World Food Program Says 130 million people at risk of starvation from COVID-19 impact

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The World Food Program (of the United Nations) says that 130 million people worldwide are at risk of starvation. The virus itself has only killed a quarter million people (reportedly) worldwide, so some very simple mathematics tells us that the quarantining is doing more damage than the virus itself.

It's time to be selfless, and open the economy back up to save lives.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coron...X6iw0dmtnujQ6Akj_y0agJ4AZCyuogHZlMk-E1y8fAk2A

The coronavirus pandemic could soon double hunger, causing famines of "biblical proportions" around the world by the end of the year, the head of the World Food Programme, David Beasley, told the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday.

Beasley warned that analysis from the World Food Programme, the U.N.'s food-assistance branch, shows that because of the coronavirus, "an additional 130 million people could be pushed to the brink of starvation by the end of 2020. That’s a total of 265 million people."

Last edited:
The World Food Program (of the United Nations) says that 130 million people worldwide are at risk of starvation due to quarantining. The virus itself has only killed a quarter million people (reportedly) worldwide, so some very simple mathematics tells us that the quarantining is doing more damage than the virus itself.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coron...X6iw0dmtnujQ6Akj_y0agJ4AZCyuogHZlMk-E1y8fAk2A

Well, you don't say. Please also post this in the COVID thread.

Everyone knows abcnews is an alt right propaganda hate speech outlet controlled by the Koch brothers. Those starving people are just dummies complaining about having to watch netflix for a few weeks and want people to die.

If people start to starve they can just grab some chocolate or ice cream from one of their fully stocked $12k refrigerators.
<{vega}>

Can you quote the part of that article you’re referring to in the OP? The part you quoted does not say anything about quarantines. Did you insert that?

For example, Coronavirus outbreaks at meat plants may cause a meat shortage. That’s due to the virus, not quarantines.

Can you quote the part of that article you’re referring to in the OP? The part you quoted does not say anything about quarantine. Did you insert that?
Are you claiming that the 130 million people at risk of starvation is not due to the economic shutdowns worldwide but instead a symptom of the virus itself? The mathematics of an interconnected world economy should lead you to the correct answer, but if you are unable to make that deduction on your own, please tell me how else COVID-19 could cause 130 million people to starve in a matter of weeks? You're obviously smart and can provide the answer.

Are you claiming that the 130 million people at risk of starvation is not due to the economic shutdowns worldwide but instead a symptom of the virus itself? The mathematics of an interconnected world economy should lead you to the correct answer, but if you are unable to make that deduction on your own, please tell me how else COVID-19 could cause 130 million people to starve in a matter of weeks? You're obviously smart and can provide the answer.

I wasn’t claiming that at all. I was just trying to locate the specifics that you seemed to be referring to, because they were not actually a part of the article you posted (from what I was seeing).

I agree the vast majority of the starvation issue will come from lack of income, and slowing of production due to shutdowns. But I’m also curious to know how much damage actual outbreaks have the potential to cause, since we’ve seen what has happened at meat packing plants that remained in operation.

I have 5 months worth of meat in my garage freezer and I stocked up on rice and beans in my pantry just in case. I'm all for blue state cities to keep shut down and eventually run out of food, not my problem.

So are we supposed to believe globalism is good now? This Interconnected food chain to feed countless millions across the globe.

I just want to make sure the correct narrative going forward.

California is set to begin the initial stages of reopening the economy this Friday.

Bookstores, music stores, sporting goods type shops can resume business on Friday with pick up only.

I have 5 months worth of meat in my garage freezer and I stocked up on rice and beans in my pantry just in case. I'm all for blue state cities to keep shut down and eventually run out of food, not my problem.
When our food supply runs low, we’ll just move to your state and raise your cost of living

The World Food Program (of the United Nations) says that 130 million people worldwide are at risk of starvation due to quarantining. The virus itself has only killed a quarter million people (reportedly) worldwide, so some very simple mathematics tells us that the quarantining is doing more damage than the virus itself.

You must be one of those dumb republicans who is willing to sacrifice meemaw so that you can get a haircut...

So are we supposed to believe globalism is good now? This Interconnected food chain to feed countless millions across the globe.

The correct way forward is to stop being a hypocritical partisan hack... I’m not holding my breath tho.

The right will pretend to care about starving kids in Africa if they can use it to own the libs.

Back