working hard to maintain position or going with the flow?

The concept of JJ is to not resist force with force as you will break.

Something about the marple tree which is flexible enough to not break against the snow but the oak tree which branches break to the snow pressure because they are not flexible enough.

let look at side control.

some guys will just spent a huge amount of energy pinning the guy into side control. wrong = force

some guys will not resist the guy shripping back into guard or bridging out into turtle: going with the flow = wrong.

as soonest he moves, go to another dominant position: KOB, mount or even jump to the side side and get another side control or even better get his back. BETTER

Cool, thanks for the insight man... I'm just getting to the point where I realize exactly how much I don't know about BJJ. It's one of those rare occasions where you're excited and a bit overwhelmed at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how things progress over the next few years.

I secure the position first to ride out uke's first wave of resistance. When I feel comfortable enough to work submissions, that's when I loosen up and take what uke gives me. But unfortunately, I'm not yet proficient in my submissions and its at that point where I'll sometimes lose position.

Back