Working off being sprawled on

From underneath a sprawl you have a couple options:

If your shot is deep enough that you still have a good hold of the legs, you can pull in while continuing to drive forward. Merely trying to pull the legs in will not do as your opponents hips are always stronger than your arms.

You could switch the double to a single leg and turn the corner: popping your head up and using it to drive your opponent away horizontally from your current position.

If your opponent has draped his arms over or is holding overhooks, you can pull a move known as a "peak" in wrestling. Essentially, you abandon your grips on the legs, duck under your opponent and spin around into back control. (A video would do it more justice).

Also, reshooting is an option. Drive your hips back underneath yourself and "reshoot" the takedown from a closer position.

But, sometimes the best option is to abandon the takedown and work your way back to the feet.

Get your hips under you. After that there are tons of options, but if you don't get your hips under you it won't matter. A lot of people forget that and wonder why they can never get a takedown from that position.

Excelent thread. As a bjj guy, my game from there has always been to defend from the choke, wait till they try to take my back or pull guard. Or if I'm lucky enough to have good grips, pull to half guard, and back into the single from there.

That being said, I have strong hips, and I know as a fact, I can pull off the cut-the-corner and hook the leg takedown as shown in that one picture. Its kind of what I've tried to do before but without the proper technique.

Thanks for the resources. =D

Back