Working Through Hip Pinch

Oblivian

Aging
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm making this thread documenting my dealings with hip pinch in hopes that it may help someone else out or that I can get some tips to help myself out. I've been lifting for about 11 years now, and I'm always working through some sort of ache or pain. I have never dealt with hip pinch until recently. It's basically a tightness or discomfort that I feel near my hip when I reach near parallel in a squat. It's most noticeable when stopping the descent of the squat and then trying to come out of the hole. I'm also noticing discomfort when setting up for leg drive + an arch on bench press.

When did this start for me and what triggered it
This started about 3-4 weeks ago. What triggered it? No idea. I've been squatting for a long time and have never had it. I will say I was hitting some PRs on squats and peaking. Another theory is that I got it from catching a clean and jerk wrong. I've been dicking around with the oly lifts for a while, and I've never really got decent at them. I sometimes catch the clean funky at the bottom. With that said, it was never one particular lift where I can say I noticed it. It just slowly crept in. It became a problem one time when I didn't want to come out of the hole of a squat with a weight far below 90% of my 1RM. The tightness and discomfort was too much that I figured it was a bad idea to move forward.

How am I trying to work around it?
As mentioned, this was not just limiting squats, but bench also. I did not want to cut out both lifts. I found that I could do high box squats (squatting onto my Rogue bench a couple inches above parallel) did not cause any pain. I've used this movement before as it's good for overloading my squat. I've found I can 5RM my regular 1RM squat. For bench, I decided to do feet up bench. I actually lay another bench perpendicular across my regular bench and have my feet rest on it.

Is it getting better?
Yes, slowly. The other day I was going to try a normal squat workout. I actually found that I had zero discomfort with squats far below parallel. I did pause squats and pause front squats well below parallel. My mobility has always enabled me to go deep, but I generally cut off squats a bit past parallel as going that deep doesn't help at all from a numbers perspective. I also did pause benches the other day setting up with leg drive. I did notice a bit more discomfort after both the squat and pause bench workout, so I'm at the point where I'll probably alternate days and still use the high box squats and feet up bench.

How bad will my squat and bench suffer?
This is what I'm most curious about. I think my bench might actually improve. I went fairly heavy on my first pause bench workout back, and it felt good. I remember Dan Green saying how much his bench improved after his knee surgery where he had to bench with his feet up. One of his big tips is to try to work on not relying on leg drive and just getting stronger. With squats, it will be interesting. I'm getting fairly comfortable with weight higher than my 1RM on my back. On the flip side, the pause squats way below parallel aren't even at 75% of my 1RM, so my positioning in the hole with heavy weight is going to be foreign.

Stretches, etc.
So I've read a bit on this, and there are a few stretches that they talk about. Honestly, none have really helped. They do help for a warmup though.

i got a so called hip impingement, meaning my pelvis is a little bit deformed and it scratched down the cartilage over the years while working manual jobs and working out. i have heard a clicking noise while walking for about a month, went to the doc and they said i got osteoarthritis. never had any sort of pain until it was too late. if you can diagnose this in an early stage, the docs can correct your femur endoscopically sometimes. maybe you wanna get x-rays? is this the same condition?

get well

i got a so called hip impingement, meaning my pelvis is a little bit deformed and it scratched down the cartilage over the years while working manual jobs and working out. i have heard a clicking noise while walking for about a month, went to the doc and they said i got osteoarthritis. never had any sort of pain until it was too late. if you can diagnose this in an early stage, the docs can correct your femur endoscopically sometimes. maybe you wanna get x-rays? is this the same condition?

get well

I don't feel a click or anything like that. It's something that I just developed recently. I'm going to do a checkup here soon, so I'll run it by him.

Have you done much training in the frontal and transverse planes ?

Ive noticed that alot of lifters lose the ability to use their hips in any way except squatting and walking.

Static stretching usually doesnt solve anything so Im not surprised it didnt help much.

What you can try is to use more of an active mobility approach.
Try something like this on a daily basis..
Then after a few weeks start adding resistance in the form of ankle weighs or something..

I've tried a few different type of stretches. I'll try those out. I'll tell you that my warmup is much longer now!

Quick Update: I pause benched on Sunday and then squatted on Monday. I worked up to a heavy single on pause bench with my normal setup. I didn't have much discomfort, and my strength was actually not really affected by not working on pause bench. I really think there is going to be good value to the feet up bench like Dan Green mentioned.

