Winning fg-2900 review after 100 logged rounds.

SkribbLe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
After 100 logged 4 minute rounds I've had time to review the pros and cons of this headgear.

Let me start of by saying this is the best mexican style headgear I have tried on, despite not having chin protection. While most people say its just as protective as a facebar, I have to respectfully disagree. I've gotten a bloody nose with this, it won't protect you from bombs.

It has very good nose protection if you got it the right size and laced up the right way (not too loose).

The headgear is maybe a little too tight on the forehead, but if I loosen it up a little it would take away from nose protection and it'll move.

Top quality construction and padding, very good ear padding along with padding on the temple. No padding on the back, not a big deal, keeps the headgear light.

Although the headgear is made out of artificial leather its held up very good, my only complaint would be that the headgear doesn't breathe. It gets overwhelmingly hot in there, for such a hefty price I would have wanted real, breathable leather.

Visibility is very good, I see punches coming, no problem detecting hooks either.

The chin strap is perfect, I like it a lot more then a buckle and keeps the headgear light.

All and all, I'm very happy with the purchase and happy I don't get headaches after heavy sparring anymore. I'm also keeping an eye on ebay, I've been wanting to buy an fg 5000, I'll give a review on that if I get the chance to buy it.

Thanks.

Nice review! Very detailed.

I'm not sure I agree that the headgear gets too hot though, only because compared to other headgears I've used it doesn't seem to be any worse (just my opinion). I mean, no matter what gear your wearing it's going to be drenched in sweat after a long session anyway, to me that's just part of training.

Was there a particular headgear you've used thats cooler in comparison?

Nice review! Very detailed.

I'm not sure I agree that the headgear gets too hot though, only because compared to other headgears I've used it doesn't seem to be any worse (just my opinion). I mean, no matter what gear your wearing it's going to be drenched in sweat after a long session anyway, to me that's just part of training.

Was there a particular headgear you've used thats cooler in comparison?

Thanks! You know how most title headgears have that pillowy cushion on the inside? I find those to be a an issue solver when it comes to being to tight on the forehead, also I find that I don't get as hot.

The higher quality everlast headgears make me feel sort of cooler. But you are right, no matter what headgear you use, its gonna get hot. I just find this one in particular to get hotter then the others

Thanks! You know how most title headgears have that pillowy cushion on the inside? I find those to be a an issue solver when it comes to being to tight on the forehead, also I find that I don't get as hot.

The higher quality everlast headgears make me feel sort of cooler. But you are right, no matter what headgear you use, its gonna get hot. I just find this one in particular to get hotter then the others

I prefer my Cleto Reyes headgear with the leather interior, I find it a lot cooler than my Rival that had the suede lining.

I prefer my Cleto Reyes headgear with the leather interior, I find it a lot cooler than my Rival that had the suede lining.

Do you have the facebar or mexican style? The cleto reyes brand uses such a high quality leather that it breathes amazingly.

Do you have the facebar or mexican style? The cleto reyes brand uses such a high quality leather that it breathes amazingly.

Traditional facebar to replace my rival mexican.

Traditional facebar to replace my rival mexican.

Hows the visibility? I'm moving and I've found a gym, they spar 3 times a week with 18 oz gloves. I don't know if this fg 2900 will protect me enough, or if I should go with a facebar to protect me in the long run. I'm only 15, I've got over 130 fights and contemplating on getting a facebar or not.

Hows the visibility? I'm moving and I've found a gym, they spar 3 times a week with 18 oz gloves. I don't know if this fg 2900 will protect me enough, or if I should go with a facebar to protect me in the long run. I'm only 15, I've got over 130 fights and contemplating on getting a facebar or not.

The visibility is pretty good, I would compare the vision to a Mexican headgear; I think the FG5000 has better peripheral vision, but I have seen one of Manny Pacquiao's sparring partners get their eye split open on 24/7 while wearing the FG5000. Also, that is not to say the Reyes is bad or anything, I can still see most shots, it is just when you are toe to toe you may not see a hook if your head is slightly turned; good news though, you won't feel it.

