Wladamir Klitchko v Dereck Chisora

While Williams is the "name" opponent on his record his two best wins are his pair of finishes against fellow UK prospect Sam Sexton (who in turn beat Martin Rogan twice... the Martin Rogan who beat Skelton and Harrison previously).

Yeah... it's not great is it?

I put my thoughts on this in another thread... it's too early for Chisora and there's better fights out there for Wlad.

Are there? That are prepared to take up the challenge?
Fuck it.. Del Boy is fearless, unbeaten, is a bit of a mover for HW and can dig. I'm pulling for him to shock the world. Its not beyond the realms of possibility.

Are there? That are prepared to take up the challenge?

Sure Haye, Adamek and Povetkin may not... but someone like Solis certainly would and I'd imagine the likes of Alexander Ustinov, Kali Meehan, Timur Ibragimov, Denis Bakhtov, Robert Helenius or Tony Thompson (although a rematch) would all have liked a chance.

Fuck it.. Del Boy is fearless, unbeaten, is a bit of a mover for HW and can dig. I'm pulling for him to shock the world. Its not beyond the realms of possibility.

Similar things could be said about virtually any of Wlad's opponents going all the way back to his loss to Brewster (with a few notable exceptions... I don't think Sultan or Rahman really came to fight). Of those only one has had anything resembling success... Calvin Brock (who had a far better record and was far more tested than Del Boy is now)... who managed to do well for 3 rounds, survive for 3 more and then get highlight reel KO'd.

Of course Chisora could win... we've already been treated to one hell of an upset recently when Burns beat Martinez... but the same thing could be said if Wlad was across the ring from Daniil Peretyatko. As it stands Del Boy's done nothing to give strength to a logical argument that this will anything but a one-sided drubbing.

Damn! Is Meehan still around? And not Thompson again, please. A couple of the guys you mentioned are unbeaten, would they risk it? It takes big Cajones, which Mr.Chisora obviously has. Plus Derek is a character and a Brit which guarantees a certain amount of business. Although efficient, I find Wlad painful to watch and have been waiting for years to see someone go after him... hopefully Del Boy is that man. Whatever the outcome he puts Haye to shame.

Sure Haye, Adamek and Povetkin may not... but someone like Solis certainly would and I'd imagine the likes of Alexander Ustinov, Kali Meehan, Timur Ibragimov, Denis Bakhtov, Robert Helenius or Tony Thompson (although a rematch) would all have liked a chance.

Solis is heading a Don King card in an eliminator vs. Ray Austin for the right to face Vitali. Meehan is pushing 40 and would really just a 'name' opponent (in the way that Rahman was) with no real value to the win since he's been very inactive and lost his last notable fight vs. Chagaev (in an eliminator). Bakhtov turned down an eliminator tournament for Wlad's belt recently (not sure the reason why). Ustinov, Ibragimov and Helenius are the only ones on the list that maybe should have gotten the chance, but honestly, none of them provide any more 'Whee!' factor than Chisora and are marginally better vic... I mean, candidates for challengers than Chisora, IMO.

I'm not a fan of the fight, but it's not like any of the guys you mentioned are materially better than Chisora.

Solis is heading a Don King card in an eliminator vs. Ray Austin for the right to face Vitali. Meehan is pushing 40 and would really just a 'name' opponent (in the way that Rahman was) with no real value to the win since he's been very inactive and lost his last notable fight vs. Chagaev (in an eliminator). Bakhtov turned down an eliminator tournament for Wlad's belt recently (not sure the reason why). Ustinov, Ibragimov and Helenius are the only ones on the list that maybe should have gotten the chance, but honestly, none of them provide any more 'Whee!' factor than Chisora and are marginally better vic... I mean, candidates for challengers than Chisora, IMO.

I'm not a fan of the fight, but it's not like any of the guys you mentioned are materially better than Chisora.

I thought that was Boytsov that turned down the eliminator?

So now we know Boystov and Dimi didn't want any part of the tournament to face Wlad ;)

Back