Will the real Joe Cortez please stand up!

Steve Smoger- now there's a referee.

Not liking him is one thing, but he's not incompetent. He's no Jay Nady.

Interesting this hit-and-hold or hold-and-hit angle. I'm curious where in the rule book it would say one is acceptable and the other isn't. My guess is it doesn't.

Then the other thing is the lack of consistency, because seems to me Hatton fights the same way in a lot of his fights, but only against Mayweather was it so cracked down by the referee.

Two other fights where it seems like there was a ridiculous zest for the referee to prevent clinching was Maskaev-Rahman II (causing merchant to lose it), Tyson-Lewis, and Jones-Ruiz.

Righly or wrongly, there was an abnormally high zest to disallow Lewis, Maskaev, and Ruis to hold when historically (esp Ruiz) they got away with it all the time.

The rule book doesn't say when specifically the rule is to be applied either, or how forcefully to apply it. It's at the ref's discretion.

I can understand the point of consistency. I mean I thought Cortez did a horrible job AGAINST Castillo, but then he acts less favorably to Hatton in Hatton's last fight and everyone gets uppity. But Hatton fans don't say dick about his silly point deduction from Castillo.

He also didn't allow EVERY clinch or hold in the fight. Nor could he ALWAYS see who was initiating the clinching, Calzaghe wasn't exactly doing everything to avoid it, not using his legs to combination and move, not moving laterally around Hopkins much.

It was a sloppy affair in which any ref could do no right. So ridiculing Cortez, is ridiculous.

And another thing, personally, I don't think it's the ref's job to "create space" in a fight. His job is to break up clinches, and penalize fighters for excessive clinching.

I think how Padilla "broke up" clinches in the first Leonard-Duran fight is how every referee should do it. Slap away gloves and unhook tangled arms and that's it. Infighting is every bit a part of boxing as punching from a distance and I don't see why the referee should create space by separating fighters..

But that's just me... I could be wrong. :D

"Hatton- holds and hits"

Whether he does or he doesn't Cortez clearly said stop boxing when he and Mayweather were NOT clinched and were just looking at each other. I know fighters get reputations and stuff but surely you see what they are doing and respond accordingly. Otherwise you are picking them up on things they were going to do...

You are right though it is nobodies fault that I've only seen Cortez ref two fights. As I said I've probably seen him in more just noticed him a lot in these two. I don't get to watch as much boxing as I would like.

I thought B Hop was the dirtier fighter in that ring but everybody knows on sherdog opinions mean nothing if you have any connection whatsoever to the participants such as enjoying watching them compete or coming from the same country as them.

I think it was in the 5th round where Hopkins pushed Calzaghe's head down with his left hand and threatened to throw a straight right before Cortez intervened. It's exactly that type of fighting which Hatton prefers.

Anyway, the guys at Setanta started this whole affair by whining about Cortez during the broadcast. Total lack of insight and professionalism on their part.

Worst. Ref. Ever.

He's trying to become a celebrity via shoddy reffing, being the centre of attention and crappy catchphrases. WTF are they doing letting this gimp do his embarrassing "firm but fair" shite? He even made sure he was on camera between every round by visiting the corners to chat his bollocks.

I hope he enjoyed the crowd serenading him with "the referee's a wanker".

Cortez has been around forever and most fighters talk great about him. Also last nights fight was a bitch to call, many refs would have bought bhop's whining and taken a point from Calzaghe and Cortez didn't. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Cortez in my opinion is the best ref to work on a championship fight. I mean, can you imagine what kind of job Jay Nady would have done last night? I thought Cortez called it right down the middle, he called both fighters on their rough tactics and did not deduct a point from either one.

I think there's a difference between Hatton's clinching and B-Hop's clinching although the TS does have a point about Cortez' recent performances in big fights. Cortez tends to favour the higher profile fighter in fights and shows bias. That said, although I didn't think his actions in the Mayweather/Hatton + B-Hop/Calzaghe fights were consistent, I doubt they changed the eventual outcomes.

That said, although I didn't think his actions in the Mayweather/Hatton + B-Hop/Calzaghe fights were consistent, I doubt they changed the eventual outcomes.

Agreed - Hattons was fighting out of his natural weight division and Mayweather was far better on the night at least.

If Cortez had ref'd the Calzaghe fight more fairly then Joe would have won by a bigger margin as he would have warned and then docked Hopkins points for use of the head, and deliberately punching on the break....

The issue I have is that in the Hatton fight he wouldnt let the fighters get close, which suited mayweather.

In the Hopkins fight he let hopkins grab all the time to stifle the fight.

Thats inconsistent - perhaps is coincidence that it was pro-USA fighters both fights but where theres smoke etc etc

I think the major problem in Hatton vs Mayweather was Floyd grabbing hold when they got in close so they would be broken up. Hatton was wanting to stay in close but not really hold.

He's trying to become a celebrity via shoddy reffing, being the centre of attention and crappy catchphrases. WTF are they doing letting this gimp do his embarrassing "firm but fair" shite? He even made sure he was on camera between every round by visiting the corners to chat his bollocks.

Joe Cortez has been the same Joe Cortez for 20+ years in refereeing. You're the one chatting bullocks.

Cortez is generally good. But the way he officiated the Mayweather-Hatton fight was questionable. Besides having little to say when Mayweather deliberately rammed Hatton with forearms/elbows, he was indeed very quick to create distance between Mayweather and Hatton.

QFT .......... personally , since the Hatton disgrace , i think he's a prick !!
proved again against Joe early sunday morning. Hopkins got hit on the belt 2-4 inches away from his goolies, soft lad used his EXP to claim 3 mins. But the fact Joe pretended to bum Hop as he bent over was funny as fuck, had me lolling !!

Hatton- holds and hits

Hopkins- hits and holds

Worlds of difference between the two.

watch the Hopkins-Calzaghe fight again. i think you'll realize that Hopkins does indeed hold and hit

The issue I have is that in the Hatton fight he wouldnt let the fighters get close, which suited mayweather.

That was the theory before the fight occured, but in actuality, Hatton was getting mugged in the clinches as well. He was supposed to be a better in-fighter, but Mayweather showed he could fight just as dirty as Hatton, and was more effective with it. It was Hatton who was getting hit with forearms, elbows and fists in the clinches, not Mayweather, so Joe Cortez wasnt helping any one fighter over the other. Hatton was in a fight where there was no where safe for him, whether inside or at distance.

That was the theory before the fight occured, but in actuality, Hatton was getting mugged in the clinches as well. He was supposed to be a better in-fighter, but Mayweather showed he could fight just as dirty as Hatton, and was more effective with it. It was Hatton who was getting hit with forearms, elbows and fists in the clinches, not Mayweather, so Joe Cortez wasnt helping any one fighter over the other. Hatton was in a fight where there was no where safe for him, whether inside or at distance.

Thank you....The Brits just will never let the Hatton fight go.

Back