Women's BW division clearly does not matter to the UFC

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Dana and company clearly does not care about any BW not named Ronda Rousey. I wanted to list some examples. I know this has been discussed. I just find it extremely annoying when there is clear bias for one person over others.

I'm not a Rousey hater or lover but I would like to see a division with good fights and contenders instead of the crap that we are given.

1. The BWs are not fighting enough.

If Rousey/Tate 3 happens in December, then those two will be the only BWs with more than 2 fights this year. (Barring someone fighting twice in the next 4 months). Maybe Holm, Andrade and/or Nunes will make the list as well.

2. The UFC rankings make no sense.

#2 Zingano has only fought 3 times in the UFC and had a year and half absence.
#4 McMann is 2-3.
#5 Kaufman is 1-1-1 in the UFC. Why is she ranked so highly with only 1 win in the UFC?
#6 Correia but we know that is silly.
#6 Eye has only 1 win as well but being generous she would have 2 wins if she didn't pop for weed.
#9 Carmouche is 2-3.
#11 Pena shouldn't be ranked at all after an almost 2 year absence.

3. Not enough BWs under contract.
There are 27 listed female BWs but at least 4 aren't currently fighting for the UFC and 2 do not even fight at the 135 weight-class.

Last edited:
What an impressive talent pool! What an amazing champion this Ronda Rousey is dominating the best of the best in such a deep talent pool.

The WBW division doesn't matter to the UFC because the WBW is a joke, including its champion, albeit a $$$ making one. Deal with it and just enjoy the entertainment of swift can crushing action.

Dana and company clearly does not care about any BW not named Ronda Rousey. I wanted to list some examples. I know this has been discussed. I just find it extremely annoying when there is clear bias for one person over others.

I'm not a Rousey hater or lover but I would like to see a division with good fights and contenders instead of the crap that we are given.

1. The BWs are not fighting enough.

If Rousey/Tate 3 happens in December, then those two will be the only BWs with more than 2 fights this year. (Barring someone fighting twice in the next 4 months). Maybe Holm, Andrade and/or Nunes will make the list as well.

2. The UFC rankings make no sense.

#2 Zingano has only fought 3 times in the UFC and had a year and half absence.
#4 McMann is 2-3.
#5 Kaufman is 1-1-1 in the UFC. Why is she ranked so highlt wity only 1 win in the UFC?
#6 Correia but we know that is silly.
#6 Eye has only 1 win as well but being generous she would have 2 wins if she didn't pop for weed.
#9 Carmouche is 2-3.
#11 Pena shouldn't be ranked at all after an almost 2 year absence.

3. Not enough BWs under contract.
There are 27 listed female BWs but at least 4 aren't currently fighting for the UFC and 2 do not even fight at the 135 weight-class.

If those rankings don't make sense then who do you suggest replace them?

Mcmann was ranked 4 on a 5 fight losing streak against real 135 fighters. She beat Gaff who is 125 lb fighter and lost to Murphy and Baszler but the judges were blind.

Oh and Mcmann was a 3/1 favorite over Nunes

The talent pool is razor thin, everyone knows this. There WILL come a time when even the most diehard RR fan will have to choke down that raw truth, and even the media won't be able to spin Ronda's 5th rematch as remotely competitive. Hell, the language most of the media used to describe Bethe's chances in the last fight was heartbreakingly brutal, half of the "analysis" of the fight sounded like wounded Sherdog posters trying to crush someone's soul.

How many years since the start of the Women UFC divisions and how many years since the start of the Men one?

Last edited:
If Rousey wasn't around I doubt they would still carry the division tbh. Since the arrival of 115 I think it has shown the true potential that women fighters have, 135 just isn't at that level.

How many years since the start of the Women UFC divisions and how many years since the start of the Man one?

how bout this... how many years since the start of men's mma and how many years since the start of women's mma?

If Carano had beat Cyborg and continued her win streak, I'm sure the UFC would have a WFW division too.

how bout this... how many years since the start of men's mma and how many years since the start of women's mma?

Depends on where you define the "start." Regardless, women are always going to have a smaller talent pool than men in MMA for all sorts of reasons.

Generic parrot line from a striking biased, too stupid to understand basic physics and physiology and/or Ronda hating hypocrite

Preach it, brother. After all Tecia's last fight was amazingly exciting and awesome, Jojo has proven every bit worthy of her hype, Esparza, Penne and Rose looked great in their last fights, JAG proved it really isn't a 2 woman division, etc...

