Woodley/Lawler 2016 UFC; still bad boxing fundamentals

fuzzy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Love both of these fighters. It was disappointing seeing Lawler in there flat footed against Woodley who has fucking lightning bolt KO ability. What was Lawler's plan here? Slip 'n walk through Woodley's attacks like he's J. Hendricks? Lawler should have been on his toes here.

Thoughts?

Robbie was moving much more than he ever has, you serious? LoL T-Wood is just pure fast twitch muscle fiber and cut the distance instantly.

All you need in MMA striking is a good over hand right, its hilariously terrible.

It's hard to explain. Sometimes in certain situations, MMA square stance is a very bad idea. This was one of them.

Over hand rights work because of MMA stance in this situation.

Woodley cut the right exit of Lawler in that exchange by using the cage and stepping left. Woodley then feinted with his left. Lawler responded to the feint by leaning away and moving to his left. He moved directly into that sweeping right's path and it caught him right on the beak.

Bashing MMA fighters boxing used to be a regular thang but it's dried up in recent years. It does need to make a comeback IMO

I know it's MMA and you can't expect everyone to be good at everything but the most skilled MMA fighter of all time, Jose Aldo, was just KTFO'd in less than 30 seconds in the biggest fight of his career in a fashion that would make a boxing journeyman kill himself out of pure shame.

He probably should have blocked that punch instead of getting knocked out

Love both of these fighters. It was disappointing seeing Lawler in there flat footed against Woodley who has fucking lightning bolt KO ability. What was Lawler's plan here? Slip 'n walk through Woodley's attacks like he's J. Hendricks? Lawler should have been on his toes here.

Thoughts?

You're right. and when it come to betting I always look for the guys with good boxing or good boxing defense. Problem is, there not many of them out there. it's just so bad it's not even funny. Who are some of the fighters that you think have good boxing fundamentals.

Ya well its not boxing. and robbie is clearly scared of getting taken down.

Boxing fundamentals would get you leg-kicked to death and/or taken down at will.

Boxing fundamentals are shit in MMA.

You're right. and when it come to betting I always look for the guys with good boxing or good boxing defense. Problem is, there not many of them out there. it's just so bad it's not even funny. Who are some of the fighters that you think have good boxing fundamentals.

Gus, Diaz brothers... Off the top of my head

Boxing fundamentals would get you leg-kicked to death and/or taken down at will.

Getting Knocked the fuck out is even shitter....

boxing is just a small aspect of MMA

Any high profile boxers from boxing will get taken down and get finished immediately and the second they focus too much on stopping the take down they will get KO'd

Gus and the Diaz brothers have good boxing defence? they all block a ton of shots with their face.

Who do you consider to have good boxing or good boxing defense? I need this info goddammit

I remember a few months ago some poster telling me Sergey Kovalev wouldn't send Lawler straight to hell in a purely striking setting.

There is I think an issue at WW especially that the striking in the division was mostly VERY poor(and those who werent poor often had less than great takedown defence) during the 00's and early 10's, its improved since but that improvement has gotten it a ton of hype when outside of Thompson I still don't think its of the very top draw in MMA.

Dominick Cruz studied boxing footwork and has become virtually unhittable.

Getting Knocked the fuck out is even shitter....

MMA is a "pick your poison" kind of sport. You gotta be dynamic to succeed. Boxing fundamentals are about as valuable as wrestling fundamentals--and wrestling fundamentals will get you kneed the fuck out, kicked find fuck out, and guillotined the fuck out.

MMA is not boxing.

Back