• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International World’s first carbon tax on livestock will cost farmers $100 per cow

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Black
Reaction score
By Hanna Ziady, CNN

images

LondonCNN — Dairy farmers in Denmark face having to pay an annual tax of 672 krone ($96) per cow for the planet-heating emissions they generate.

The country’s coalition government agreed this week to introduce the world’s first carbon emissions tax on agriculture. It will mean new levies on livestock starting in 2030.

Denmark is a major dairy and pork exporter, and agriculture is the country’s biggest source of emissions. The coalition agreement — which also entails investing 40 billion krone ($3.7 billion) in measures such as reforestation and establishing wetlands — is aimed at helping the country meet its climate goals.

“With today’s agreement, we are investing billions in the biggest transformation of the Danish landscape in recent times,” Foreign Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen said in a statement Tuesday. “At the same time, we will be the first country in the world with a (carbon) tax on agriculture.”

images

The Danish dairy industry broadly welcomed the agreement and its goals, but it has angered some farmers.

The move comes just months after farmers held protests across Europe, blocking roads with tractors and pelting the European Parliament with eggs over a long list of complaints, including gripes about environmental regulation and excessive red tape.

The global food system is a huge contributor to the climate crisis, producing around a third of greenhouse gas emissions.

Livestock farming has a particularly big impact, accounting for around 12% of global emissions in 2015, according to the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization. A share of this pollution comes from methane, a potent planet-warming gas produced by cows and some other animals through their burps and manure.

Reducing livestock emissions​

The tax, expected to be approved by Denmark’s parliament later this year, will amount to 300 krone ($43) per tonne (1.1 ton) of CO2-equivalent emissions from livestock from 2030, rising to 750 krone ($107) in 2035.

A 60% tax break will apply, meaning that farmers will effectively be charged 120 krone ($17) per tonne of livestock emissions per year from 2030, rising to 300 krone ($43) in 2035.

On average, Danish dairy cows, which account for much of the cattle population, emit 5.6 tonnes of CO2-equivalent per year, according to Concito, a green think tank in Denmark. Using the lower tax rate of 120 krone results in a charge of 672 krone per cow, or $96.

With the tax break in place, that levy will rise to 1,680 krone per cow in 2035 ($241).

In the first two years, the proceeds from the tax will be used to support the agricultural industry’s green transition and then reassessed.

“The whole purpose of the tax is to get the sector to look for solutions to reduce emissions,” Concito’s chief economist Torsten Hasforth told CNN. For example, farmers could change the feed they use.

But Danish farmers’ group Bæredygtigt Landbrug said the measures amounted to a “scary experiment.”

“We believe that the agreement is pure bureaucracy,” chairman Peter Kiær said in a statement. “We recognize that there is a climate problem… But we do not believe that this agreement will solve the problems, because it will put a spoke in the wheel of agriculture’s green investments.”

Peder Tuborgh, the CEO of Arla Foods, Europe’s largest dairy group, said the agreement was “positive” but that farmers who “genuinely do everything they can to reduce emissions” should not be subjected to a tax.

“It is essential that the tax base for a (carbon) tax is solely based on emissions for which there are means to eliminate (them),” he added in statement.

Kristian Hundeboll, the CEO of DLG Group, one of Europe’s biggest agricultural businesses and a cooperative owned by 25,000 Danish farmers, said it was “crucial for competitiveness” for the tax to be “anchored” in European Union legislation. “Neither the climate, agriculture nor the ancillary industries benefit from Denmark acting unilaterally,” he said.

Laura Paddison contributed to this article.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/26/business/denmark-cows-carbon-tax/index.html

I hope it's effective. I can't speak to other countries but the meat and dairy lobby in the US is quite powerful. A lotta people have been fed (har har) a lotta propaganda without realizing it. Raising animals for food is rough on the environment, very resource intensive.

I hope it's effective. I can't speak to other countries but the meat and dairy lobby in the US is quite powerful. A lotta people have been fed (har har) a lotta propaganda without realizing it. Raising animals for food is rough on the environment, very resource intensive.

Lobbyists are gearing up for the lab-grown meat battle on the horizon.

It has none of the traditional environmental concerns, and is actually identical to the market products at the cellular level.
Not an issue yet because the production costs are currently sky-high, but they are coming down.

But traditional livestock are facing challenges on a lot of fronts. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Sure thing, soy boy.
Data and objective fact don't care about your feelings.

