents, they've evolved?

Logic says if GSP utilized all these more modern training techniques and other things that allegedly make the competition better now, he'd be better now too- or at least his skillset would differ.

He might not even be allowed to compete if all he would do is grapplefck the other guy thanks to WME/TKO. If he were to have purple cornrows, he might.

Purple Rows Pierre would be UltraGoat

a wrestler with shot knees, no bjj and basic striking was champion, now a good striker with decent tdd and no bjj is champion

gsp would own the division again

I think it's impossible to say because fighters are generally more well-rounded now.

But they're more well rounded partly because of GSP

Back