Worst Corner Advice?

This one always stands out in my mind.

"CMON KEV"

dammit hammerhouse, why u guys so tough?

This one always stands out in my mind.

"CMON KEV"

dammit hammerhouse, why u guys so tough?

Manny Pacquiao vs Joshua Clottey.

Clotteys trainer just kept on telling him he was losing every single round without explaining what to do.

While Mannys corner had just about the best advice

Penn vs Sanchez Saulo Ribeiro saying shou got to take eem down

In JDS's cornerman's defence, he could have meant when he was getting pressed up against the fence. He was gassing hard so his chance of using light footwork was out, then Cain was pressuring his back up against the cage for most of the fight so his feet were out of position to slip. I'd like to think he meant get your hands up when you're on fence, but I'm speculating.
I find the cheerleading and the 3 voices at once the worst cornering.
"Go get some", "you can do it", and "Show him your a warrior" mean jack shit. If there is nothing constructive ie, "he's raising his chin on flurrys", or "he's bringing his jab back low", shut the fuck up and let the fighter think about it himself.
The other is when you get two or three coachs all screaming advice at the same time and jumping from topic to topic, especially with lower level fighters. You see fighters nodding, "yep, yep, yep" but they haven't taken a word of it in pasts their adrenaline. That's the reason I tell my coach to make me repeat what he said back to him.

I suppose they could have meant that and the translator missed the nuances of the coach's advice. But it just seemed like he wanted his hands held high, and that's neither Junior's style, nor an effective way to defend against Cain. Honestly, I was overjoyed when Junior threw out some body jabs in the third or fourth. But he was too exhausted by that point for it to do any good.

not the worst, but it was very frustrating when Brendon Smith was telling Katsidis that he was doing great against Juan Diaz, while kats was losing pretty much every round. Telling him to 'box', which is his weak point.

And the funny thing about that scenario really wasn't even their advice itself rather their justification for it. You could hear his corner screaming, "He isn't expecting it, throw the body kick!" I could even hear them in between rounds saying that he wasn't expecting it this time I guess as if to say, "surely he doesn't think you're this stupid to do what hasn't been working this entire fight, let's use that!"
^^^ THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF A CORNERMAN IS STUPID.... AND ONLY TRUMPED BY THE FIGHTERS WHO RELY ON & LISTEN TO THEM....

KarateStylist

Alright, I'll bite. Why's it stupid, KarateStylist?
^^^ Kinda feel like NUKE here,,,, except unlike NLM, I didn't type up long disclaimers to be read which ultimately weren't read by posters to his T anyway, anyway @ that KYO Sparring Vid of his posted re / now -closed Detonation Thread....

What I'm saying is I've spoken to this, now scattered in historic posts, laced with troll gibberish in reply.....

^^^ Let me yield the floor.... you tell how a cornerman helps you... give a specific or 2 from one or 2 of your fights....

^^^ Then I'll give one 'cause TMA don't work in MMA.... right Discipulus.... not without ooddles of "adjustments," not without extensive, hard sparring experience....
get rid of the "horse stance," for chr*st sakes....

Back to you....
Tell that to Sugar Ray Leonard or Muhammad Ali.

:rolleyes:
^^^ Trot out the BIG NAMES and dump on poor karatestylist.... I get lectures like this @ my current dojang... I'm right 'cause mr. big instructor said so." YOU REALLY DO NEED A CORNERMAN... BADLY....

^^^ From self-important black-belts who don't show up regularly.....

.>>> oH, and by the way... those conquering the world through their 'Dog posts..... the theory behind traditional karate training has nothing to do with what those boxing icons are training....

KarateStylist

P>S> No wonder TSG is still out in the cold......

Last edited:
Well, you can't say I didn't try.
^^^ you didn't try @ all,,,, you're such a tough guy in your gargage against the heavy bag {a wimp like me doesn't use--an inanimate object.}, yet you can't step up and take the initiative when challenged by a person.... better stay in your garage & take internet lessons from NLM on how to step up.... :p

Even Fierce red-belt stepped up, inappropriately I have to put him in his place gently.... but the guy steps up & I respected that... A sore loser I can abide.... and I knew a bit about his past.... no problem.... The guy stepped up to a "newbie" & lost.... he still stepped up....

EDIT: WAITING........
edit2: still waiting.....
Edit3: Still waiting....

KarateStylist

P.S> Check out my official "walk-out" theme.... thx to all for suggestions.....

Last edited:
I didn't trot out those names because I'm saying that if big names do it then everyone should.
I said those names because time n again those of the very biggest names , guys who you'd expect to least be in the need of in-ring advice , were bailed out at the biggest stages of their lives.

Leonard vs Hearns ............you're blowing it , son !

Ali vs Liston 1 , Frazier 3 , Henry Cooper .

Know your history before commenting in such general terms.

I didn't trot out those names because I'm saying that if big names do it then everyone should.
I said those names because time n again those of the very biggest names , guys who you'd expect to least be in the need of in-ring advice , were bailed out at the biggest stages of their lives.

Leonard vs Hearns ............you're blowing it , son !

Ali vs Liston 1 , Frazier 3 , Henry Cooper .

Know your history before commenting in such general terms.
^^^ It's a forum... a simple explanation is all that's required.... thank you....

KarateStylist

He doesn't know a damn thing about boxing, and I suspect he doesn't even train in Tang Soo Do, either (yes, that's right. He doesn't study Karate, despite the screen name). Just ignore him. He has a habit of forcing others to derail threads for him, because it's just so tempting to spit back at the ignorant nonsense he says. I've been trapped many times in my day, and now I'm trying to resist!

KS, cornermen help by offering a different perspective on yourself and your opponent for you between rounds.

Have you ever video taped a sparring session and been surprised watching it later at how different things look from how you remember them?

^^^ you didn't try @ all,,,, you're such a tough guy in your gargage against the heavy bag {a wimp like me doesn't use--an inanimate object.}, yet you can't step up and take the initiative when challenged by a person.... better stay in your garage & take internet lessons from NLM on how to step up.... :p

Even Fierce red-belt stepped up, inappropriately I have to put him in his place gently.... but the guy steps up & I respected that... A sore loser I can abide.... and I knew a bit about his past.... no problem.... The guy stepped up to a "newbie" & lost.... he still stepped up....

This is the best trolling I've ever seen - like a matador waving his red cape before the bull.

^^^ It's a forum... a simple explanation is all that's required.... thank you....

KarateStylist

Iam .

Nothing personal but negative general statements should be backed up by some pretty solid facts and arguments IMO

That and the fact that I thought u would understand , right off the bat , when I mentioned those names in context .
Instead u thought I was dumping on you.......hence the "know your history" part.

Back