Would Floyd go down as the best ever if he...

If Floyd fights GGG it would only be to his own credit. He doesn't have to fight someone who is a legit MW like that. He didn't even have to fight Canelo and even the suggestion of Martinez should be unplausable. However, I say it would be to his credit if he fought because he would never beat GGG. People want him to keep stepping up in weight until he loses just so they can say he was never that good to begin with.

>like most
No. Who did he beat when they were past their primes? I suppose you could argue for Cotto, but who else?

Cotto is a definite yes. Pre-Margarito Cotto was a different fighter.

De la Hoya was about 5 years past his prime, same with Mosley. Even Marquez a bit. He's kinda having a resurgence but people are forgetting he was 36 when he fought Mayweather.

Though it's also true that he himself is probably a bit past his prime. It's a tough situation to analyze.

Floyd can talk all he wants about why he never took the Pac fight, he dodged him, and it will greatly affect his legacy, you don't avoid guys in their prime and expect to be considered an atg, end of story. He never took the fight cause there was a huge chance of him f'n losing, thats the real reason. Pac, a boxer who could have put him on his ass, a guy who doesn't telegraph his punches all with lightning speed. Fans should have boycotted him for that shit. That was the last ppv I ever bought of his when that disgrace happened.

Would've been the best fight ever

Last edited:
Canelo
Cotto
Mosley
Marquez
Hatton
Oscar
Baldomir
Judah
Gatti
Castillio
Corrales

Undefeated.

But Floyd has fought no one right? Even if Floyd was defeated that would still be an impressive list of names.

Still..... no Pacquiao. That should have happened. And without Pacquiao, hard to be ATG.

Doesn't telegraph his punches ... yet got picked apart by JMM. I think Pac swallowed every feint JMM threw at him.

Doesn't telegraph his punches ... yet got picked apart by JMM. I think Pac swallowed every feint JMM threw at him.

Good! Even better reason to fight him.

Last edited:
Canelo
Cotto
Mosley
Marquez
Hatton
Oscar
Baldomir
Judah
Gatti
Castillio
Corrales

Undefeated.

But Floyd has fought no one right? Even if Floyd was defeated that would still be an impressive list of names.

Its not even that though. Its the fact that he completely shut them down that is amazing.

if floyd would fight 70s era ali...and koed him in 5....without having any punches landed on him.....he might be in the top 15 of all time MAYBE

Good! Even better reason to fight him, Why is Floyd scared then? He could fight him and shut everyone up once and for all

DEFINTION OF DUCKING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKDBlJncuo

Juan-Manuel-Marquez-KO-Manny-Pacquiao.jpg

You need to leave.

both floyd and manny are to blame for that fight not happening

People are losing sight of how Mayweather beats people. He makes world champions look like decent fighters. He literally embarrasses world class professional championship boxers. I don't think there has been anyone that dominant with the exception of Roy Jones Jr. in the last few generations of boxers. Especially looking at the Canelo fight, Mayweather employed at least 3 different game plans that all required different rhythms, tempos, styles, etc. How many boxers have we seen that has been that intelligent in boxing history? Also keep in mind that this was the best Canelo we have ever seen.

A fight with GGG is highly unlikely. Martinez is ridiculous considering the weight classes. Even if he were to fight them, history would reject it because of the weight drainage that would have to happen. (think Ray Leonard and the light heavyweight championship) Pacquiao undermined his own status in boxing by getting knocked out, even though the first few rounds were the best he fought against Marquez. In short, I don't see how the aforementioned can improve his status in the pages of history. And quite frankly, I'm not sure why it's those 3 fighters, in particular the first 2, that would determine a better legacy for Mayweather should he beat them.

That said, I don't think there's anyone else Mayweather can or should beat to solidify his status in boxing history.

Floyd can talk all he wants about why he never took the Pac fight, he dodged him, and it will greatly affect his legacy, you don't avoid guys in their prime and expect to be considered an atg, end of story. He never took the fight cause there was a huge chance of him f'n losing, thats the real reason. Pac, a boxer who could have put him on his ass, a guy who doesn't telegraph his punches all with lightning speed. Fans should have boycotted him for that shit. That was the last ppv I ever bought of his when that disgrace happened.

Yeah, the Top Rank - Golden Boy saga had nothing to do with it at all. Come on man, get a grip of reality here. This fight was never going to happen with these two. To only blame one party and not both is foolish.

Saying that, Mayweather has beaten everyone that's been put in front of him, which is a fairly solid list of fighters. If any of the other "greats" were to come up against him right now I would be hard pressed to bet against him. Mayweather has the ability to adapt to any fighter. We've seen that time and time again.

Last edited:
A strong argument could already be made that he's the best ever, it's not just who he has beat, it's the way he beat them. JMM was #3 P4P and got completely shutout, Diego Corrales was supposed to be his biggest test, Shutout. Now Canelo was younger, stronger, etc.... Shutout.

I'd like to see him fight either Martinez or Garcia.

People are losing sight of how Mayweather beats people. He makes world champions look like decent fighters. He literally embarrasses world class professional championship boxers. I don't think there has been anyone that dominant with the exception of Roy Jones Jr. in the last few generations of boxers. Especially looking at the Canelo fight, Mayweather employed at least 3 different game plans that all required different rhythms, tempos, styles, etc. How many boxers have we seen that has been that intelligent in boxing history? Also keep in mind that this was the best Canelo we have ever seen.

A fight with GGG is highly unlikely. Martinez is ridiculous considering the weight classes. Even if he were to fight them, history would reject it because of the weight drainage that would have to happen. (think Ray Leonard and the light heavyweight championship) Pacquiao undermined his own status in boxing by getting knocked out, even though the first few rounds were the best he fought against Marquez. In short, I don't see how the aforementioned can improve his status in the pages of history. And quite frankly, I'm not sure why it's those 3 fighters, in particular the first 2, that would determine a better legacy for Mayweather should he beat them.

That said, I don't think there's anyone else Mayweather can or should beat to solidify his status in boxing history.

This

Both you guys get it. Dismantling world champions is what he does, and he doesn't get enough credit for how he wins. If you want to just look at wins and losses, fine, but if you actually watch the fights, many of the best wins on the records of the GOATS are ugly and somewhat unimpressive and unconvincing. Floyd leaves zero doubt that he was the better man.

Both you guys get it. Dismantling world champions is what he does, and he doesn't get enough credit for how he wins. If you want to just look at wins and losses, fine, but if you actually watch the fights, many of the best wins on the records of the GOATS are ugly and somewhat unimpressive and unconvincing. Floyd leaves zero doubt that he was the better man.

I think this is being very overlooked.

Juan has never been dominated by any fighter in the history of the sport but Floyd. people like to say the weight but juan proved them wrong by fighting 3 times there and looking good against an all time great by out boxing him once and putting him to sleep.

Juan looks great at 147 and I didnt have floyd losing a round. canelo gatti, corrales, hatton, zab, shane he beats these guys with no doubts. It truly is amazing.

Back