Will the real Joe Cortez please stand up!

Thank you....The Brits just will never let the Hatton fight go.

Thats one point that I cant stand hearing about, that somehow Cortez was helping Mayweather by breaking it up. Its like people just heard that Hatton was better inside and then ignored what was actually going on in the fight.

I have to respectfully disagree. Not that it gives me extra cred, but I'm not British nor partial to Hatton or Mayweather. The way the fight was officiated clearly benefited Mayweather. Cortez was on Hatton like flies on rice (I think I confused my ****phors between white on rice and flies on shit, but since it's kind of funny I'll leave as is :D ) for clinching let alone throwing elbows or forearms.

Seems like Mayweather had a blank check to do whatever he wanted whereas Hatton's tactics (which he employs in virtually all his fights) were unusually (rightly or wrongly) punished. I think it's unfair to say Mayweather was beating Hatton at his own game when the referee wouldn't let Hatton play his game. And I would also add that Hatton's style is to pressure, pressure, pressure and wear out and tire an opponents. I don't think it's irrational to say that even if he gets outscored in the early rounds that his work might pay dividends later in the fight.

Now, personally, I think Mayweather would have won regardless, but that doesn't mean I think Cortez would have reffed the fight the same way if it was two-no name fighters in there. And I think a proper ref should treat every fight like he doesn't know who the fighters (and their reputations) are.

Back