Women in MMA?

mxkey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So whats the big deal? Women want to compete, why not let them? I've been reading through the forums today and the majority of people seem to be against it. But why? MMA is struggling right now against detractors who say that women aren't strong/fast/skilled/experienced enough to compete....so what? Ronda hasn't got the chance to compete precisely because the division hasn't developed enough talent to challenge her.
Maybe Ronda will lose against Liz but so what...she'll bring in more new fans than anyone.
The more fans you and I have the better. Seems like win-win to me.
How will WMMA hurt MMA, i dont know. You Tell me......

I think Women have every right to compete in MMA.

I just don't want to watch it.

Then don't.

I won't. I won't boycott a card that has women fights on it or anything, but I will go do something else and then come back after the fight is over. Probably won't buy a PPV with a women's fight on it, just because I don't want to throw down that kind of money for something I won't watch part of.

I won't. I won't boycott a card that has women fights on it or anything, but I will go do something else and then come back after the fight is over. Probably won't buy a PPV with a women's fight on it, just because I don't want to throw down that kind of money for something I won't watch part of.

I am with you.

See, that's reasonable and understandable, and an opinion I think most should respect. But the flat out hatred of women's mma on here has been getting way too extreme.

THey should probably do a female tournament like in the old ufc days. There just isn't enough woman and now UFC opened the doors more will come. It just you don't know who they are or how good they are. They should do the tournament style like the FW and the old ufc days.

because insecure men feel threatened.

What exactly is the threat?

I don't mind that WMMA exists but the spot on a PPV card could be put to much better use considering how many fans aren't interested, and are expected to pay 100% of the money for 75% of what they wanted. It seems they're junking up something people are paying money for. It's crazy when it's such a mismatch and the favorite couldn't beat anyone who'd ever been on a PPV.
Everybody knows if they had an all women's PPV they get like 12 buys so they're diluting another PPV to shoehorn a girl fight.

What exactly is the threat?

I don't mind that WMMA exists but the spot on a PPV card could be put to much better use considering how many fans aren't interested, and are expected to pay 100% of the money for 75% of what they wanted. It seems they're junking up something people are paying money for. It's crazy when it's such a mismatch and the favorite couldn't beat anyone who'd ever been on a PPV.
Everybody knows if they had an all women's PPV they get like 12 buys so they're diluting another PPV to shoehorn a girl fight.

the threat is that women will attain the same level of importance and status in society that men currently have.

I don't necessarily disagree with the argument that it should have been on a fox, fx or fuel card, and I definitely understand where you're coming from on that point. It's similar to the argument that lw's and below shouldn't headline ppvs.

Having said that, the reaction to ronda and carmouche headlining this one ppv event has gone far beyond the outrage that first erupted when lw's/fw's/bw/flw's were set to headline ppv events. I attribute that to ignorant and insecure men feeling threatened.

dont like it, and dont support it in the UFC. i wont be watching a female mma fight anytime soon.
unless leticia ribeiro starts doing MMA, Id watch a fight of hers. shes got some skills

the threat is that women will attain the same level of importance and status in society that men currently have.

I don't necessarily disagree with the argument that it should have been on a fox, fx or fuel card, and I definitely understand where you're coming from on that point. It's similar to the argument that lw's and below shouldn't headline ppvs.

Having said that, the reaction to ronda and carmouche headlining this one ppv event has gone far beyond the outrage that first erupted when lw's/fw's/bw/flw's were set to headline ppv events. I attribute that to ignorant and insecure men feeling threatened.

I really don't think there is any chance of that ever happening. There isn't any sport in the world that women started doing and become men's equal. And remember when they brought David Beckham to LA and tried to hype it up like it was a big deal? The whole country rose up in indifference. They just don't want what they don't want. I'm not furious about it or anything but I don't like being coerced into liking something and called an asshole or sexist if I don't.

I attribute that to ignorant and insecure men feeling threatened.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with. Kind of like saying guys who are for it are insecure and are vocally supporting WMMA because they want to feel more evolved and desperately connect with women. It's kinda silly.

I really don't think there is any chance of that ever happening. There isn't any sport in the world that women started doing and become men's equal. And remember when they brought David Beckham to LA and tried to hype it up like it was a big deal? The whole country rose up in indifference. They just don't want what they don't want. I'm not furious about it or anything but I don't like being coerced into liking something and called an asshole or sexist if I don't.

I don't necessarily mean that the women in sport A become perceived as the equals of the men in sport A. I meant it more generally than that. I am also not calling you personally a sexist or an asshole. You seem quite reasonable to me. What I'm saying is the level of outrage that erupted in response to ronda headlining a card is not, I don't believe, due solely to the fact that some men don't want to watch wmma.

Back