Winning Headgear Sizing

Francis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've decided to pick get the Winning FG-5000 headgear, and I'm not sure what size to get. I've emailed Kazumichi at Winning, and he seems unwilling to give me a clear recommendation.

The sizing information he emailed me was the following:

Medium: 21.0 - 23.0 inch / 54 - 59 cm.
Large : 22.5 - 24.5 inch / 57 - 62 cm.
* Medium wearing are: Barrera, Morales, Vazquez, Paquiao, Vernon Forrest , Floyd Mayweather and Fernando Montiel.
* Large wearing are: Oscar de la Hoya, Antonio Margarito, Miguel Cotto, Zab Judah, Shane Mosley and Antonio Taver.

When I measure my head, if I place the tape at my eyebrows, the circumference of my head is 23". If I measure one inch above my eyebrows, the circumference of my head is 22.5".

This seems to be as much in between the two sizes as you can get.

Do you guys have any recommendation on what size headgear should I get?

Thanks.

whats your height and weight? I think you'll be fine with the medium.

Get the large. Medium is for people with small heads.

Get the large. Medium is for people with small heads.

yea i think you're right, i got a 3L(yea i know i got a big head:redface:) but my measurement was 24in, which would make me a 2L.

HEADGEAR Size List (FG-2900 & FG-5000):
Medium: 21.0 - 23.0 inch / 54 - 59 cm.
Large : 22.5 - 24.5 inch / 57 - 62 cm.
2 Large: 23.5 - 25.5 inch / 60 - 65 cm.
3 Large: 25.0 - 28.0 inch / 63 - 68 cm.

I know they have a return policy as long as you don't spar with it, the laces have to be white and the stickers have to still be on the headgear for them to accept returns.

yea i think you're right, i got a 3L(yea i know i got a big head:redface:) but my measurement was 24in, which would make me a 2L.

How did you measure it? On the eyebrows or above the eyebrows? I've heard both are "correct".

I know they have a return policy as long as you don't spar with it, the laces have to be white and the stickers have to still be on the headgear for them to accept returns.

I know, it's $30+ to exchange it. But the bigger deal is I wanted them to print my name on the headgear (don't want anyone to steal my $400 headgear!) and they will not accept a return after they print my name on it.

I faced the exact same dillema. My head measured directly around the eyebrows is 22.5 inches. Kazumichi was very vague just like you said.

I took the gamble and went with the medium (in both Fg-2900 and Fg-5000). Fits perfect. I think large would be too big, it might fit out of the box and feel comfortable, but I think it might move around in sparring.

At 22.5 I had to tighten the laces to prevent it moving in sparring. Works perfectly.

Just my .02

I'm 5'9.5", and my walkaround weight floats between 149 and 153 lbs.

I'm a little heavier (170) and medium fits perfect. Additionally, I use the size large cup which fits great. For some reason Kazumichi had no problem advising me to buy one size larger in cup than headgear, although he turned out to be correct.

Something to keep in mind. Good luck. :icon_chee

I faced the exact same dillema. My head measured directly around the eyebrows is 22.5 inches. Kazumichi was very vague just like you said.

I took the gamble and went with the medium (in both Fg-2900 and Fg-5000). Fits perfect. I think large would be too big, it might fit out of the box and feel comfortable, but I think it might move around in sparring.

At 22.5 I had to tighten the laces to prevent it moving in sparring. Works perfectly.

Just my .02
It's not about the laces. In terms of laces you can fit a 30 inch head into a medium and vice versa. That's not the issue. The ear holes, the cheek protectors, that's what's important. They have to be in the exact right spot.

For what it's worth I have a 22-23 inch head and I own large and 2Large Winning headgears. Fit is perfect with both. The 2Large fits better actually.

This is a good thread, as I have been pondering the same question. My head circumference is 22.5" and technically according to the chart it is a tough choice. It is nice to get some actual feedback from people who own the headgear.

