With the UFC updating the unifed rules, is a change to judging coming next?

nanika

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
After the new rules come into effect do you think the UFC will try to change the way fights are scored?

also, is it athletic commissions or the UFC/promoter who decides how fights are judged???

Please alert me as to the specifics of the rule changes being made

Athletic commissions have jurisdiction over everything you're talking about. And I don't see the current system changing for a long time.

After the new rules come into effect do you think the UFC will try to change the way fights are scored?

also, is it athletic commissions or the UFC/promoter who decides how fights are judged???
Those are PROPOSED changes. I didn't read anything that they will be set in stone. Maybe 1 or 2 changes or none.

are they not implementing new rules on 12-6 elbows and eye pokes?
yeah as the guy above me said, they were just testing those out in Victory FC. they may adopt all of them, may add to to them, or may go with none.
I don't really like the way the eyepoke foul is worded at the moment either. There are legitimate reasons for a guy to reach out for his opponent, if anything they should give him a warning if hes fighting in that stance and then automatically take a point if he actually pokes them in the eye even on accident

yeah as the guy above me said, they were just testing those out in Victory FC. they may adopt all of them, may add to to them, or may go with none.
I don't really like the way the eyepoke foul is worded at the moment either. There are legitimate reasons for a guy to reach out for his opponent, if anything they should give him a warning if hes fighting in that stance and then automatically take a point if he actually pokes them in the eye even on accident

I'm not sure how it's worded, but the eye poke rule currently in place is clearly being taken advantage of. Sometimes, if you're pushing off of your opponent, a finger can slip into the eye. I understand that. But so many fighters nowadays paw with their lead hand, directly toward the opponent's eyes, with their fingers completely outstretched. This is ridiculous. There is no reason to do that other than to dissuade your opponent from coming forward for fear of an eye poke.

And the excuse that this is done in sparring, or in boxing, or in Muay Thai, or whatever.... I don't give a shit. This is MMA, and eye pokes are possible. Close your hand, or risk losing a point. Simple as that.

I'm not sure how it's worded, but the eye poke rule currently in place is clearly being taken advantage of. Sometimes, if you're pushing off of your opponent, a finger can slip into the eye. I understand that. But so many fighters nowadays paw with their lead hand, directly toward the opponent's eyes, with their fingers completely outstretched. This is ridiculous. There is no reason to do that other than to dissuade your opponent from coming forward for fear of an eye poke.

And the excuse that this is done in sparring, or in boxing, or in Muay Thai, or whatever.... I don't give a shit. This is MMA, and eye pokes are possible. Close your hand, or risk losing a point. Simple as that.
oh i agree, it definitely should be a point automatically, just like grabbing the fence should be. they'd learn not to pretty fast, like how people learn to not stretch their arm or leg out to break a fall during a takedown. But i believe the wording was that the act of advancing with the open hand was a foul. in other words they could eventually take points for that even if no eye poke occurs in the fight. It would be like banning inside leg kicks because theres a chance that you kick them in the balls

As far as judging goes, I think the problem is more the judges themselves than the criteria of judging. Judging won't radically change until they get old boxing judges the hell out of there.

Ufc doesn't change shit. Its up to the ABC and other ruling bodies to decide the rules, including how fights are judged.

Also, it was the ABC that PROPOSED new rules and tested them at VFC 48. They may or may not adopt them officially.

Not sure whats going on but Ive been in to combat sports for a very long time and I have never seen as many eye pokes as I have been seeing recently in MMA. Not sure if its glove related or what but it has gotten redicules.

There are legitimate reasons for a guy to reach out for his opponent, if anything they should give him a warning if hes fighting in that stance and then automatically take a point if he actually pokes them in the eye even on accident

Exactly. No point should be taken for pawing with open hands, but a warning ought to be given. After that warning, any eyepoke should be an automatic deduction.

Also, the intentional/unintentional criterion for deciding whether a foul merits a point deduction is ridiculous given that there is no definition, and almost no fouls have ever been considered intentional.

Back