On squats, I did beltless pause squats as deep as I can go. I feel zero discomfort or tightness on these. I was working doubles, and it's at only about 80% of what I'd use for working set of doubles normally. Going that deep with a pause while beltless definitely zaps me. I then followed up with high box squats for sets of 8. The weight I'm doing on those is actually around the weight I'd use for doubles on normal squats. I finished with a top set of beltless pause front squats. I'm really curious as to how my first squat session back will feel and if my numbers will have suffered a lot.

This morning (Tuesday) I woke up with a little bit of discomfort in the hip area. I'll probably bench with my feet up on Thursday and see how I feel.

I'm still doing a lot of the same and working back in normal squats. A typical squat day looks like this:
2 working sets of beltless paused squats really deep
2 working sets of normal range of motion squats
2 working sets of high box squat
2 working sets of beltless paused front squats deep

The discomfort is still there, but it's slight. I definitely feel it more on the regular squat sets. There is something about cutting the squat below parallel, but not all the way near ass to grass that aggravates it. I don't really feel it at all on the box squats.

Bench is the same. Still mixing paused with feet up.

Had something similar and this one little thing helped alot. Lay prone on a foam roller at the tippy top of your leg where it meets the hip, internally rotate (was epiphany for me) and just flex and extend at the knee trying to activate the fuck out of all those muscles at the hip. Tfl rf and sartoriys.

Turns out I had a very inactive sartorius. I'm in the process of drilling it now. I'm still in the cognitive phase of learning so I lose tension if I don't concentrate. But it feels great and super comfortable. I know internal rotation seems counter to the push out cue but give it a shot.

Also the pinch means super tightness so concentrate on your hammy pulling your quad if that makes sense? with those muscles active against the roller. I like using a band for the tension. Hold it over my shoulder like I'm carrying a hobo stick and the other side on my foot. Keep your adductors tight and focus on how the hammy portion works during flexion. One thing that really helped me is really concentrating on squeezing the upper part of hamstrings where glute maximus runs over them. Turns out I wasn't using them correctly which should've been apparent because their direct antagonist was fucked up. Oh well hindsight 20/20. I really like band bird dogs as well.

Another quick update. I've had a few days without any discomfort. I'm now waking up earlier than normal and doing about 20 minutes of warmup (light heavy bag work so far - will jog when it gets warmer), followed by 30-45 minutes of stretching with my coffee. I'm not sure if this is what is doing the trick or if it was just coincidence. I'm actually still doing the deep beltless pause squats and high box squats. I figure I'll just slowly bring back in normal squats. Same with the feet up bench. I'm liking having the variation anyhow.

At this point, my bench is stronger than ever. I'm really going to attribute that to working with the feet up. I was skeptical when I heard Dan Green talking about it being one of the best things to transfer over to your bench, but it's working out great. Squats will likely have a loss in strength, although I have noticed that I'm probably more comfortable going at higher weights beltless.

Oblivian, I had the same issue when returning to squatting last year after rehabbing my back. It was also causing a hip shift on the concentric as well due to the pain.

I reached out to Jon Byrd of 10/20 and after discussion he designed this circuit, attached below, that I do before I squat and pull. Also squat university on IG has a treasure trove of information regarding addressing any and all squatting problems.
E4EFC3BB-38B2-4427-9E04-88910C03B7C3.png

Update

The hip pinch is mostly gone. I stretch every weekday morning for about 30 minutes. I'm still doing the deep beltless paused squats mixed in with regular squats, high box, and deep beltless front squats. No surprise, but my squat has weakened quite a bit. I was doing singles yesterday with a weight that I could do for 5 reps, and they were not very easy. I do feel much stronger at beltless work though.

I got the dreaded hip pinch from low bar squatting, on my right side only, and it basically never went away. (Literally nothing other than at or below parallel squatting bothered it). I tried taking months off, lots of stretching, foam rolling, reading up on what other people do on the Internet.... nothing. So I switched to high bar and it mostly disappeared, plus I realized that high bar makes more sense for my general strength goals. That's my story with hip pinch anyways.

It's weird, it was basically this one relatively small muscle band right where my hip and groin meet. Like .02% of my body surface

I got the dreaded hip pinch from low bar squatting, on my right side only, and it basically never went away. (Literally nothing other than at or below parallel squatting bothered it). I tried taking months off, lots of stretching, foam rolling, reading up on what other people do on the Internet.... nothing. So I switched to high bar and it mostly disappeared, plus I realized that high bar makes more sense for my general strength goals. That's my story with hip pinch anyways.

It's weird, it was basically this one relatively small muscle band right where my hip and groin meet. Like .02% of my body surface

Same side and everything for me. It sounds exactly like what I'm going through.

