Elections Will Third Parties Affect the Outcome of the 2024 Election?

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
"This year might have the flavor of 2016 (when a combination of Green, Libertarian, and other third parties siphoned off more than 5% of the national vote), or even 2000, when dissatisfaction with Democrat Al Gore and Republican George W. Bush resulted in almost 3.5 million votes being cast for Green Ralph Nader and Reform Party candidate Pat Buchanan."

Both Biden and Trump carry negative approval ratings and are, for a variety of reasons, deeply unpopular. Trump, of course, has been indicted four times. . . Biden, like many incumbents across the world, has governed in an inflationary era that has soured large swaths of the electorate.

Enter the third party candidates: Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Cornel West, Jill Stein, and whomever the Libertarian Party candidate nominates.

"Some polls show Kennedy winning more than 10% of the national vote, which would put him in league with Ross Perot, the last third party candidate to attract mass support in a presidential race. Perot captured almost 19% of the vote in 1992 and 8.4% in 1996, his populist campaigns finding purchase with Democrats and Republicans alike, while denying Bill Clinton a chance to ever win a majority of the popular vote."

The Village Voice

Anyone here already made the decision to vote third-party? It would be a protest vote, sure, but you can always say that you didn't vote for Trump or Biden.

I don't see many people wasting their vote. I think most people support either Trump or Biden and at the same time think the other guy is destroying the country. It's why I think Haley would have a better chance against Biden unless enough Trump supporters throw a hissy fit and refuse to vote for her.

people wasting their vote
this is the biggest psy-op going on in america, and it's been going on for decades.
that choosing outside of the uniparty is "wasting your vote".
who do you think profits the most from this? the rep-dem uniparty, who also stirs every election into a frenzy of "if the other guys win, it's the end of the world!".

stop being manipulated. you're fucking manipulated into voting for the military-corporate-banking state for the rest of your life.

this is the biggest psy-op going on in america, and it's been going on for decades.
who do you think profits the most from this? the rep-dem uniparty, who also stirs every election into a frenzy of "if the other guys win, it's the end of the world!".

stop being manipulated. you're fucking manipulated into voting for the military-corporate-banking state for the rest of your life.
Ok but unless the system changes voting for Kennedy is wasting your vote. He's being propped up to siphon votes more than anything else. Maybe Trump has has infected the GOP to the point the MAGA radicals will never be shaken loose but I'm willing to bet on Haley. Barring that I'll vote Biden if Trump is on the ballot. I'm not going to waste it on a guy I don't particularly like just because he isn't one of the other two guys.

Ok but unless the system changes voting for Kennedy is wasting your vote. He's being propped up to siphon votes more than anything else. Maybe Trump has has infected the GOP to the point the MAGA radicals will never be shaken loose but I'm willing to bet on Haley. Barring that I'll vote Biden if Trump is on the ballot. I'm not going to waste it on a guy I don't particularly like just because he isn't one of the other two guys.
How would the system change itself if it benefits itself being like this? You're just admitting to being a captive in this charade you call democracy in America.

I wouldn’t call it wasting your vote. But you do Have to consider the ramifications.

Real example: I have a hippie dippie liberal friend who isn’t very politically knowledgeable. She cares about the environment a lot, so she wanted to vote for Jill Stein, the Green Party candidate, in 2016. That’s all well and good.

But Jill Stein was never going to win. Hillary may not be as good on the environment as Stein, but she’s leagues better than Trump.
And a very real result of voting for Stein instead of Hillary is that it could drain votes from Hillary and allow Trump to win. And that’s exactly what happened: Trump won my state by less than 23,000 votes. Jill Stein got 31,000…

The result was that by voting for the Green Party, you ended up with the guy who cut environmental regulations the most. These are the things you have to consider when voting 3rd party.

No labels also planning on having a candidate.

I wouldn’t call it wasting your vote. But you do Have to consider the ramifications.

Real example: I have a hippie dippie liberal friend who isn’t very politically knowledgeable. She cares about the environment a lot, so she wanted to vote for Jill Stein, the Green Party candidate, in 2016. That’s all well and good.

