working hard to maintain position or going with the flow?

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just like the title states...

When you're rolling and you get a dominant position, do you try to make sure you keep the position or do you stay more relaxed and just kind of flow with your partner.

Typically if I get a dominant position I try everything in my power to keep it but I'm starting to think that I should concentrate less on maintaining that position and try to flow with a lot of transitions while I'm rolling. Thoughts or advice?

I prefer staying mobile. That way you work your transitions and timing, so you'll know better when and where to move or when to lock them down.

I am assuming you are referring to training and not competing. If you are weak at maintaining dominance, then I would urge you to work on maintaining your position. If you are weak in your transitions, let him/her sweep you and see where you can go from there.

I'd rather flow from position to position... till I reach the back or the mount. Then I'm all about keeping position and working the sub, I switch to something else only when I see that I'm about to lose position from one of this two.

It seems like holding a dominant position for as long as possible is flowing as long as you're not muscling anything or stalling. If someone is trapped in a dominant position it's their job to keep the roll "flowing" by properly escaping a tight top control. I could be wrong but my idea of flowing isn't this graceful ground fighting ballet but instead pushing the action of a roll and keeping relaxed but still assertive.

I'd say Red Harvest has the smartest replay so far. If you are in training than you should focus on the weak areas of your game. If you are competing than you should stick with the strongest.

I'd think there is a natural progression from maintaining position and then learning to be light and fast and go with the flow. Meaning as a beginner you should be more concerned with maintaining position and once you think you are good at it you can play at going with the flow, which requires more skill and body awareness than maintaining position

kind of depends on whom i'm rolling with/what i'm training for. if it's a new guy and he needs to learn to escape, as long as he does it properly, i'll flow. same if it's just a normal class. if i'm getting ready for a comp/fight, or helping someone get ready, i'm fighting tooth and nail to maintain everything i can at all costs.

i prefer going with the flow just cuz its more condusive to longevity for me. i can play smash and control but its not my favorite thing to do

It depends where your weakness lies. If you have trouble maintaining position I would suggest trying to maintain but if you have trouble once a guy have reversed you I would suggest trying to go with the flow so that you know what to do once this happens.

Very helpful guys... I'm thinking I need to just have a nice balance between the two factoring in who I'm training with and what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks again for the feedback.

As a skinny guy I get a lot more out trying to maintain control than going with the flow.

I try to flow between positions as fluidly as I can, except when my opponent is in guard and I am trying to pass and resist getting swept. In that case I will insist on keeping the posture and position that I want and trying to control my opponent's legs until he opens himself up for a pass.

Just like the title states...

When you're rolling and you get a dominant position, do you try to make sure you keep the position or do you stay more relaxed and just kind of flow with your partner.

Typically if I get a dominant position I try everything in my power to keep it but I'm starting to think that I should concentrate less on maintaining that position and try to flow with a lot of transitions while I'm rolling. Thoughts or advice?

I do neither.

No point wasting energy to keep a position and no point being so relaxed that you are letting uke dictate the flow.

You've got to be able to do both. Look at purple belt finals from the mundials recently... the guys with a great top game dominated.

How would you describe the way that you roll?

The concept of JJ is to not resist force with force as you will break.

Something about the marple tree which is flexible enough to not break against the snow but the oak tree which branches break to the snow pressure because they are not flexible enough.

let look at side control.

some guys will just spent a huge amount of energy pinning the guy into side control. wrong = force

some guys will not resist the guy shripping back into guard or bridging out into turtle: going with the flow = wrong.

as soonest he moves, go to another dominant position: KOB, mount or even jump to the side side and get another side control or even better get his back. BETTER

i tend to go with the flow, but I think I need to start working more position and always spar like its a tournament or work on certain positions/submissions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back