I did a beltless session the other day with pretty low weight. Around 75% of my best 1RM beltless for 10 doubles. I have a set up almost between low and high bar. I was dunking these with rebound though since the weight was so light. I didn't really feel any discomfort. It was my first squat session in a long time where I wasn't doing the deep paused or high box. I'm skeptical though about where I'm at if I were to do a heavier session.

@Oblivian did you ever settle on one specific thing that helped your hip pinch? It's very minor now that I only do high bar squats- but, when I squat and then go to Muay Thai in the same week, my hip gets a little cranky. It's really not that bad, but I don't want it to get any worse.....

Just Googling around, a lot of the advice online says actually stretching doesn't help that much, but hip flexor-specific strengthening exercises do. Like the clamshell whatever routine that one guy posted above. Seems like yours kinda just got better on its own?

@Oblivian did you ever settle on one specific thing that helped your hip pinch? It's very minor now that I only do high bar squats- but, when I squat and then go to Muay Thai in the same week, my hip gets a little cranky. It's really not that bad, but I don't want it to get any worse.....

Just Googling around, a lot of the advice online says actually stretching doesn't help that much, but hip flexor-specific strengthening exercises do. Like the clamshell whatever routine that one guy posted above. Seems like yours kinda just got better on its own?

Essentially I avoided things that aggravated it. Honestly, it was heavy squats that I cut off right below parallel. Also, clean and jerks may have aggravated it. As mentioned in this thread, I used deep paused squats for a while as I felt zero discomfort on those. I slowly worked back in regular squats, although they were lighter and beltless. I'm back to normal squats now, although I do rotate in deep paused squat days. I did clean and jerks again today and it was fine.

I'm still stretching every morning too. I'm still not positive on the cause either. Basically I just avoided the things that aggravated it and also really worked on making sure I was very warmed up. Mobility and GPP were prioritized as well.

So going below parallel was likely the issue. Alright, I'll mess around with it and see what happens. Thanks

So going below parallel was likely the issue. Alright, I'll mess around with it and see what happens. Thanks

Not exactly. My full range of motion is well below parallel. If I were to put a light weight on the bar and just divebomb into a squat, it's going to be several inches below parallel. If I'm doing a paused squat, it's going to be super deep. I've just always had the mobility to go low. When chasing #'s or moving up to HW, I would cut my squat off just below parallel. It helped me move weight better and I was still hitting below legal depth. With that said, I don't get much or any rebound there. It was the sop of the descent and starting the ascent at the artificial spot that hurt. I could actually squat super deep without any pain. I could do high box squats with no pain. But if I tried to do the squat right below parallel, it hut.

It also hurt on setting up for bench. If I'm trying to get really tight and arch, I'd get the hip pinch.

Stop practicing subpar excercice modalities and Injurying and re injuring yourself.

Go over to Functional Patterns, better yet find a good FP practitioner and actually fix your body for good.

#Truth

3/10 attempt to rustle some jimmies. You didn't even try, bro.

<DisgustingHHH>

100% Serious bro. Yes I don't fully agree with everything FP teaches. I still feel other modalities and practices have merritt including heavy lifting as well... However I got more in terms of performance and definitely general well being from FP then any of the stuff most on here preach.

How your joints doing bro? Let's see a picture of your spine

I did fictional patterns for 69 weeks and my spine was compressed by 420 millimeters and I lost all of my hair. I now resemble a Mexican Smeagol, my squat form is terrible, and all I'm qualified to do is peddle misinformation.

I sure got good at doing whirlybirds and McTwists on that bosu ball though.

100% Serious bro. Yes I don't fully agree with everything FP teaches. I still feel other modalities and practices have merritt including heavy lifting as well... However I got more in terms of performance and definitely general well being from FP then any of the stuff most on here preach.

How your joints doing bro? Let's see a picture of your spine

Please tell me about these other modalities with merritt. Before we get into that, please tell me wtf merritt is.

Merrit in this case means usefulness. Usefulness means something is useful.

What I am saying has merrit is:
Mobility drills
Range of motion work
Targeting/isolating specific muscles and areas of the body and stretching, massaging and/or strengthening them as needed
Working on posture and postural muscles
Working stabelzers
Heavy lifting
Sport specific training
I could go on and on

I dont even like Naudi Aguilar but if you have an open mind and look into the work they are doing and you start to experiment you find out pretty quick they are onto something.

I dont agree his way is the only way

Ofcourse that is hard for many because doing myofacial realease and being extremely mindful of what muscles and facial trains you are using during a movement as well as your posture amounng a number of other things requires a level of mindfulness and concentration not everyone is capable of mustering up.

You sound very educated talking about merrit and stabelzers.

Back