But Jill Stein was never going to win. Hillary may not be as good on the environment as Stein, but she’s leagues better than Trump.
And a very real result of voting for Stein instead of Hillary is that it could drain votes from Hillary and allow Trump to win. And that’s exactly what happened: Trump won my state by less than 23,000 votes. Jill Stein got 31,000…

The result was that by voting for the Green Party, you ended up with the guy who cut environmental regulations the most. These are the things you have to consider when voting 3rd party.
You're describing a locked system that basically functions on guilt.

You're describing a locked system that basically functions on guilt.
I’m describing a system in which you have to treat it a bit like chess and think a couple of moves ahead. You‘ve got to think about what you’re trying to achieve , which candidate will best work for those goals, but also what the real-world, practical ramifications of your vote are. I’m not saying it’s good, but it’s the reality.

I’m describing a system in which you have to treat it a bit like chess and think a couple of moves ahead. You‘ve got to think about what you’re trying to achieve , which candidate will best work for those goals, but also what the real-world, practical ramifications of your vote are. I’m not saying it’s good, but it’s the reality.
The reality is that all the strategic thought dissolves into the actual reality of voting for a locked uni-system where both big parties take money from and are actively controlled by the same interests that coalesce around the military-corporate-banking system. the only supposed freedoms you vote for are marginal and managed.

Both parties cheer for war, unlike most americans i know. Congress and the president are placeholder, revolving door units that do not represent the american people, but only the moneyed interests of the true wealth class, which is NOT patriotic and not even limited in scope and functioning to the territory of the US. It extends deeply into Europe and the european branches extend deeply into America.

Your vote is a vote for the Empire.

I think you can afford to think a few more votes ahead. If Green votes are leading to the Democrats losing states then they might start introducing policies that appeal to the 31,000 who voted Green. A better long term future might be worth 4 Trump years compared to a slightly better status quo.

I think you can afford to think a few more votes ahead. If Green votes are leading to the Democrats losing states then they might start introducing policies that appeal to the 31,000 who voted Green. A better long term future might be worth 4 Trump years compared to a slightly better status quo.
Long term thinking only works in a system that isn't manipulated into existing into slices of "THE NEXT ELECTION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT " type of thinking. It's like being forced into living in breaths of air between drowning. That's not a healthy political sphere, and it's controlled not to be.

The problem with 3rd party is the system is set up all or nothing. If you don't carry a State you get nothing. Also the funding isn't there like it is for the RNC/DNC. Ross Perot Is the only person that made waves in my lifetime. These are 2 of the most unliked candidates in memory so you'd think a viable 3rd party would have a shot. Not sold that Kennedy is that guy.

How would the system change itself if it benefits itself being like this? You're just admitting to being a captive in this charade you call democracy in America.
That's going to happen outside of an election through legislation or when a viable independent candidate is running. I don't have to waste my vote on this guy considering how high the stakes are. Trump is unfit for the Presidency due to his character and that's more evident now than in '16. We all know it but his supporters want to turn a blind eye and wail at sky blaming everyone else but him.

Hey I'm happy to live in America. I'm proud of it. No offense to that guy but he complains about us but doesn't even admit what country he's from. {<shrug}

Last edited:
The reality is that all the strategic thought dissolves into the actual reality of voting for a locked uni-system where both big parties take money from and are actively controlled by the same interests that coalesce around the military-corporate-banking system. the only supposed freedoms you vote for are marginal and managed.

Both parties cheer for war, unlike most americans i know. Congress and the president are placeholder, revolving door units that do not represent the american people, but only the moneyed interests of the true wealth class, which is NOT patriotic and not even limited in scope and functioning to the territory of the US. It extends deeply into Europe and the european branches extend deeply into America.

Your vote is a vote for the Empire.
You aren't offering a solution. Kennedy is not going to win.

That's going to happen outside of an election through legislation or when a viable independent candidate is running. I don't have to waste my vote on this guy considering how high the stakes are. Trump is unfit for the Presidency due to his character and that's more evident now than in '16. We all know it but his supporters want to turn a blind eye and wail at sky blaming everyone else but him.
yeah, this is the type of thinking i've been talking about in here.

4 more years of TR7MP isn't going to bring us to a better long term future.

Back