Your inability to have mastery over your baboon brain and your desire for taste bud pleasure do not entitle you to destroy the fucking planet.

"Sure thing, soy boy" is a mental midget's cuck out response to avoid having to engage earnestly.

Great, more farmers will quit in Denmark and more megafarms will be built in Eastern Europe and other parts with less regulations where they farm less efficiently, as demand for meat will continue to stay the same.

Great, more farmers will quit in Denmark and more megafarms will be built in Eastern Europe and other parts with less regulations where they farm less efficiently, as demand for meat will continue to stay the same.
Oh no, the horror! Less shit contaminating our drinking water and fewer sentient creatures being tortured and chopped up! What ever will we do?!? =[

Oh no, the horror! Less shit contaminating our drinking water and fewer sentient creatures being tortured and chopped up! What ever will we do?!? =[

But there will be more of it dummy. People will keep eating meat but it will just be produced in less advanced places and then shipped over to the developed world.

But there will be more of it dummy. People will keep eating meat but it will just be produced in less advanced places and then shipped over to the developed world.
Market conditions shape production and consumption. I'm sorry you don't understand even elementary things about how society works. Higher price of meat from carbon tax = less consumption of meat.

"don't pass anti-corruption laws! that will create more corruption!"
"don't ever do anything to address anything, that will only create more of the thing!" - the republican answer anytime society tries to address any problem, ever

If you love meat production and consumption, and your argument is that this carbon tax will create more of it, that means you're in support of this carbon tax, right?

Data and objective fact don't care about your feelings.

Your inability to have mastery over your baboon brain and your desire for taste bud pleasure do not entitle you to destroy the fucking planet.

"Sure thing, soy boy" is a mental midget's cuck out response to avoid having to engage earnestly.
There's not much point in engaging with someone who talks about "destroying the planet", but let's give it a try anyway.

I'm not a fan of the carbon tax and I would rather see the governments give incentives to farmers/scientists who find ways to make the production less of a strain on our resources.

The big companies will pass on the cost to the customers and it's going to be a huge hit to small farms who struggle to survive.

The tax is short sighted and doesn't fix anything. It's an easy way to tell people they're doing something when in fact it's just plain lazy.

Intensive animal husbandry like dairy is admittedly often bad for the environment, but farmers are often an easy target for regulation. They can’t go anywhere else, outsource their impacts to third world countries or play in dodgy environmental credit offsets like big polluters and multinationals. I’d rather see investment in helping them raise environmental standards.

Not sure about Denmark, but Dairying is already a tough gig here in Australia. Lot of people leaving the industry. And there’s people who think going vegetarian is good for the environment.

There's not much point in engaging with someone who talks about "destroying the planet", but let's give it a try anyway.
I'm sorry that you're allergic to empiricism. But facts don't care about your feelings.
I'm not a fan of the carbon tax and I would rather see the governments give incentives to farmers/scientists who find ways to make the production less of a strain on our resources.
"I am not a fan of the thing that I will say I am a fan of in the rest of this sentence"
The big companies will pass on the cost to the customers
Yes - that is how markets work. Currently, the cost of meat is not reflected in its price because the public is subsidizing it massively. Why are meat producers entitled to billions and billions and billions of dollars of tax payer money, in order to make their planet destroying product be cheaper?
and it's going to be a huge hit to small farms who struggle to survive.
Good - fuck them. They are producing a product that is causing mass extinction and planetary destruction.
The tax is short sighted and doesn't fix anything. It's an easy way to tell people they're doing something when in fact it's just plain lazy.
It raises costs, which will cut production and consumption, which is the goal. It will accomplish exactly its intended effect.

I am sorry that your emotional attachment to sensory pleasure short circuits your ability for reason. You are no different from a bug or any other animal in that respect.

I'm sorry that you're allergic to empiricism. But facts don't care about your feelings.

"I am not a fan of the thing that I will say I am a fan of in the rest of this sentence"

Yes - that is how markets work. Currently, the cost of meat is not reflected in its price because the public is subsidizing it massively. Why are meat producers entitled to billions and billions and billions of dollars of tax payer money, in order to make their planet destroying product be cheaper?

Good - fuck them. They are producing a product that is causing mass extinction and planetary destruction.

It raises costs, which will cut production and consumption, which is the goal. It will accomplish exactly its intended effect.

I am sorry that your emotional attachment to sensory pleasure short circuits your ability for reason. You are no different from a bug or any other animal in that respect.
Nah. You're the dumb animal who's going to be eating bugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chenmania
Back