Will Edgar be the first to take down Mendes?

Im sure they will both land a takedown on eachother at some point in the fight but neither will be able to hold the other down. Unless mendes lands a big shot early which is definitely possible

This fight has so many questions to be answered inside the octagon. I can't wait.

I think Frankie definitely has the wrestling capability to take down Mendes.

Probably. He took down Faber & BJ Penn, and those are no easy tasks either.

Maybe Bendo too, I forget

Took Bendo down multiple times in both fights. Bendo is basically a WW and Frankie can probably cut to BW. The guy is unreal.

No. He just can't take Mendes down.
And lol at "I think Mendes will gas". Classic comment by someone who only saw his last match.
Mendes, like everyone at Team Alpha Male, has amazing cardio.
1) That fight was on short notice and 2) taking too many shots to the body kills your cardio.

I've been watching Mendes fight since his WEC days and while I do agree that his cardio is really good when he's had a full camp, I think Edgar's pressure will get to him and you know Edgar has more gas than Mendes does, full camp or no. I think you're underestimating Edgar and it's not like I'm saying Mendes has no chance. Faber looked unusually slow against Edgar admittedly(don't know why) but Edgar basically dominated him in a wrestling match despite the fact that Faber usually pops right back up like a cat when taken down.

Also, it is possible to disagree with someone and remain civil.

He will, but just for points. He'll pop back up probably before Chad even begins to scramble back up. 48-47, 47-48, 49-46 split decision.

I expect a few takedowns

No. He just can't take Mendes down.
And lol at "I think Mendes will gas". Classic comment by someone who only saw his last match.
Mendes, like everyone at Team Alpha Male, has amazing cardio.
1) That fight was on short notice and 2) taking too many shots to the body kills your cardio.

He gassed in the first round of the Aldo 2 fight, watch it again, hes in a bad way at the end of the first even before he gets dropped by those scandalously late cheap shots.

However I dont think Chad gasses here, he will overpower and hunt Edgar down just like he did to Lamas and KO him pretty easy in the 1st tbh.

I've been watching Mendes fight since his WEC days and while I do agree that his cardio is really good when he's had a full camp, I think Edgar's pressure will get to him and you know Edgar has more gas than Mendes does, full camp or no. I think you're underestimating Edgar and it's not like I'm saying Mendes has no chance. Faber looked unusually slow against Edgar admittedly(don't know why) but Edgar basically dominated him in a wrestling match despite the fact that Faber usually pops right back up like a cat when taken down.

Also, it is possible to disagree with someone and remain civil.

his cardio is very very suspect actually, think about it how could it not be look at the muscle mass hes carrying around. Nobody in any weight class is carrying that massive frame around without paying for it cardio wise.

Edgar can have all the cardio he wants and I really like Edgar who doesnt but I see him getting KTFO here a lot if this fight happens 10 times. Maybe 7/10 Mendes by TKO 1/10 Edgar by decision and 1/10 Edgar by stoppage. 1/10 decision. I really do not see this going to a decision with Chads cardio tbh.

I believe so, if anyone can do it, its Frankie. He will mix up the strikes and TD Chad when he doesn't expect it.

Frankie is one of the best takedown artists in the sport. He's taken down guys with fantastic TDD, including Maynard, Penn, Henderson, Faber, and even Aldo.

Mendes has never been taken down in his mma career.

Which gives?

I think Mendes is the better wrestler, but I expect them to both get each other down at different times in this fight, as they're both great at transitioning.

I believe Mendes will win the fight though. Too much power for Frankie to deal with, who is a great fighter but definitely the G.O.A T. of overrated chins.

No he won't. He's like GSP where his wrestling success comes from using his striking to set it up. He had big time trouble taking Aldo down, and I just don't think when it comes down to pure wrestling that he will be able to take down Mendes.

He could be able to get a good shot by using his striking but I just don't see him being able to finish it because of Mendes base, and even if he does, I highly doubt he keeps Mendes down longer than a few seconds

Only if Chad gasses. I favour Mendes, unfortunately.

Mendes is going to be the first one that finishes Edgar.

Probably. He took down Faber & BJ Penn, and those are no easy tasks either.

Maybe Bendo too, I forget

He took down all of them. I think he will threaten mendes in the early rounds, but not complete a takedown till round 4 ish.

No he won't. He's like GSP where his wrestling success comes from using his striking to set it up. He had big time trouble taking Aldo down, and I just don't think when it comes down to pure wrestling that he will be able to take down Mendes.

He could be able to get a good shot by using his striking but I just don't see him being able to finish it because of Mendes base, and even if he does, I highly doubt he keeps Mendes down longer than a few seconds

Even if that's the case, it's still enough to keep Mendes on edge and keep him thinking.

Back