Wonderboy: Robbie Lawler just wasn’t there

It seems like that performance got Wonderboy nervous. He's trying to convince himself that the result of the fight was due to Robbie being off than Tyron just being the better fighter
Yeah that's why Stephen is campaigning hard for the shot.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/1...robbie-lawler-just-wasn-t-there-in-ko-loss-to

Agreed, Tyron reminds me of a prime Hendricks with his explosive first punch. I think Robbie backed up because he was afraid of Tyron's early power but ended up giving him room to use that very same power. Thompson is also similar to Machida in that they sometime defend themselves by unexpectedly moving forward and messing up the opponent's timing.

I thought that Lawler would try to take Woodley into the later rounds to wear him down. He never go the chance. In the post fight he stated one of a few things he could have done differently. His biggest mistake was putting both his hands out when Woodley feinted the right hand. He admitted that, I think that right there is proof positive he was concerned about the right hand early on. Anyone would be, it was just Woodley's night, he capitalized on an opening he created and was able to get it done. These two will go again in the future I am sure of it.

I will say Robbie usually sings the words to his walkout song. This time he did not he just practiced a breathing the technique over and over. While this isn't proof of anything, it is and indication of a deviation from his typical routine.

On aside more to the thread, Woodley will freeze when help to the outside and is a completely different fighter when forced to fight from edge of the cage. If you allow yourself to be backed up to he cage again Tyron you're done. It allows him to control the distance and engage his wrestling,
thus making his standup that much more effective because of the threat of the take down.

Last edited:
yeah, robbie seemed bored during the walkout, you can see it in his eyes during the walkout.

yeah, robbie seemed bored during the walkout, you can see it in his eyes during the walkout.
He seemed extra nervous to me. They trained a bit together so maybe Robbie knew what was about to happen

SpitefulTenseAntlion.gif

"styled all over"

200w.gif

Totally styled

His biggest mistake was putting both his hands out when Woodley feinted the right hand. He admitted that, I think that right there is proof positive he was concerned about the right hand early on.

if you go up to an untrained person and feint on him he will automatically put both his hands out. It's an untrained instinct. Or if you just woke up in the morning going to the bathroom and I jumped out and feinted on you, you would put both hands out too.

Trained fighters have trained reactions to scenarios but some times when it's too fast or when they're under stress, they revert back to their untrained instincts. That doesn't mean he wasn't concerned about Woodley's early power. He was tentative the whole fight.

You guys making excuses for wonderboy but when tyron lost to a juiced up nate marquart in (2011) you are quick to put up gifs of him getting knocked out.

It's pretty crazy that Robbie fell for Tyron's main weapon that early in the fight. You'd think he'd he looking for nothing but the overhand right for the first 5 minutes. If you look at woodleys record he's never kod anyone after the 1st round.

He was there and got ktfo.

Robbie even gave props for woodley capitalizing on his mistake. It wasn't a lucky punch there never is. Why can't the rest of sherdog give props to woodley for taking advatage of that opening? You can get ktfo if you zig when you should've zagged, its the beauty of mma.

Yes there are lucky punches (or should I say lucky results from punches) but this isn't one of them...

He was there, if he had actually thrown something apart from just staring then he would have probably won too. its whoever can land the first overhand right in 1st round wins these days in these title fights.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/1...robbie-lawler-just-wasn-t-there-in-ko-loss-to

Agreed, Tyron reminds me of a prime Hendricks with his explosive first punch. I think Robbie backed up because he was afraid of Tyron's early power but ended up giving him room to use that very same power. Thompson is also similar to Machida in that they sometime defend themselves by unexpectedly moving forward and messing up the opponent's timing.
Woodley had THAT LOOK IN HIS EYES.

serious.jpg

The fight didn't go long enough for us to see what Robbie was or wasn't, besides unconscious.

Felt the same way about Robbie. He came in off. Not an excuse.

I actually had that impression of lawler even at the weigh-ins, and even moreso when he stepped into the octagon. I didn't mention it, though, because I didn't want to seem like a sherdog psychologist. It doesn't matter as I picked woodley either way. Had I known that woodley was going to duck the entire top ten of his division, I would have preferred Lawler to have won.

Well, yea. He got froze by a feint and then blasted. Nobody who get's frozen by a setup is "there". They're lost.

Back