'B-but Joanna... her opponents not being able to defend punches means she is so insanely skilled... but Ronda's opponents not being able to defend armbars means they suck...'

Nunes and Tate's recent performances were clearly more impressive than any non-champ SW's recent ones outside MAYBE Moroz subbing Calderwood, BTW.

Last edited:
There are 30 ranked females BW's. There are over 400 ranked male BW's. Why do you think the UFC capped the heaviest female weight at 135lb? Because thats around the limit a woman can weigh while still selling sex.

Why do you think Dana said that women shouldn't be fighting and is now saying that Ronda is the greatest athlete ever? Do you think he really believe it? No. It's marketing. The whole division is about marketing. Once Ronda is gone the division is gone. It will still exist but there will be even less fighters and even lower numbers of fights.

This is a quick cash grab scam by the UFC. Could it be a financial bandaid? Who knows. Are the Fertitita's looking to cash out by milking a unsustainable division? No idea.

All I know it that it's pure marketing and the rest can be up for debate.

Depends on where you define the "start." Regardless, women are always going to have a smaller talent pool than men in MMA for all sorts of reasons.

Namely that far more men are interested in fighting for a living.

Namely that far more men are interested in fighting for a living.

Pretty much. Finding women willing to take punches to the face for a living is a really hard sell.

I'm not hating on wmma, I just think there are many other, higher paying jobs an athletic girl can do and not take a beating.

Preach it, brother. After all Tecia's last fight was amazingly exciting and awesome, Jojo has proven every bit worthy of her hype, Esparza, Penne and Rose looked great in their last fights, JAG proved it really isn't a 2 woman division, etc...

'B-but Joanna... her opponents not being able to defend punches means she is so insanely skilled... but Ronda's opponents not being able to defend armbars means they suck...'

Nunes and Tate's recent performances were clearly more impressive than any non-champ SW's recent ones outside MAYBE Moroz subbing Calderwood, BTW.

Just my opinion man, I like Rousey a lot and her fights are definitely excellent but when it comes to womens MMA I prefer 115 :)

I like

JJ
Moroz
Rose
Paige
Rhanda
Gadelha
Albu
Waterson

I get excited for all those fighter's fights, can't really name as many in 135. That's just my personal opinion though.

Dana and company clearly does not care about any BW not named Ronda Rousey.

Who are the 2 that do not fight at 135?

If they are under contract, then the UFC can keep them on the roster. Julie Kedzie retired but is still under contract.

The UFC cannot make them figtht. Unless you know of fighters that cannot get fights, I would not blame the UFC.

Last edited:
Just my opinion man, I like Rousey a lot and her fights are definitely excellent but when it comes to womens MMA I prefer 115 :)

I like

Moroz
Rose
Paige
Rhanda
Gadelha
Albu
Waterson

I get excited for all those fighter's fights, can't really name as many in 135. That's just my personal opinion though.

You can prefer it just fine but it's disingenuous to claim they are a full 'level' above 135. Gadelha the clear number 2 of SW fought to a split decision against Valerie Letourneau who was an average BW who barely squeaked by Elizabeth Phillips. Gadelha also walks around practically the same weight as Miesha Tate, if 115 was really a 'level' above you'd think she could just fight at BW, steamroll the division and become Rousey's new 'rival' to get the bigger payday in a money fight against her. :icon_lol:

If Rousey wasn't around I doubt they would still carry the division tbh. Since the arrival of 115 I think it has shown the true potential that women fighters have, 135 just isn't at that level.

Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised to see it shunted to Invicta when Ronda retires. The quality of the fighters isn't really worthy of one of them being called a UFC champion.

115lbs is different - and has real growth potential too. 135lbs hasn't really progressed and has been in the UFC since early 2013.

You can prefer it just fine but it's disingenuous to claim they are a full 'level' above 135. Gadelha the clear number 2 of SW fought to a split decision against Valerie Letourneau who was an average BW who barely squeaked by Elizabeth Phillips. Gadelha also walks around practically the same weight as Miesha Tate, if 115 was really a 'level' above you'd think she could just fight at BW, steamroll the division and become Rousey's new 'rival' to get the bigger payday in a money fight against her. :icon_lol:

Just from the fights I've seen it's on another level for me, didn't mean to get your panties in an uproar.

Back