Working off being sprawled on

YuHin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lets say you are going for a double leg or single leg, and you get fully sprawled on. As an amateur, I seem to always want to pursue the take down by holding the legs, which I cannot pull the leg in enough to complete the take down, and cannot find myself to standing back up as it risks landing in a more disadvantageous position or getting submitted.

any words of advice? techniques or strategies?
please and thank you
-YuHin

I once broke my finger trying to double leg a guy. Since then I've been a bit shook up :(

Stand up and clinch or seperate, you have a better chance on your feet than you would under your opponent like that. It doesnt take much for a experienced wrestler to take your back from a sprawl, and thats not a good position. As you come up throw some body shots, make sure if you seperate to throw some strikes.

Remember to practice your shooting, its way overlooked. Don't just shoot out of the blue also, try throwing a combo, then come back in with your shot and faux jab, they'll be looking for the jab, hands high, legs vulnerable :icon_chee

thank you very much! however, i was wondering if these would be able to be applied, or if there were other words of advice if the opposition were to push your head towards his middle and has his hips down to the mat in an absolute full sprawl.

If ever he is fully sprawled and you're fully extended. Pick a side and, clockwise or counter, rotate your hips and legs and find an angle so that you are now driving him to the side instead of trying to drive him straight back over his base/sprawl. I don't know if that makes any sense...I need a picture...from either direction just get your legs closer to his so that you can cut a better angle or hook his leg with yours and continue improving your position.

instead of holding on behind the knee, reach further and grab an ankle. turn the corner and step over it.

or

hook an elbow and sit out, HARD

If ever he is fully sprawled and you're fully extended. Pick a side and, clockwise or counter, rotate your hips and legs and find an angle so that you are now driving him to the side instead of trying to drive him straight back over his base/sprawl. I don't know if that makes any sense...I need a picture...from either direction just get your legs closer to his so that you can cut a better angle or hook his leg with yours and continue improving your position.

I understand the concept of trying to drive him to the side instead of driving towards the base of the sprawl, but i cannot picture what you mean by picking a side and clockwise or counter, rotating your hips and legs.

sounds like a great idea though!

Lets say you are going for a double leg or single leg, and you get fully sprawled on. As an amateur, I seem to always want to pursue the take down by holding the legs, which I cannot pull the leg in enough to complete the take down, and cannot find myself to standing back up as it risks landing in a more disadvantageous position or getting submitted.

any words of advice? techniques or strategies?
please and thank you
-YuHin

The problem here is there are about 8 or so distinctly different techniques that I know of for a situation like this. All of which will work with the correct technique. The best ones to use on a wrestler are the least taught. Every high school wrestler knows to spin around and hook the back leg, which means they also know a defense for it. The more technical the technique, the more often it seems to work on a wrestler as long as you use the proper technique. I have explained my favorite technique in another similar thread.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/single-leg-your-knees-1343395/

Stand up and clinch or seperate, you have a better chance on your feet than you would under your opponent like that. It doesnt take much for a experienced wrestler to take your back from a sprawl, and thats not a good position. As you come up throw some body shots, make sure if you seperate to throw some strikes.

I disagree, I loved being in this position for two reasons, in wrestling it meant that i wasn't going to get hit for stalling, and I could finish a take down roughly 50% of the time against solid wrestlers. If one of my techniques did not work, i'd go for another.

I like to step up on the underhook side, sit through to half guard and sweep.

*Ducks as people throw their wrestling shoes*

Wrestling shoes are too hard to get off to throw, its more likely that we'd throw headgear. lol

Sort of off topic, but the other week I had gone for a single leg and was sprawled on, I ended up doing some sort of a forward roll (was just training so I was messing around and expirementing) and ended up forward rolling directly into position to triangle the guy sprawled on me.

Anyone have any clue how that happened? I tried recreating the position but just couldn't figure out what exactly went on.

Was a f'n sweet move though.

don't be ashamed. i'm a buttscooter and i approve this method.

*not that i would ever actually shoot, but fom turtle or something.

:D

From the sprawl position it's best to attack in combos to upset the guy's balance on top of you. Get the guy thinking you are gonna go one way and circle another and dump, or high-crotch him and shuck him like you are trying to get behind and then come up with the single (my fav, easy to upset their balance from this position). You could also try to reshoot deeper and try to get under them (head between legs) and lift, circle, and dump from there, although I don't recommend this with the gi and he can get a good grip on you to prevent this or even get behind you.

By far the best thing you do is try to improve your shot so he can't sprawl fully on you. Reasons he is sprawling fully include: shooting from too far away, telegraphing your shot, or not being quick enough on the penetration step (or not going deep enough).

Not sure if its been posted before and really dont know if it has a name(sure it does - I just dont know it)

From the sit out position, instead of throwing that elbow back to creat space, I loop that arm, above the elbow, keep it tight to my body. Switch my head to the OPPOSITE side of the body and knee slide through the knees of my opp, sweep comes, end up in side control, poss straight armbar.

Lovely move, do it loads

Lots of options, as you can see from all the responses here. Re-shoot and switch off to a single, sit-out/peek-out, pull guard, etc. But before you do any of these make sure you are protecting your neck so you don't get guillotined or anaconda-choked!

[YT]3cc7tyjGLx0[/YT]

Not exactly off a failed double and sprawl but perhaps you can make adjustments to pull of this counter.

Back