Woman accusing man of 'mansplaining' gets pawnd.

LMAO! Mansplaining is not a term I´m familiar with.

And I also did not expect that to be used in that situation. Sounds like something some angry woman would use on her blog or something.

Come on, dude. Whenever there has been reform to remove oppression, the group losing the power has made your statement ever step of the way.

There are feminists out there who are batshit crazy or completely clueless, but you can't paint the entire movement with the same brush. That's been a common propaganda technique since the invention of propaganda.

Nah. I think it's important to make the distinction between first generation feminism and what we see nowadays. They're not one and the same. I believe that the modern female who knows shes empowered wants nothing to do with the term: "feminist". Most tend to agree with Meryl Streep's perspective:

dd90dfdf1106fd25730afea2d6f3cb84.jpg

Why do they want nothing to do with it? See the video TS posted. Placating these fascists and the white knights who aid them does nothing but divide us. Hard to be equal when we're going in different directions.

I like how she acts as if he's supposed to be familiar with that term lmao.

It was apparently "Word of the Year" in Australia (where this happened), which usually should get quite the media coverage, but ... still.

and that's what my momma called 'getting a dose of her own medicine.'

It was apparently "Word of the Year" in Australia (where this happened), which usually should get quite the media coverage, but ... still.
I'm from Australia, I remember an article or two about the word but I bet it you asked people on the street, the majority of them wouldn't be familiar with it.

Aren't you even a little curious about what he said previously and if he was in fact being condescending?

She was incredibly stupid to use that word but what if she was right? Does that not matter?

How would she be right? Anyone can be a condescending asshole, regardless of the target audience. College professors (both male and female) are notorious for it. So what if that guy thought his argument was better than hers? He'd behave the same way whether she was a male or female.

You need to attack someone's argument on it's merits, not try to discredit someone by name calling. It won't work at that level because there isn't an entire institution to hide behind like there is in the education system. They are both elected officials, which means people voted them in and they represent a huge group of people. They need to be the leader, not hiding in "safe zones".

I'd be completely embarrassed if she was my elected official, trying to argue for a cause that was important to an entire community and then pulled that cope out card. It would be red flag that she knew she had been defeated and had thrown in the towel.

I wish someone would mansplain what the fuck they were bickering about, so I could decide which of them was more full of it.

I like how she can't even explain the term very well

I'm guessing she came from a previous position where she would have received a rousing ovation for pulling the man-hater card while losing a verbal debate.

That shit don't fly in the real world politics. Could you imagine a woman president/PM pull this stunt during a meeting with another countries leader.

Exactly.

Also her defense of "I'm surprised that you're shocked by the word,, it is a word that's used".... So are many very inflammatory words. in fact, all words are words that are used. WOW!

The more I watch this video, the more I find it hilarious.

Nah. I think it's important to make the distinction between first generation feminism and what we see nowadays. They're not one and the same. I believe that the modern female who knows shes empowered wants nothing to do with the term: "feminist". Most tend to agree with Meryl Streep's perspective:

dd90dfdf1106fd25730afea2d6f3cb84.jpg

Why do they want nothing to do with it? See the video TS posted. Placating these fascists and the white knights who aid them does nothing but divide us. Hard to be equal when we're going in different directions.

This is my point. These things you're saying? The people with the advantage in power have always said them. "People fighting for rights were needed once upon a time, but NOW, everything's OK so they should stop." It's easy to look back fifty years, measure how bad things were then, and say that things today are OK because relatively it looks that way.

Feminist, humanist, equalist, all these things have the same goal, it's just semantics. You posted a comforting sound bite from Streep but she's saying the same things, just more carefully.

Streep, who plays women’s rights activist Emmeline Pankhurst in a brief but noteworthy appearance, was clearer when asked by Clarke which “single thing” she would change in the film industry to make it less sexist. “Men should look at the world as if something is wrong when their voices predominate. They should feel it,” she said. “People at agencies and studios, including the parent boards, might look around the table at the decision-making level and feel something is wrong if half their participants are not women. Because our tastes are different, what we value is different. Not better, different.”

Does it sound like she thinks things are equal? At the very highest levels virtually all the power is in the hands of men. This is not equality.

So what should a humanist do when there is inequality?

I'm not really familiar with what mansplaining is, but I love her defense.

"It's a word that people use."

Well, no shit. There are a lot of other words that people use which wouldn't be tolerated in a place like that.

The precedent has well and truly been set. When a woman feels like she can't compete with a man on an intellectual level, all she has to do is claim that a man is "mansplaining". If this is going to wash at a senate level without anyone so much as batting an eyelid, then we are well and truly fooked.

Dude, it's 2016 -we've been fucked for a while

How would she be right? Anyone can be a condescending asshole, regardless of the target audience. College professors (both male and female) are notorious for it. So what if that guy thought his argument was better than hers? He'd behave the same way whether she was a male or female.

You need to attack someone's argument on it's merits, not try to discredit someone by name calling. It won't work at that level because there isn't an entire institution to hide behind like there is in the education system. They are both elected officials, which means people voted them in and they represent a huge group of people. They need to be the leader, not hiding in "safe zones".

I'd be completely embarrassed if she was my elected official, trying to argue for a cause that was important to an entire community and then pulled that cope out card. It would be red flag that she knew she had been defeated and had thrown in the towel.

So he can be condescending but she can't call him out on it? That's utterly ridiculous. Granted, she's an idiot for using that term, but that's an entirely different issue.

Apparently he had continuously stalled the discussion by stepping back and explaining the question in a way that suggested she simply did not understand. It's a tactic people use all the time, in fact I see it a hundred times a day on this forum alone. It's something people do when they don't really have a strong argument.

She dropped the ball by using that term and giving him something to focus on other than the actual argument.

They both looked pretty bad here.

Sooo if he is mansplaining is she cuntfused?

Back