Working Up to a Max Set of 3 Reps?

theNuge

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've done numerous Google-Fu searches and searches on this forum and I couldn't find any information on the following. I don't know the "proper" way to work up to a max set of 3 reps like the WSFSB tells you to do.

Here's what I did for my last ME Upper Body day for the Bench Press:

45x5x2
65x3x2
75x3
95x3
115x3
135x3
145x3
155x3
165x3
175x3
180x3 --> 5 lb PR but the third rep went up HARD
185x3 --> FAILED

Looking back on it now I realize that's definitely too much volume. Someone posted in my log to do the following:

145x3x5
175x3x3

I don't know how I would then work in my max. Would I do it after the 3 sets of 175? In general, I need help in this area.

On a side note, I FINALLY ordered Starting Strength and Practical Programming. I'm guessing those books will definitely give me some insight into this topic but until then... I suck!!!

I know you're following WS4SB, so I'm not sure if this is right according to that program, but I would use less sets nd space the weight out a little bit more. For instance, say your estimated 1RM is 205, you can do:

45x5
95x5
135x3
155x3
185x2
205x1

For me on max days, I like to have a couple sets before so I know I'm warm, but so I know I'm not tired or fatigued. You did 14 sets and if you then wanted to max, I'd imagine you being pretty tired. But, I'm not sure how/if this would fit into your program.

So, here's what I'm thinking of doing with my deadlift today:

- Warmup
135x5x2
155x3x2
- Work Sets (Old PR is 235 but I had some left in tank)
185x5
205x3
225x3
Try 255x3
If I fail 255x3 then try 245x3

Thoughts? God, I don't know why I keep waffling on this. I feel so stupid.

From Joe DeFranco's Q&A:

Q: Hi Joe, I’m a skinny bastard and I have recently started your workout plan. I
really enjoy it but I’m very confused about the first exercise:
MAX-EFFORT LIFT - Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps

Let's say I do bench. How many sets am I doing? I understand every set I
am to add weight, but how low in weight do I start and how many sets
total am I looking to do? For the last week I have been doing 3 sets
and adding weight within those 3 until I can only do 3 but I’m not sure
if I’m doing it right.

Thank you for your time,
Jay

A: Jay,

Between my website, t-nation.com & elitefts.com, I think I’ve answered this question about 9000 times over the past 2 years. And now, for the 9001st time, here I go again…

When I say “work up” to a max, it means that the sets leading up to your max attempt are UNDETERMINED. It is undetermined for 2 reasons:
The stronger you are, the more sets it will take you to reach your max attempt
Everyone is different regarding warming up…some people like to take small jumps when working up to their max attempt, while other people respond better to making larger jumps.

Regardless of your strength & warm-up preference, I give the general guideline of 5 sets minimum on max-effort lifts. I think that one of the reasons that skinny, weak bastards don’t get as strong as they should on the “Westside” template is because they don’t do enough sets on max-effort exercises. For example, let’s say a skinny high school kid wanted to attempt a 5-rep max with 135 lbs. on the bench press – It is NOT optimal for him to do 95 lbs. for 5 reps and then attempt 135 lbs. He should get in more volume with his max-effort lift if he wants to get bigger & stronger. I would suggest 3 sets leading up to his max attempt and then maybe 1 or 2 “drop-off” sets after his max attempt with 90% of his max, depending on how he feels.

Hopefully I won’t have to ever answer this question again.

Joe D.

How I might do it:

45x10
65x5
85x5
105x3
125x3
145x3
165x3
185x3
175x3x2

What I did on WS4SB was one week with a couple of sets, say 2-4, over 90% but under 100%. The next week I went for a new max. But I didn't gain a lot of strength training this way...

What I did on WS4SB was one week with a couple of sets, say 2-4, over 90% but under 100%. The next week I went for a new max. But I didn't gain on a lot of strength training this way...

I alternate weeks

Week 1
Build up to set of 3 at 195
eg

Week 2
6 sets of 3 at weight 195

I've put 2.5 lbs a week on my bench for about 2 months like this I'm not sure if it's the best way but it strikes a balance between volume and power I think.

Joe Defranco recommend ATLEAST 5 sets. If you want to more or the weight you're going to attempt is 'heavy', by all means do more. Whatever works for you.

I think you should do something like 3x5 @ 135, then 3x3 @ 165

I alternate weeks

Week 1
Build up to set of 3 at 195
eg

Week 2
6 sets of 3 at weight 195

I've put 2.5 lbs a week on my bench for about 2 months like this I'm not sure if it's the best way but it strikes a balance between volume and power I think.

Ah so essentially it's just doing pyramid training until 3 reps is your max. I understand.

Back