:icon_chee

One of the guys in my gym has the FG-5000 in 2L, and I was able to try that on today. My coach thinks that L would be a good fit for my head, so that's what I'm going with.

Thanks for the input guys :)

One of the guys in my gym has the FG-5000 in 2L, and I was able to try that on today. My coach thinks that L would be a good fit for my head, so that's what I'm going with.

Thanks for the input guys :)

If you get it, keep us posted on how the fit is. I would be interested to know.

:icon_chee

get the medium. you rather have it fit alittle tight than big. i had the same problem. mine measured 23in and i went with a large. it was just alittle too big. wish i would of gotten the medium.

It's not about the laces. In terms of laces you can fit a 30 inch head into a medium and vice versa. That's not the issue. The ear holes, the cheek protectors, that's what's important. They have to be in the exact right spot.

For what it's worth I have a 22-23 inch head and I own large and 2Large Winning headgears. Fit is perfect with both. The 2Large fits better actually.

The plot thickens. Perhaps the issue is more the shape of your head than it's size in terms of where/how the padding fits?

Either way, I know the medium fits my head shape perfectly. Perhaps a large would also fit as well?

get the medium. you rather have it fit alittle tight than big. i had the same problem. mine measured 23in and i went with a large. it was just alittle too big. wish i would of gotten the medium.

Interesting! Thanks for the input.

Hey guys :) Thought I'd update this thread just in case anyone is still interested.

Just got my FG-5000 in large today, just tried it on, haven't sparred with it yet.

I am definitely glad I got them it in large, not medium. The fit is very tight to my cheeks, if I clench my jaw and flex my jaw muscles, the headgear will move slightly.

Vision is pretty good, but of course, it isn't perfect. Laterally, I have probably around 160 degree field of view. Up and down, I do lose a little bit, with the nose bar. I don't kickbox (yet) but I think it will be okay.

If my head is straight up and down, I'd be able to see my opponent's legs but not their feet. If my chin's down, I think visibility will be fine.

I tried bumping the headgear around a bit, just with my hands - the way it slides, I think it will be very difficult to give me a bloody nose, but I definitely do feel the impact pretty strongly.

I've read a few reviews of the Winning headgear, and people have been saying they don't feel much when they get hit wearing this. I don't see how that's possible with the way this headgear fits on me. I'm pretty sure I'd have a headache after an intense sparring session if I get tagged.

Hey guys :) Thought I'd update this thread just in case anyone is still interested.

Just got my FG-5000 in large today, just tried it on, haven't sparred with it yet.

I am definitely glad I got them it in large, not medium. The fit is very tight to my cheeks, if I clench my jaw and flex my jaw muscles, the headgear will move slightly.

Vision is pretty good, but of course, it isn't perfect. Laterally, I have probably around 160 degree field of view. Up and down, I do lose a little bit, with the nose bar. I don't kickbox (yet) but I think it will be okay.

If my head is straight up and down, I'd be able to see my opponent's legs but not their feet. If my chin's down, I think visibility will be fine.

I tried bumping the headgear around a bit, just with my hands - the way it slides, I think it will be very difficult to give me a bloody nose, but I definitely do feel the impact pretty strongly.

I've read a few reviews of the Winning headgear, and people have been saying they don't feel much when they get hit wearing this. I don't see how that's possible with the way this headgear fits on me. I'm pretty sure I'd have a headache after an intense sparring session if I get tagged.

If you have a headache after sparring I would presume either you've got the headgear laced up too tight, or more likely the headgear itself is too small. There's always the possibility that you've gone too hard (or too long) in sparring as well. Something to keep in mind.

Keep us posted!

Maybe you don't have it fitted right try adjusting the laces on top and in the back, of course you are going to feel an impact if you are hitting yourself. Getting hit with gloves during sparring when your adrenaline is going and hitting yourself with your bare hands is different. It actually hurts more to hit yourself then to get hit during sparring. I dunno how that works out but its true.

My head measures 21 inches, do you think medium would be perfect?

Back