The visibility is pretty good, I would compare the vision to a Mexican headgear; I think the FG5000 has better peripheral vision, but I have seen one of Manny Pacquiao's sparring partners get their eye split open on 24/7 while wearing the FG5000. Also, that is not to say the Reyes is bad or anything, I can still see most shots, it is just when you are toe to toe you may not see a hook if your head is slightly turned; good news though, you won't feel it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twp1Boco_Wk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Andre ward got his eyebrow cut using an fg 5000. Maybe he didn't use vasseline? I don't know. Would you prefer the reyes over the winning facebar?

I haven't tried one or seen one in person, but seeing how the FG5000 is $300+ more than the Reyes, and actually using the Reyes, I would go with the Reyes, but make sure to get the traditional and not the redesigned.

Money in this particular (and very rare) case isn't a problem, with the holidays coming and other stuff, would you still recommend reyes facebar? How bulky is it, if you measure it? Is it difficult to slip punches? Does it feel heavy? Does it move a lot?

Money in this particular (and very rare) case isn't a problem, with the holidays coming and other stuff, would you still recommend reyes facebar? How bulky is it, if you measure it? Is it difficult to slip punches? Does it feel heavy? Does it move a lot?

Honestly, the FG5000 looks huge compared to the Reyes, IMO; haven't had an issue with it at all, I would say it is about the same size as a mexican style headgear.

Mississauga-20121010-00383.jpg

Mississauga-20121010-00382_1349891588037_o.jpg

And with two confirmed cuts with an FG5000, will pass on one my self; I will take protection over minor vision issues.

Honestly, the FG5000 looks huge compared to the Reyes, IMO; haven't had an issue with it at all, I would say it is about the same size as a mexican style headgear.

Mississauga-20121010-00383.jpg

Mississauga-20121010-00382_1349891588037_o.jpg

And with two confirmed cuts with an FG5000, will pass on one my self; I will take protection over minor vision issues.

Does the bar sit far enough for you not to feel the shots?

Ya, there is about 1" of space, and I haven't felt it move.

Thanks for the replies, but both confirmed cuts on the fg 5000 are on the older models, the new model is what I hear to be like an fg 2900 inside a fg 5000. More protection, less weight.

I currently use the FG5000 and have tried on a FG2900. I didn't get the chance to use the FG2900 since I was recovering from injuries, but I tried it on and noticed it's not the best at stopping nose strikes. If you can, get the FG5000 (ebay might take a while so buying from Winning might be better) and sell the FG2900 on ebay. The nose protection is amazing and hits are absorbed well. There isn't much chin protection and one of my boxing coaches at the UFC Gym thought my headgear was too small. I rarely get hit in the chin anyway and it's not really too much of a problem.

I haven't tried a Cleto Reyes yet, but if you do get that, make sure you know which model you are getting.

Last edited:
This is only my opinion, but I think the fact that a few guys like Andre Ward have sustained cuts while wearing the FG-5000 isn't so much a reflection of the headgear being ineffective as much as it is a reflection of how hard the elite pros hit.

I saw Yuriorkis Gamboa training once and the guy hits like a mule. It's frightening how hard he can hit, and he's a flyweight.

Not to mention seeing David Tua throw the leather.

In my opinion, no headgear is going to save you from those situations against those lions. Thats why they get paid the big bucks.

This is only my opinion, but I think the fact that a few guys like Andre Ward have sustained cuts while wearing the FG-5000 isn't so much a reflection of the headgear being ineffective as much as it is a reflection of how hard the elite pros hit.

I saw Yuriorkis Gamboa training once and the guy hits like a mule. It's frightening how hard he can hit, and he's a flyweight.

Not to mention seeing David Tua throw the leather.

In my opinion, no headgear is going to save you from those situations against those lions. Thats why they get paid the big bucks.

I was watching the Fightquest episode in Mexico City and in the tournament at the end, the Mexican boxer with the Winning FG5000 (old model) got his eye cut while Doug wearing the Everlast open faced headgear didn't, but Jimmy's opponent also wearing a FG5000 didn't get cut. It all comes down to luck.

Last edited:
I've had the Reyes headgear and it's better than 99% of the face-bar style headgears out there EXCEPT the Winning FG-5000.

The Winning FG-5000 is simply without equal in my opinion.

Back