Women's BW division clearly does not matter to the UFC

You can prefer it just fine but it's disingenuous to claim they are a full 'level' above 135. Gadelha the clear number 2 of SW fought to a split decision against Valerie Letourneau who was an average BW who barely squeaked by Elizabeth Phillips. Gadelha also walks around practically the same weight as Miesha Tate, if 115 was really a 'level' above you'd think she could just fight at BW, steamroll the division and become Rousey's new 'rival' to get the bigger payday in a money fight against her. :icon_lol:

Judging by your posts, you clearly pay a lot more attention to the WMMA divisions than most. Honest question: If Gadelha walks around at a similar weight to Tate how come Tate hasn't dropped to 115lb??

This would suggest Tate cuts no weight because 20lb is already a huge amount of water weight for a female 135lber to cut [If not almost impossible].

Dana and company clearly does not care about any BW not named Ronda Rousey. I wanted to list some examples. I know this has been discussed. I just find it extremely annoying when there is clear bias for one person over others.

I'm not a Rousey hater or lover but I would like to see a division with good fights and contenders instead of the crap that we are given.

1. The BWs are not fighting enough.

If Rousey/Tate 3 happens in December, then those two will be the only BWs with more than 2 fights this year. (Barring someone fighting twice in the next 4 months). Maybe Holm, Andrade and/or Nunes will make the list as well.

2. The UFC rankings make no sense.

#2 Zingano has only fought 3 times in the UFC and had a year and half absence.
#4 McMann is 2-3.
#5 Kaufman is 1-1-1 in the UFC. Why is she ranked so highly with only 1 win in the UFC?
#6 Correia but we know that is silly.
#6 Eye has only 1 win as well but being generous she would have 2 wins if she didn't pop for weed.
#9 Carmouche is 2-3.
#11 Pena shouldn't be ranked at all after an almost 2 year absence.

3. Not enough BWs under contract.
There are 27 listed female BWs but at least 4 aren't currently fighting for the UFC and 2 do not even fight at the 135 weight-class.

These are the chicks that won their last fight: De Randamie, Phillips, Pena, Nunes, Davis, Holms, Andrade

Im not sure Holms or her manager would accept De Randemie or Nunes.

Evan Smith was suspended

So there are some fights to make, that doesnt mean WBW dont matter, cause its not like they are putting SW fights in every card.

Nunes, Holms, Ronda and Meisha seem to be getting better, i like the way Ronda is making BW step up their game.

TS wat do think they should do match up wise? Got a better idea

You can prefer it just fine but it's disingenuous to claim they are a full 'level' above 135. Gadelha the clear number 2 of SW fought to a split decision against Valerie Letourneau who was an average BW who barely squeaked by Elizabeth Phillips. Gadelha also walks around practically the same weight as Miesha Tate, if 115 was really a 'level' above you'd think she could just fight at BW, steamroll the division and become Rousey's new 'rival' to get the bigger payday in a money fight against her. :icon_lol:

Yes Ghadela cuts from146 to 115, which is the reason i believe she needs to win inside the first 2 rounds otherwise Ghadela tends to slow down and that wont be good vs Jedi, but the first 2 rounds should be really good

Yes Ghadela cuts from146 to 115, which is the reason i believe she needs to win inside the first 2 rounds otherwise Ghadela tends to slow down and that wont be good vs Jedi, but the first 2 rounds should be really good

So Gadelha is cutting almost 21% of her body weight?? That would be like a 330lb man cutting to 260lb. That sounds unrealistic. At least 15-20 of those pounds must just be fat that she walks around with between camps

So Gadelha is cutting almost 21% of her body weight?? That would be like a 330lb man cutting to 260lb. That sounds unrealistic. At least 15-20 of those pounds must just be fat that she walks around with between camps

Judging by your posts, you clearly pay a lot more attention to the WMMA divisions than most. Honest question: If Gadelha walks around at a similar weight to Tate how come Tate hasn't dropped to 115lb??

This would suggest Tate cuts no weight because 20lb is already a huge amount of water weight for a female 135lber to cut [If not almost impossible].

Um have u seen the silicone on Meisha?? There is no way she makes 115

Ghadela from 146 and Tate from 145(a bit skeptical, but I'll take her word)

Um have u seen the silicone on Meisha?? There is no way she makes 115

Ghadela from 146 and Tate from 145(a bit skeptical, but I'll take her word)

Yeah the Ghadela numbers are bullshit. A 30lb water cut as a female starting from 145lb

Good points, and I've said this about the UFC and their treatment of the 135lb division before. Even got into a verbal argument with my friend about it. He likes to act like he knows a lot about the sport, but doesn't follow it nearly as much as me.

Just from the fights I've seen it's on another level for me, didn't mean to get your panties in an uproar.

Don't mind BigMuffler. You attacked the 135lb division, which to him is attacking Ronda by proxy, so he felt honor bound to defend it as her chief defender. His white knight avatar is well earned and deserved.

Don't mind BigMuffler. You attacked the 135lb division, which to him is attacking Ronda by proxy, so he felt honor bound to defend it as her chief defender. His white knight avatar is well earned and deserved.

I'm a big fan of Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes too if you know my post history, also like Kaufman, McMann and Cat although not as much as those two (and R3 of course).

The SW division being better is a straight up myth, BW is like the female equivalent to men's WW while SW is equivalent to a men's FW division with Conor (JJ), Mendes (Claudia), and the rest a bunch of untested prospects and a few okay veterans like Siver. Of course fights are going to be more 'unpredictable' among those prospects and okay veterans and more 'dynamic' (which is what most parrots are fooled by) at the lower weight and with the prospects' vigor and youth, that doesn't make the division better than another whose top tier consists of actual seasoned fighters. Not at all.

