• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Win only by Large margin or Finish. Close margin = Draw

Booksmasher

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very close fights which end up in decisions are becoming more and more the norm in MMA. I think this is a problem because there is a flaw in the current reward system. Alot of fighters have the goal to get a 10-9 round. 10-9 rounds are officially very close rounds where nothing decisive happens in terms of ending a fight. This is also a big reason of the existance of boring fights without much action. Why? Because fighters are thinking in points, "I am ahead because I have Octagon Control" or "I am ahead with one takedown more". To make MMA come back to its roots more and make it more fun too, what do you guys think about this following system:

-still using 3 and 5 round fights
-still using the same time limits
-introducing draws
-win can only be achieved by a finish in unranked fights
-in ranked fights a win can also be achieved by scoring 10-8 rounds (large margin) which include some scored 10-9 rounds which should be 10-8
-10-9 rounds (close margin) do not exist, they are 10-10
-only in titlefights you can win by scoring 10-9 rounds
-showmoney a bit lower
-by a draw or loss no extra money
-finishmoney is 2,5x fold of showmoney against unranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 2x fold of showmoney against #15-#10 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 4x fold of showmoney against #15-#10 ranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 3x fold of showmoney against #9-#5 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 6x fold of showmoney against #9-#5 ranked opponent
-decisionmoney is 4x fold of showmoney against #4-#1 ranked opponent
-finishmoney is 8x fold of showmoney against #4-#1 ranked opponent
-by a draw the lower ranked fighter stagnates at his rank (#10 stays at #10)
-by a draw the higher ranked fighter drops 1 rank above the lower ranked opponent (#5 drops to #9)
-only the champion doesnt get any showmoney nor decisionmoney by 10-9 at all so he is not willing to fight for a boring 10-9 decision win.

Im seeing some benefits by doing this:

-more fair to finishing fighters who have developed more impressive skills
-motivation to finish the opponent (or at least make it 10-8 in ranked fights)
-motivation to develop finishing skills
-more exciting fights
-more impressive fighters
-the limited neutralizing fighter who is not willing to develop his finishing game will never be able to climb up the ranks

Last edited:
No rounds and then we are getting somewhere

Finnish only MMA

all bouts 15 mins and if it's not over by then an unlimited overtime period starts where the crowd start throwing puukko's into the cage

It's not wrong though?

How can you say a 10-9 score means very little has happened?

Each round in Swanson/Choi was a 10-9 round. A lot happened. It's a ridiculous statement.

In terms of ending a fight or giving huge damage to your opponent (10-8 round)

Forget the money aspect. Some guys need money worse than others which could still lead to stalling and point fighting.

I think the only way to go is finishes. Ref/Dr. stoppages, corners throw in the towel, or tapping.

In terms of ending a fight or giving huge damage to your opponent (10-8 round)

Taking that Swanson/Choi fight for example. Both guys were swinging and damaging each other. It wouldn't be fair to give a 10-8 round to either guy. Why would a fighter be given a 10-8 if they're ended a fight?

Bring back yellow cards for dudes stalling

Hit em in their pockets and ull have guys actually fighting more

Forget the money aspect. Some guys need money worse than others which could still lead to stalling and point fighting.

I think the only way to go is finishes. Ref/Dr. stoppages, corners throw in the towel, or tapping.

Well what benefits does someone has if he draws? I explained the consequences

Rounds are there for air scheduling purposes.

They can't be removed.

Taking that Swanson/Choi fight for example. Both guys were swinging and damaging each other. It wouldn't be fair to give a 10-8 round to either guy. Why would a fighter be given a 10-8 if they're ended a fight?

Well thats not a 10-8, thats a draw then. And there are no scores at all in my example.

Rounds are there for air scheduling purposes.

They can't be removed.

They dont need to be removed. They neither need to be scored . Just waiting for a finish. If its not there its a draw in this example.

Well thats not a 10-8, thats a draw then. And there are no scores at all in my example.

So your example is fighter can only win by sub, ko or forfeit I'm assuming you're proposing no time limits?

I was referring more to your statement where you said 10-9 rounds mean nothing happens in a fight which couldn't be more wrong.

They dont need to be removed. They neither need to be scored . Just waiting for a finish. If its not there its a draw in this example.

Good idea. I'd much rather see lots of draws and endless rematches which also result in draws.

I am proposing time limits and rounds. Those will never go away.

So you don't want scores and only finishes therefore how would a fighter win a round?

Are you suggesting if neither fighter finishes each other its a draw?

Change records to reflect decisions , a fighter who is 3-2-1-0, has 3 wins by finish 2 by decision, 1 loss by finish and none by decision

Good idea. I'd much rather see lots of draws and endless rematches which also result in draws.

Why must there be endless rematches or rematches at all? The ranking changes and availability will determine the next fights.

Back