Workplace sparring

Bjj is good in a one on one situation without weapons/tools and preferably a padded mat (when Helio fought Kimura they even had an extra padded mat so the throws wouldnt hurt Helio). You can

I try to keep work and training seperate. I had a co-worker who wanted to wrestle around, and I said "Sure, maybe sometime", but I doubt it will happen. People in my office know I fight, and I think they will go to my next fight... but trying to show dominance over a co-worker won't accomplish anything more than possible hard feelings or awkwardness later down the line.

I was in a similar situation. Everyone in my office new I trained in MMA and one guy who said he was a black belt in some MA (I can't remember what, it was a while ago) and wanted to show me how what he knew was more effective. I'm never one to turn down a challenge like that so I had all my gear in my car and we both put on 12 oz boxing gloves and head gear and I proceeded to knock him around the office. This was after hours and like half the office was there watching. I would have felt bad but he challenged me.

This isn't really workplace sparring, but I know what you mean about friends/co-workers challenging you.

In high school, all of my friends knew that I trained. However, I was very skinny and bad at most sports, so they didn't take me seriously. One of my best friends started hanging out with us around 10th grade, and he studied an almost complete scam martial art, Oom Yung Doe. They basically brainwashed him that it was the ultimate death art and he bought it because he didn't know any better yet.

One day we were at lunch, and one of my friends said something like "I bet he (death master friend) could kick your ass because he is way bigger." Obviously this is real awkward for both of us so I said something like "Well it's pretty lame to say something like that it. It would probably be pretty even." I said this so as not to put the death master friend on the spot. To my surprise, the death master says, "Yeah, my stuff is way more powerful." I was like WTF and it was on.

My first match against him was at a party. We had no gear so we fought point style (very light contact just to show that you could hit). I basically ran circles around him tapping him in the head to show I could hit him. It convinced almost everyone else, but my death master friend still said afterwards that he won. I was like okay, he is my friend but next time he learns.

A while later we put on boxing gloves and boxed full contact. I knocked him out in ten seconds flat. It wasn't like unconscious brutal convulsions, but I knocked him on his ass and he could not get back up. After that, he stopped training as much at the scam place.

Nowadays he is one of my best friends and even trains grappling with me sometimes. He still points out some of the flaws of grappling (most of which are valid points), but recognizes its effectiveness in certain situations.

Again, it's not really workplace sparring, but I thought it fit into the thread.

Balto said:
This isn't really workplace sparring, but I know what you mean about friends/co-workers challenging you.

In high school, all of my friends knew that I trained. However, I was very skinny and bad at most sports, so they didn't take me seriously. One of my best friends started hanging out with us around 10th grade, and he studied an almost complete scam martial art, Oom Yung Doe. They basically brainwashed him that it was the ultimate death art and he bought it because he didn't know any better yet.

One day we were at lunch, and one of my friends said something like "I bet he (death master friend) could kick your ass because he is way bigger." Obviously this is real awkward for both of us so I said something like "Well it's pretty lame to say something like that it. It would probably be pretty even." I said this so as not to put the death master friend on the spot. To my surprise, the death master says, "Yeah, my stuff is way more powerful." I was like WTF and it was on.

My first match against him was at a party. We had no gear so we fought point style (very light contact just to show that you could hit). I basically ran circles around him tapping him in the head to show I could hit him. It convinced almost everyone else, but my death master friend still said afterwards that he won. I was like okay, he is my friend but next time he learns.

A while later we put on boxing gloves and boxed full contact. I knocked him out in ten seconds flat. It wasn't like unconscious brutal convulsions, but I knocked him on his ass and he could not get back up. After that, he stopped training as much at the scam place.

Nowadays he is one of my best friends and even trains grappling with me sometimes. He still points out some of the flaws of grappling (most of which are valid points), but recognizes its effectiveness in certain situations.

Again, it's not really workplace sparring, but I thought it fit into the thread.

My buddies were over and called my Frank Shamrock instructionals gay. So I wrestled with them on my front lawn and I triangled the shit out of one of them. The next day I saw him, he said, "yeah, I rented a UA event from Hollywood Video, damn they use that triangle choke a lot," lol.

Shooto#1 said:
Bjj is good in a one on one situation without weapons/tools and preferably a padded mat (when Helio fought Kimura they even had an extra padded mat so the throws wouldnt hurt Helio). You can

Joe Lauzon said:
I try to keep work and training seperate. I had a co-worker who wanted to wrestle around, and I said "Sure, maybe sometime", but I doubt it will happen. People in my office know I fight, and I think they will go to my next fight... but trying to show dominance over a co-worker won't accomplish anything more than possible hard feelings or awkwardness later down the line.

I agree with you there, but one way to lessen any of that stuff if you do want to wrestle him is to beat him then take the role of teacher and teach him something new. So at least both of you got something out of it. When I roll with people and I beat them (everynow and then hah), I try and do that so they don't feel too bad about getting tapped.

QingTian said:
You might be real enthusiastic now, which is good, but 2 months of BJJ is not going to keep your ass from getting whooped by anyone who would whoop you before you started.
Thank you.

to me, yes. i find any martial arts about respect, but that's how i grew up.
-Jon

Shooto#1 made a real good point: 1v1 controlled backyard is good, 1v who knows what, just run.
-Jon

Back