It takes time to build a new division.
We seen the same problem with some of the mens division.
Give it time.
Having a dominant champ like Ronda will help the division over time and will get more people interested and more females to want to compete.

you negative nancy

It's already been covered but Tate doesn't cut to 115 because most people can't/won't cut to the insane degree Gadelha does, she is basically female Anthony Johnson at WW. Also Tate is the legendary undersized hero of WBW of course. I don't think Gadelha actually cuts pure water from 146 but she has been reported to come into the cage at 140 before so it's close, I don't know how much Tate comes into the cage at but it might be less than 145 also, in any case their weight walking around is very similar and Gadelha is probably leaner at 146 than Tate at 145 - compare how ripped they are, Gadelha always has a 6 pack lol.

Gadelha could easily fight at BW if she wanted to, in fact she has fought at 130+ before and she'd be less undersized than Jessica Andrade who is 1 inch shorter and walks around at 138-139. So why not smash the inferior BW division and get that big money fight with Ronda if SW is a whole other level of skill?

PS. if anyone ever starts talking about men's BW being more skilled than LW, you can use the same argument with Barao who walks around at 170 in place of Claudia lol.

Last edited:
Dana and company clearly does not care about any BW not named Ronda Rousey. I wanted to list some examples. I know this has been discussed. I just find it extremely annoying when there is clear bias for one person over others.

I'm not a Rousey hater or lover but I would like to see a division with good fights and contenders instead of the crap that we are given.

1. The BWs are not fighting enough.

If Rousey/Tate 3 happens in December, then those two will be the only BWs with more than 2 fights this year. (Barring someone fighting twice in the next 4 months). Maybe Holm, Andrade and/or Nunes will make the list as well.

2. The UFC rankings make no sense.

#2 Zingano has only fought 3 times in the UFC and had a year and half absence.
#4 McMann is 2-3.
#5 Kaufman is 1-1-1 in the UFC. Why is she ranked so highly with only 1 win in the UFC?
#6 Correia but we know that is silly.
#6 Eye has only 1 win as well but being generous she would have 2 wins if she didn't pop for weed.
#9 Carmouche is 2-3.
#11 Pena shouldn't be ranked at all after an almost 2 year absence.

3. Not enough BWs under contract.
There are 27 listed female BWs but at least 4 aren't currently fighting for the UFC and 2 do not even fight at the 135 weight-class.

Some solid points and some less solid points... First, I agree that they pretty much don't care about the division outside of Rousey. She is, after all, the reason they brought it in. It's also true that they aren't having them fight enough. They are maximizing Rousey's earning potential by fighting her often, and keeping the division behind her by not allowing it to develop efficiently. It's all about feeding Rousey. Maybe not all of this is due to the UFC, though, I don't know. Rousey seems more game to compete often than some of the others, perhaps.

Now, for the bad: You don't rank people based on how active they've been, but by who they've beaten. Also, you are unfairly limiting your evaluation to UFC fights. The division is fairly young, especially when you consider that they don't fight as often. These women had careers fully in swing before they ever made it to the UFC. Kaufman, for instance, has a lot of good wins and was champion at one point outside of the UFC, holding the belt that is essentially the lineal belt. I do think they unfairly rank people based on the reflected glow of Rousey like Carmouche who had one good moment in an otherwise shit performance. She was a contender of convenience for Rousey's first fight in the UFC, nothing more.

Pena not only fought twice in the UFC, but three more times on TUF. She won all of those fights, and finished them all but one. Yes, she had a long layoff due to injury, but she looked good when she came back and she has shown a lot of potential and some decent intangibles like natural athleticism and gameness. Part of her ranking comes from the fact that the division is simply not that deep, as is the case with the rest of MMA. You still have to make the best, most accurate ranking you can.

Oh, and I thought Kaufman beat Eye in that split decision that got overturned.

Tate would like to fight at 125, but that division doesn't exist in the UFC. Maybe Gadelha would eventually move there as well. I think Tate walks around at like 148 now, after putting on 4-5 lbs to try to grow into her current division. She was a pretty undersized BW when she fought Rousey in the past and held the SF belt.

I don't think SW is really deeper than BW. They may be around the same, but neither is particularly deep. They are deeper than 145 and up but shallower than even men's HW (imo, the shallowest men's division above 115).

They are deeper than 145 and up but shallower than even men's HW (imo, the shallowest men's division above 115).

I would be interested to know the number of male HWs worldwide compared to LHWs, in the UFC at least the LHW division seems clearly worse now than HW especially after what we just saw from OSP, and Feijao recently being in the top 10.

Well I didn't expect so many posts. And I'm too lazy to quote so this will be random.

It has been 2 years and 5 months since the start of the UFC's WBW divison.

I do agree that if Rousey retired today that the division would not exist in the UFC anymore.

I didn't bring up the SW division because I think comparing divisions is not important. Would you say LW is better than MW so I don't watch MW. After Anderson lost the division didn't stop and the division was not rooted in Anderson being #1. If Rousey is not champ the UFC seems like it wouldn't even try.

There are plenty of matches to make and plenty of shows to go around. They cut so many BWs in a time where since June 10 there have been 10 UFC events. And the likes of Todd Duffee, Tim Boetch, Gabriel Gonzaga, Thales Leites are part of the main events.

Obviously I'm not Joe Silva or Sean Shelby so I don't know what fights are being negotiated or offered. But can anyone tell me why Cat Zingano does not have a fight lined up and Rousey has her third fight in the bag? Also Betche Correia, before UFC 190, did not fight since August 2014. AND SHE WAS RANKED #6!

I have no idea how much weight Cl

Back