will we ever see a NFL quarterback in MMA?

MMA has had a huge number of ex-nfl guys, but none have ever been the coveted position of quarterback, a beacon of A level athletisicm.
Tom-Brady-shirtless-02-15-15.jpg

C'mon son.

There's no reason for me to get defensive, MMA is also by far my favorite sport. I just get tired of people claiming everything as intelligence whether it is to make everyone feel good, to fight racism or god knows what.
Intelligence, at least by the definition most people understand it, is pretty accurately described by IQ. It literally correlates extremely strongly(and lack of IQ correlates negatively) with success in almost everything in life. Im fairly certain there isn't research on IQ and combat sports, but from looking at them handling their careers and finances during and after the fighting career, I'd bet on average its not that high.

Lmao, are you serious? Fighters make the best financial decisions in sports!

And IQ doesn't mean shit.

Fighting is more complex. No one ever said anything about people having higher GPAs then anyone else, although I'm sure that's true as well.

Like in the audience watching, when the camera is all zooms in on [insert athlete here]?

Probably.

Fighting, as any sports requires knowledge of the sport in order to compete. But this knowledge isn't something that can't be taught to an NFL athlete, especially a Quarterback who is one of the smartest guys on the field, if not the smartest (if not because bunch of players come from Ivy league schools, especially lineman). I mean, an MMA coach can teach boys off the streets of Brazil with no formal education whatsoever to be one of the best fighters in the world. Boxing coaches can teach Boxers off the streets to become the best Boxers in the world. You don't think they could teach a college graduate which is what the majority of NFL athletes are.

Here is a picture of an NFL playbook.

FALCONS_PLAYBOOK.jpg

Its as thick as the an encyclopedia. This is what a QB has to learn. You'd have to be extremely smart to grasp the complexity and retain everything in an NFL playbook. If MMA requires a certain level of intelligence, that isn't an issue for an NFL athlete just as it isn't an issue for the great fighters in history from both Boxing and MMA who come from the streets.

Plenty of very intelligent athletes in all sports. They made the intelligent choice of competing in sports for millions rather than making thousands being a doctor, lawyer, etc.
rly big complexity

a guy can be stronger,faster/whatever, but that doesnt mean he could be a great fighter.

even 1% would be more than enough.

Trust me bro, with more money, the whole ladder would change.

I don't disagree. Any sport could use more athletes. It breeds more competition, and MMA certainly in the heavier divisions lack it. I'm simply stating not every NFL athlete is cut out for fighting. Some of them are, and could be the greatest fighters we've ever seen given enough training. Some of them would take a punch worse than Brock Lesnar.

We've already seen what happens when a majority of A-level athletes 200+ go into a combat sport. It resulted in the golden era of boxing at HW.

It's just most wouldn't make the cut, partially because they would be beat by their own comrades, but also because they just aren't smart enough. Take Schaub for example, no reason he shouldn't of become a HW champion. The reason he isn't because he's the biggest idiot in MMA. That's the type of people that are most likely to be brought over from these sports. That's why you aren't seeing these guys take over the sport, because there isn't an abundance of them coming over to weed out the people that can't grasp fighting from the ones that can.

I don't disagree. Any sport could use more athletes. It breeds more competition, and MMA certainly in the heavier divisions lack it. I'm simply stating not every NFL athlete is cut out for fighting. Some of them are, and could be the greatest fighters we've ever seen given enough training. Some of them would take a punch worse than Brock Lesnar.

We've already seen what happens when a majority of A-level athletes 200+ go into a combat sport. It resulted in the golden era of boxing.

It's just most wouldn't make the cut, partially because they would be beat by their own comrades, but also because they just aren't smart enough. Take Schaub for example, no reason he shouldn't of become a HW champion. The reason he isn't because he's the biggest idiot in MMA. That's the type of people that are most likely to be brought over from these sports. That's why you aren't seeing these guys take over the sport, because there isn't an abundance of them coming over to weed out the people that can't grasp fighting from the ones that can.

Maybe ... maybe not.

Maybe 1% would have made it or not.

The money is just too good and we will never know.

No idea how much the NFL is worth, but if you have that money, buy it and send these guys to mma to find out.

Lmao, are you serious? Fighters make the best financial decisions in sports!

And IQ doesn't mean shit.

Fighting is more complex. No one ever said anything about people having higher GPAs then anyone else, although I'm sure that's true as well.

IQ means everything, its the only "intelligence" that actually means something, it basically predicts persons future with extremely high success rate. All this fight IQ, emotional intelligence etc. is bullshit, it is not "intelligence" in the sense the word is understood as.

If you're good at football you're going to be swimming in pussy either way, regardless of position. Most guys choose their position in middle school or in pop warner anyways, and they just choose their position on what's going to be the funnest for them, not what's going to make them the most money or fame in their 20s and 30s
You don’t simply choose your position. You play what your told to play by coaches after evaluation.

Thats the dumbest shit I heard all day
No one with the skills to be quarterback would choose a different position
No one would choose not to be the center of attention, the star of the show, the big dog on campus

Yea the prom queen wants me to fuck her but naw I'll just stick with this chubby math nerd instead

I would stay with the chubby math nerd to help me with my taxes

Maybe ... maybe not.

Maybe 1% would have made it or not.

The money is just too good and we will never know.

No idea how much the NFL is worth, but if you have that money, buy it and send these guys to mma to find out.

We've seen guys come over. Like I said, it's not enough. You need a lot more of them to come over. I agree, money is partially the issue. The other is not wanting to fight.

The average NFL fighters make 2 million per year. Any guy that could become champion and stay there could make at least that much fighting twice a year, and probably more.

Back