winning gear (gloves, cup, headgear, wraps)

How much extra was it to get the Winning gear in Gold color?

Custom colours are + 30% of the $250.

Just did the math for the first time... They want $75 just for cusom colours? And I thought the base price was bad.

Custom colours are + 30% of the $250.

Just did the math for the first time... They want $75 just for cusom colours? And I thought the base price was bad.

Definately expensive.

Grant are too. $250 for 12oz gloves or $375 for custom = $125 for custom colours.

But sometimes, price does not dictate value.

I still paid the old price. So 200 for the headgear and another like 50 bucks for the gold = 250. And that's what the headgear costs now. So it wasn't that bad back then. But you shouldn't get Winning gear anyway if money is an issue. There's other good headgears available for way less money. If you can afford it there's nothing wrong with picking Winning.

Definately expensive.

Grant are too. $250 for 12oz gloves or $375 for custom = $125 for custom colours.

But sometimes, price does not dictate value.

With Grant they make the gloves to your hand size, and your details according to the email I received back from Grant. But it is still expensive, considering I just ordered custom Shevlins for $110.

But it is still expensive, considering I just ordered custom Shevlins for $110.
How recent is that? Mr. Shevlin officially retired and isn't accepting new orders according to himself on his FB page.

How recent is that? Mr. Shevlin officially retired and isn't accepting new orders according to himself on his FB page.

Actually Al retired a long time ago, his wife took over for a while now his daughter Mona is taking care of things, it is a family business. They are clearing out what leathers they have left and then that will be it, at least for now. You can contact Mona at [email protected], and she will give you a list of available leathers, if there is anything left; I placed my order on Friday, the first. Mona didn't want to communicate on FB, I guess in fear of being flooded with orders.

I need some help please. I'm about to buy a pair of Winnings.
I do have Fairtex BGV9 14 oz. (bag/mitts) and BGV5 14 oz. (mitts/sparring).
I want the Winnngs to be overall gloves from bag to light sparring.

My question is should i go 14 oz. or 16 oz.??

I'm 6'0"/190lb but fairly thin hands and wrist and a bit afraid the 16 oz. will be too loose.

Both my Fairtex 14 oz. fit well, however BGV5 i could have hardly use any larger.

Have any of you guys had a chance to wear BGV5/BGV9 14 oz. and Winnings 14 oz. or 16 oz. so you can compare the size/fit to Fairtex ?

thx

Last edited:
I need some help please. I'm about to buy a pair of Winnings.
I do have Fairtex BGV9 14 oz. (bag/mitts) and BGV5 14 oz. (mitts/sparring).
I want the Winnngs to be overall gloves from bag to light sparring.

My question is should i go 14 oz. or 16 oz.??

I'm 6'0"/190lb but fairly thin hands and wrist and a bit afraid the 16 oz. will be too loose.

Both my Fairtex 14 oz. fit well, however BGV5 i could have hardly use any larger.

Have any of you guys had a chance to wear BGV5/BGV9 14 oz. and Winnings 14 oz. or 16 oz. so you can compare the size/fit to Fairtex ?

thx

I had both, the 14 oz and 16 oz version. The 14 oz has a much smaller hand compartment and a smaller frame overall, they almost feel like pro gloves. The 16 oz have a significantly bigger hand compartment with more space, and they are wider and just bigger overall. More for people with bigger hands. The 14 oz will fit you well if you have smaller hands.

How's the wrist protection on
The winning gloves?
It's ok. Not good or even great, but not bad either. It's ok. Pretty soft, there's no dense material in there, no dense padding or anything like that. But it doesn't bother me personally.

I had both, the 14 oz and 16 oz version. The 14 oz has a much smaller hand compartment and a smaller frame overall, they almost feel like pro gloves. The 16 oz have a significantly bigger hand compartment with more space, and they are wider and just bigger overall. More for people with bigger hands. The 14 oz will fit you well if you have smaller hands.

Crazy how much of a difference 2oz. can make. I always heard people say Winning were wide in the pocket, and when I got my 14oz. I was wondering what the hell they were talking about, because I have small-medium size hands and they fit perfect.

Good to know for future reference.

True, I was also surprised when I put them on. I felt the 14 oz fit me perfect, they have a narrow frame. The 16 oz version has a V type shape, the knuckle area is pretty wide and a little too big for my hands. But no problem, I just wrap my knuckles a couple more times and that takes care of it.

Thx :)

It's ok. Not good or even great, but not bad either. It's ok. Pretty soft, there's no dense material in there, no dense padding or anything like that. But it doesn't bother me personally.

Hi Gonzaginator,

I followed your hint on glove size and I'm happy user of Winning Lace Ups 14oz. for a few weeks now. What I've expirienced exceeded all my expectations :)

Now the question is, should I get a velcro ones as well. There are moments with no time for playing with laces. Circuit workouts, conditioning, gloves on, gloves off...

What I've read the construction is the same, so the feeling/comfort should be as well. Some compromise must be the wrist support on velcro vs. lace ups, which I'm aware of and not trying to compare.

So the question is how would you compare the velcro wrist support on Winning to any other standard velcro gloves i.e. Fairtex BGV5 as a benchmark?

Back