Wing chun is a bad martial art.

90% of WC is grappling. They controll your body by uplifting you, similar to in sumo, and "pin" your arms.

let me clear a bit up (i dont do WC myself but i know a few black sashes at my school): wc isnt grappling the the sense that most of us think of it. it is more of less something completely different called trapping. the objective of WC is to trap your opponent and the best way to do so it by having control of their spine so that they cannot move. WC is VERY effective at a close distance when it comes to stand up fighting but the problem is most practitioners just train to stop strikes not take downs or submissions.

I agree with most of this. It appears that WC is only effective at this "trapping" range. How would you maintain this desired range against another experienced non-WC fighter?

this is where the fight gets interesting =P when i spar my friend he is constantly moving forward trying to get into close range where he can totally beat the crap out of me (if we arent doing ground fighting that is) while i constantly circle and keep distance with leg kicks and jabs. i keep my range and then set up shots with feints. WC is very effective at blocking all striking techniques but the fact that the switch their stances around depending on the strike is their weakness. if you can throw a few fast and believable feints he will not be able to keep shifting and you will sooner or later find an opening (ex: jab him a few times then fake the jab, fake the cross, and then come around with a hook and he will be out of position due to him trying to defend the cross)

WC is VERY effective at a close distance when it comes to stand up fighting but the problem is ...

BS. Show me a video of a WC fighter going full steam with a MT, Boxer, or Kickboxer. You can't cause they can't. They don't spar with full contact so they have no idea what works and what doesn't against a resisting opponent. Not to mention how to handle getting punched in the face.

I am new here,but not to martial arts. I have been through the lame karate-do mcdojo's. Even did a stint in Tiger Schullman's before it was MMA. I even did Bujinkan Ninjutsu. I am now and have been for several years studying southen shaolin kung-fu or known as Fukien Chinese Boxing.

I had the same mentality as many do,Kung-fu has no legitimacy in a fight till I felt what it can do and saw what it could do. Truth is,many masters are out there to make money,they keep very select few to learn what is called "closed door training". The rest do mindless excercises to feel good. Forms are repeated with no explanation. No touching for live sparring. Nowadays most teachers or sifu's only learned a small piece of the art and figured,ok this is enough to kick ass with. So they stay stagnant. Why most Hung gar sifu's only know tiger, and not crane. Very few real teachers with true combat experience.

Every art is dangerous and lethal when it is an art of combat. Taekwondo,judo,are sports. Not considered combat arts,can they be used to hurt someone? of course. the difference is what you are looking to accomplish. Bujinkan has not been that legit for a while now either and steven hayes was taken to task for teaching the art as it was meant to be. That is why he left and formed his own school.

as to wing chun,it was created by a nun named ng muy....she taught it to a local village girl named wing chun. problem is,the nun was a fully trained shaolin but she could not fit all that knowledge into this village girl who was being harassed by the local warlord into marriage. So with wing chun having her ankles tied since birth,obviously she can't run. So she taught her three basic movements to do off the ankles.

3 slaps that would allow her to humiliate him in front of everyone and he would lose interest. Wing Chun really is not an art. Just a seed of an idea.

@chaossentry:
You study Fukien boxing, aka Dog boxing!?! I did not think you could find that anywhere outside of China. That system has got one nasty ground game and is pretty rare.

You are quite right about the training history of kung-fu styles. Of course most Sherdoggers will not believe that any kung-fu style would actually do full contact training.

This thread

jump_the_shark.png

right from the start.

BS. Show me a video of a WC fighter going full steam with a MT, Boxer, or Kickboxer. You can't cause they can't. They don't spar with full contact so they have no idea what works and what doesn't against a resisting opponent. Not to mention how to handle getting punched in the face.

so just b/c there isnt a video of a wing chun guy fighting full contact on youtube it doesnt exist? i never thought that wing chun or tai chi could actually work until i saw them being used (and very effectively i might add).

most schools are crap but the guys i train with have the same if not a stronger fighting will than most combat sport competitors... when i catch them they say thank you now i will learn not to do that again. if i dont hit them hard enough or pull back right as i land on them they will yell at me that they will never learn how to actually stop that attack if i dont actually try to hit them fully with it. this one guy i know goes through all sorts of body conditioning getting hit with a hard wood sword and i have never seen him even stumble when getting hit (and i have caught him SQUARE on the chin and to the body).

do i think that wing chun is a complete martial art? HELL no. but i will say that after seeing what my friends could do up close and personal ive let them teach me a few things for my inside game and in return i show them BJJ.

I agree completely. This is the problem with most eastern fighting styles. They don't have live sparring sessions or go full contact.

the TS said.... "Guess what you stupid fucking kids, you dont have to be trained to fight dirty. Anyone can go for the throat or groin". So when is choking someone (as in BJJ) not "dirty" ? In real self defense...there is no such thing as "dirty" fighting! In many martial arts systems...the eyes and groin are the top targets. Go figure,

wing chun is good art however its hard to find a good master because the art is so watered down and full of phoneys

but this isnt a suprise every art that has become popular ends up like this:icon_chee

okay wing chun is crap against any trained person in any art but if you meet a normal mugger who dosnt know shit about martial arts by all means cradle his balls my chunners

Why necro this thread, when there's already another one about the efficacy of WC?

Some things from Wing Chun works... and for that video, the katas are dumb but the wooden dummy work and sticky hands are actually great exercises.

It's not a total waste of time, some of the techniques can be really useful in some situations. Just think of it as another tool to add to your toolbelt

Do Wing Chun guys not spar? I only ask because I went to a Wing Chun school once (I have many years of Martial arts and Kickboxing experience and let the instructor know) and asked the instructor if he would spar. I was refused, the other students seemed rather surprised that he refused to spar with me, he said something like "Thats how you get sued." Referring to sparring with new students.

So u just walked into a wing chun school, approached the instructor, bragged about ur martial arts skill, and asked him if he would sparr with u?:icon_lol:

So u just walked into a wing chun school, approached the instructor, bragged about ur martial arts skill, and asked him if he would sparr with u?:icon_lol:

In fairness to him though, so many WC defenders say "go into a school, the instructors to spar with you and make your own opinions." Most guys just wont do that because of said liability issues.

In fairness to him though, so many WC defenders say "go into a school, the instructors to spar with you and make your own opinions." Most guys just wont do that because of said liability issues.

Exactly. The "go fight the instructors" thing is stupid IMHO. It's almost like saying "Go find a good fighter who will agree to fight you and kicks your ass. Until you get your ass kicked disregard everyone else. Ass not yet kicked? Keep looking!"

Lol. The day of barging into a dojo, shouting your lineage, and demanding a duel with the head instructor is over :icon_lol:

The comment of finding a school and getting first hand experience is not the same as going and and requesting a challenge match.

It means to go and learn a bit about what the style has to offer. Spend a couple weeks or months there--and you'll get some sparring in. They will be more prone to sparring if you show them genuine interest as opposed to going in to prove your style is superior.

Back