Will Leon fighting Usman consecutively play against him?

LoveSherdogThisTime

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hear me out, I think when a fighter fights the same opponent twice or more consecutively, he/she gets too used to that opponent.

Example: Adesanya after Pereira, Stipe after DC, Poirier after Conor

Do you think this will play against Leon's preparations for his upcoming fight?

I think Edwards staying active, even if it's against same opponent, is beneficial to him. Colby has sat out large chunks of what is probably the second half of his career (I believe he peaked a little while ago and is plateauing or even declining), and may be rusty or unable to maintain the same pace he always pushes, which is his main weapon.

Hear me out, I think when a fighter fights the same opponent twice or more consecutively, he/she gets too used to that opponent.

Absolutely not, there isn't a more similar fighter to Colby in the UFC than Usman(at WW at least). Having fought Usman twice in a row will help Edwards greatly against Colby.

Last edited:
I'd say the constant drilling of wrestling and takedown defense will only pay dividends taking that forward into a fight with Colby.

He will need to make adjustments of course, they don't fight or indeed wrestle the same way, but any kind of wrestling defense and wrist control is still going to help against all wrestling based opponents.

Colby is a wild striker with a diminished chin and probably an inferior grappler to Usman.

I think Leon should beat him fairly easily tbh and two fights against Usman is as good prep as you could want.

These guys fight like once a year if we're lucky I don't think they're more or less used to anyone

I think it's the opposite actually because Usman and Colby are very similar. I don't think he could've had a better start going into camp for Colby, right after having done 2 camps for a heavy pressure wrestler / boxer like Usman. That's also a reason why the chance for Leon winning are increased imo.

Have we done a poll on that fight yet?
I'm curious to see where my fellow SherGOATs land on the topic.

Leon is going to beat Colby. Then hopefully the UFC shoehorns in a Masdival fight in to throw Leon a bone. Then Leon will start having issues.

Almost every long time champ besides Aldo and Woodley get a run back at their belt and almost all the the old champ doesn't get his belt back. Izzy did it. Nunes did it. Stipe did it. I remember Aldo never getting his run back against McGregor but he fought Holloway back to back didn't he?

Also with the brain damage Colby got from the one hit wonder, he's basically fighting a handicapped person. No worries.
<Fedor23>

Colby and Usman aren't different enough wrestlers to make Leon have to prepare entirely differently. Colby has better cardio and grappling, but the grappling disparity between usman and colby is negligible. probably not enough to change the outcome of the takedown attempts.

the cardio, though. if Colby can make it into rounds 4/5 and still putting that pressure against the cage... and he stole one of the 1-3 rounds...he could 48-47 this.

Leon is going to beat Colby. Then hopefully the UFC shoehorns in a Masdival fight in to throw Leon a bone. Then Leon will start having issues.

Almost every long time champ besides Aldo and Woodley get a run back at their belt and almost all the the old champ doesn't get his belt back. Izzy did it. Nunes did it. Stipe did it. I remember Aldo never getting his run back against McGregor but he fought Holloway back to back didn't he?

Aldo was offered a rematch with Conor 3 months after losing to him. He declined the fight because he didn't want to fight Conor on short notice. I couldn't believe it. He had just fought Conor a few months before, trained for him and camped for him... but didn't want the rematch at that time. Missed his chance.

Same argument for Colby...he fought Usman twice and Masvibum twice.

I think his age will beat him eventually, but Colby is up there as well and is coming off a much longer layoff.

A pro fighter should be able to train for the first fight with a person. Then change and make adjustments for the instant rematch if necessary. Because you should NOT train for your last fight. You need to train for your next fight.

Then if the next opponent has a totally different style. A good team should be able to adapt to that style, too.

Just look at the Stipe/DC trilogy. Apart from the eyepokes they were three totally different fights.

Also with the brain damage Colby got from the one hit wonder, he's basically fighting a handicapped person. No worries.
<Fedor23>

Boomerangs are deadly, lucky he survived.

Y1Ldfw.gif

If anything that back to back Usman training likely means edwards is out wrestling Colby too

Leon is a generalist. He is good at everything and great at nothing.

I don't see this making much of a difference for him. He'll have to counter wrestle a good deal and needs to be in shape.

Back