Workplace sparring

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So I've trained BJJ for 2 mos but have prior wrestling experience and aggression and confidence

Today I showed a coworker a clip of the Mundial Jacare match and he said, " Not interested"
and that Karate is much better and more effective. Before he said he trained karate.

So I just demonstrated a RNC on him and he said he would just reach back and punch me. (LOL)

He lives nearby so I told him to get dressed and come back and we could spar LIVE for a minute. He eventually said no, and I showed him the Royce and Rickson UFC highlights and Jason Delucia clip. He definately changed his tone after that.

BTW - Was it bad BJJ ettiquite to challenge him like that?

He probably thought you were a fight starting kook. If you'd said "If you believe that, how about we go to an MMA gym and you can see how well your karate does there" you may have got a more interested response rather than basically going "Oh yeah, you think karate is badass? Meet me back here in 10 minutes and I'll kick your ass".

lol yeh i agree

a more suttle approach would of been better

Yes, thank you guys, I did feel a little bit kooky afterwards.

Cardio said:
Yes, thank you guys, I did feel a little bit kooky afterwards.

"Hey, watch this grappling video! Still think Karate owns? Lets go, lunchour just started, prepare to be schooled! Its ok, leave he shirt and tie on bitch!!"

Your question,"BTW - Was it bad BJJ ettiquite to challenge him like that?"

Probably was bad BJJ ettiquite, LOL

But everyone I know including me did the very same thing the first couple of years of training in BJJ. Your a new convert and ready to tell the world the truth, praise to the BJJ gods and pass the offering plate.

Thats the tradition, the Gracies came here and visited Dojos and Schools and whooped on people and handed out cards for there Academys.

I trained in boxing and judo for years and was the quiet martial artist who was quite and kinda kept my martial arts private. I fancyed myself as a good boxer, and with my judo wasnt afraid to tie up, grab and throw a guy in a street fight. I trained boxing and tried sutff I saw in the movies and tried to be cool. I like many had that pretty Hollywood picture of a good looking fight in my head, but when I got into a fight it was always hard, ugly and went to the ground. I trained standup but I naturally took it to the ground?

Saw my first UFC and went crazy!

Cesar Gracie opened his first Academy just down the street from my house! Never went back to my Gym. Then telling the truth began, and people didnt beleive, so I had to show them. Before I even got my Blue belt, I whooped my Judo coach and a bunch of boxing buddies.

Wasnt long I had a bunch of new BJJ pals, and if I was nice I would go to a function once in a while with my NON-Jiu-jitsu friends, just to keep in touch, LOL

This topic of the phenominan of the "light going on" would make a good editorial artical on how revolutionary BJJ has been to the martial arts community. Cracks me up tho, how many hold outs there still are.

www.BJjBook.com

Well, it wasn't bad BJJ ettiquite, as the Gracie's used to do the same sort of thing, but nowadays you just don't do things like that. Challenging him to a fight over an opinion is just dumb. But offering for him to go to an MMA school, or even your Jiu-Jitsu school, would have worked fine.

You might be real enthusiastic now, which is good, but 2 months of BJJ is not going to keep your ass from getting whooped by anyone who would whoop you before you started.

i used to box with a guy in a vacant office after work. That was pretty fun.

once i was challenged to a takedown match at a hospital i worked at. I told a guy i could take him down in 5 seconds max. Unfortunately all we had was linoleum flooring in a vacant patient room, and after the takedown it turned ugly, and we ended up having to be separated by our "referee"

Cardio said:
He eventually said no, and I showed him the Royce and Rickson UFC highlights and Jason Delucia clip. He definately changed his tone after that.

The Royce v Delucia clip is one of the best out there(that I've seen anyway).

Is your co-worker gonna train bjj now?

LOL Some of the Army guys that work in the same office I do have a little "Fight Club" going on where, they grapple and try to tap each other out with their "Army combatives" training. None of them are any good and one of them challenged me to go. I tapped him in about 15 secs. He's a big boy, about 215, but not in too good of shape and I don't think they learn much in their training about proper submissions. Fun stuff, but since there's no mat in the office, I have to rethink pulling guard on them. Not comfortable at all.

I initiated one of my co workers to bjj 2 months ago. I showed him Rickson's Choke documentary and he went nutts. This guy has no martial arts background neither and is now training 3x week at our gym. He is always coming up to me at the office and asking me how to get out of this position or how to pass this guys guard. He's hooked and it's awesome.

QingTian said:
You might be real enthusiastic now, which is good, but 2 months of BJJ is not going to keep your ass from getting whooped by anyone who would whoop you before you started.

I tend to disagree with you there, as long as you aint no wuss and had good basics training
you can go a long way from zero in 2 month in bjj.

My friend and I used to practice pins and submissions in his front room from books we'd read. God we had NO idea what we were doing... :redface:

I used to work as a security guard at uni and the same friend and I would practice silat and spar with escrima sticks on the higher floors when everyone had gone home.

As for challenging random co-workers, I wouldn't recommend that unless they're really getting in your face about their karate or whatever.

i used to work in a hotel and would always spar with the chefs at the kitchen to work on my knife defense.

Yeah...at first everyone is real excited. I used to force my wife to practice submissions with me when I first started taking Sambo.

Now I'm saving up from a grappling dummy for home practice. Coworkers and girlfriends/wives are just not good partners for out of class practie. ;)

You could have shown him that BJJ vs Karate clip on Bullshido.com

Bmonk said:
You could have shown him that BJJ vs Karate clip on Bullshido.com

LOL - Fulton vs. Bullock!!!

OWNED!

mogway said:
I initiated one of my co workers to bjj 2 months ago. I showed him Rickson's Choke documentary and he went nutts. This guy has no martial arts background neither and is now training 3x week at our gym. He is always coming up to me at the office and asking me how to get out of this position or how to pass this guys guard. He's hooked and it's awesome.

Haha good story

i have been involved in that, someone would see me looking at a magazine or talking about something mma related and talk about oh so u train and want to throw down right there; lots of time i just got out of it a couple'a times i ended up getting in prtty much a fight because of it.

Back